Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2002, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Starwood, Hilton
Arrow JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Has anyone stayed at the Marriott in Rio de Janeiro (Copacabana)? I'm interested in hearing any good/bad experiences. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by thirdcoAAst (edited 11-13-2002).]
Old Nov 13, 2002, 9:57 pm

The Marriott in Rio is a beautiful hotel- I *almost* felt guilty staying there on business! The location can't be beat, great rooftop pool/sundeck, concierge lounge w/local fruits and pastries for breakfast, and the most delicious chocolates left on your pillow! Only downside would be the high price. Otherwise, wonderful!
Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Starwood, Hilton
Thanks for the info. I will be there on vacation, so having it seem more like a resort is a good thing. Seems like a good use of points.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 9:55 am

Rio de Janeiro Marriott--Any opinions?

Any one stayed at the Rio Marriott? How are the rooms, views, service, location?
Old Nov 22, 2002, 9:00 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Must be nice, as I wanted to book a room in June for New Year's and it was sold out at that time.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
It is the BIGG activities for New Years, that books the hotels. Everyone goes to the beach for some special ceremonials at Midnight.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Yes - I have stayed at the Rio Marriott - it's a JW Marriott. I stayed there in May last year soon after it opened. It's in a great location right on the Copacabana with a fantastic concierge lounge. E-Mail me if you have any specific questions.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 6:43 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Haven't been to Rio since the Marriott opened, but I walked past it when it was under construction. Nice location.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Vasbyte:
it's a JW Marriott</font>
Now it is, but it originally opened as a Marriott and got converted to JW some time ago.

Muerz
Old Sep 1, 2003, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Marriott Rio de Janeiro

I did a search already but nothing turned up on this property.

Does anyone have any info/trip reports on it?

Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2003, 10:41 pm

I was in Rio in February. I considered staying in the Marriott, but picked the Sheraton instead. The Marriott is across the street from the beach - as are all the big hotels along Ipanema and Copacabanna beaches. Also, most of these hotels have small roof-top swimming pools. The Sheraton is the only hotel directly on the beach. It also has two big pools. It has more of a resort feel, which is what I was looking for. It's up on a hill by itself, but you can walk to Ipanema or take a short cab ride.

The Marriott is a fairly new hotel I believe. It looked nice enough, but it depends on what you're looking for from your hotel. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 3:13 pm

I stayed at this Marriott a little over a year ago. I was there on business, so the high price didn't bother me.

Otherwise, I thought it was a very nice hotel - across the street from the beach; clean, modern rooms; rooftop sundeck and pool. The concierge lounge was particularly nice and had a great selection of local fruits and pastries for breakfast.

I could have sworn I posted a FT review on this hotel before, but nothing turned up when I did a search ... maybe I dreamed it!
Old Sep 4, 2003, 1:05 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I was there two weeks ago and it is a great hotel. The entire staff was friendly and attentive and everyone spoke english, I mean everyone. The location is fine and they have a private, secure area on Copacabana beach during the day where you can feel comfortable leaving your items while enjoying the beach. I must say it isn't the cheapest hotel in the city and if cost is an issue you could certainly do better elsewhere. Overall it was a great place and met all my needs, I would certainly use the hotel again and recommend it to all FT'ers.

If there is something specific or area of interest about the place just post a response or e-mail me directly and I will do my best to answer.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 3:49 am

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
I stayed there a few years ago - just after it opened - and it's a great property. I too remember posting a review but could not find it!
Old Sep 4, 2003, 4:20 am
R&R

OK! OK!
I will stay there for a week in October on an award. I should get my monies worth!

The idea of being on the beach is neat. It is 24 years, since I stayed on beach in the Othon Palace or something like that. Still remember the breakfast with the great coffee, fruit, and trays of meats, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.