Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

4am intruder in my room, PHX Airport Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4am intruder in my room, PHX Airport Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:10 am

File your own police report, independent of the hotel's. The hotel may have/have not filed a police report, but you are the victim of a crime here, not the hotel. The sooner the better.

THEN you can take the police report and send that to Marriott corporate and see how quickly they react.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Paki81
...and see a guy standing 2 feet away from me and the side door is open.
While I have never been in a room when a stranger enters, it has happened to me three different times when I've just checked in, been handed my keys, open my room door, and some other guest is already in there!

They look at you terrified and angry, as if I were a thief. I quickly explain that the hotel messed up. They see my luggage and key, so they believe me. I step into the hall to use a courtesy phone, and they straighten it out, with apologies.

However, all three times the hotel was kinda cavalier about it. "Oh sorry, the desk clerk must have magnetized your key to the wrong room. Let us get you another."

I was shocked when it happened a few years later, and then again a third time. Beware, folks.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Extremely odd set of circumstances but from staying there exactly once and experiencing a very cavalier attitude towards everything, this doesn't surprise me.

So what's the suspected MO here? An insider gets some master keys/tools, gets dressed in PJ's to pretend to be a disoriented guest in case he gets caught and robs people in their sleep? Pretty ballsy for one room space. Or he's trying to break into unoccupied rooms? Or find a place to sleep? What went missing?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Laptop and Cash is what was taken.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:00 pm

I moved the side table infront of the door so atleast I know if someone is trying to do something.
This seems odd. Was the lock to the connecting room door broken? I am a freak about security in hotels and I would never move furniture to block a door. I likely would check the deadbolt though. If you were careful enough to move furniture did you not check the deadbolt? Assuming you did check the deadbolt how could somehow open a connecting door? That would seem difficult. Not impossible I realize but difficult. I have seen how quick hotel employees get into rooms using coat hanger type devices under the door. It's a bit scary really.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by JackE
As a security guard, he might have had a way to get around the deadbolt on your side. If someone dies from natural causes, or is otherwise incapacitated, and the doors are bolted, obviously properties need a way to get in. Using a door wedge is the only protection..
As the pics show, it's a simple deadbolt on the connecting door. One for each.

I don't think I've ever had a room where the connecting door is right by the bed like that.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, as a former hotel employee . . . I think there's more to this story. A security guy in pajamas? I'm wondering if the two incidents are separate. Some guest in the connecting room thought he'd try the door, it wasn't locked, and he walked in. And they had some (poorly described) incident with a security guard who "wouldn't leave." And now there's a missing computer and cash? (Although at first Paki81 just said it was "some electronics" that were missing.) Hotel employees certainly lie and make up stories (I was instructed to do so when I worked for Hyatt), but there are a lot of inconsistencies in this story as it's being told to us here.

I'd certainly want to be a lot clearer and more consistent in any police report I might file.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
As the pics show, it's a simple deadbolt on the connecting door. One for each.

I don't think I've ever had a room where the connecting door is right by the bed like that.

The picture I see is like just about every connecting door I have ever seen at a hotel. It's flat in the middle space so the other room can open their door but NOT the other room's door. Not to say it's impossible to open but it would take someone with a reasonable tool to break in. It's not a "simple deadbolt" that would merely require someone with knowledge on picking locks to open. Instead they would have to have a tool to reach under both doors and then up to get to the lock which I think would be difficult. Unless of course it was unlocked in the first place!? It is scary, for sure, but the whole thing seems odd to me. I need more info.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Well, as a former hotel employee . . . I think there's more to this story. A security guy in pajamas? I'm wondering if the two incidents are separate. Some guest in the connecting room thought he'd try the door, it wasn't locked, and he walked in. And they had some (poorly described) incident with a security guard who "wouldn't leave." And now there's a missing computer and cash? (Although at first Paki81 just said it was "some electronics" that were missing.) Hotel employees certainly lie and make up stories (I was instructed to do so when I worked for Hyatt), but there are a lot of inconsistencies in this story as it's being told to us here.

I'd certainly want to be a lot clearer and more consistent in any police report I might file.

Funny thing. I thought the same. Two separate events.

There needs to be a lot more questions asked to put together this series of events.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: SWA CP, HH Diamond
If the stories are indeed connected, this is a blatant misstep on the Marriot management's part. Anytime an incident as severe as this one occurs, the guest- especially one who reports an issue, should be checked on and an incident report created.

However, I think additional details are needed from the OP- did they not notice the laptop missing their first day (along with the cash)? That would have been an immediate red flag to file a police report.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
"Me = What time is it?
Clerk = 4:22
Me = AM or PM?
Clerk = AM
Me = Why r ppl walking in my room?
Clerk = I dont know
Me = Have ur GM call me tomr morning

and I hang up. Its 6AM and I get up. I had a big day ahead starting with meetings at 7:30AM and I still had work to do. I am focused on doing some work/getting ready and go to work. I come back at 5PM and look for my the guy who usually checks me in (Michael) and he's not there. I go back to the room, take a little nap and then as I am leaving for dinner, I see Michael so decide to talk to him."

When did you discover the cash & laptop missing? 4:22am or 6am or 5pm or after the nap? How did you do work at 6am without a laptop? Why would you leave the hotel without your laptop or making a fuss about its whereabouts? (I'm assuming a laptop is critical to most business traveler's jobs, perhaps yours is not...)

File a police report immediately!

Last edited by joshua362; Mar 14, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Just got a call from the GM. Basically, the security company they contract with had an employee that was not supposed to be here but came through and without anyone noticed, grabbed the master key set and ended up in my room. The items have been recovered from another room where he stored them. He was very apologetic to what transpired and the fact that he did not reach out sooner.

So, all is well that ends well but I am not going to stay at this property again.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
"Me = What time is it?
Clerk = 4:22
Me = AM or PM?
Clerk = AM
Me = Why r ppl walking in my room?
Clerk = I dont know
Me = Have ur GM call me tomr morning

and I hang up. Its 6AM and I get up. I had a big day ahead starting with meetings at 7:30AM and I still had work to do. I am focused on doing some work/getting ready and go to work. I come back at 5PM and look for my the guy who usually checks me in (Michael) and he's not there. I go back to the room, take a little nap and then as I am leaving for dinner, I see Michael so decide to talk to him."

When did you discover the cash & laptop missing? 4:22am or 6am or 5pm or after the nap? How did you do work at 6am without a laptop? Why would you leave the hotel without your laptop or making a fuss about its whereabouts? (I'm assuming a laptop is critical to most business traveler's jobs, perhaps yours is not...)

File a police report immediately!
I travel with 2 laptops. 1 for work and 1 personal (as I do free lance work). My typical ritual is,

- Get to my room
- Get clothes ready for next day so I have to spend the least amount of time to get dressed and leave

Some clarifications for those who care, I typically do some catch up on my personal laptop every day and then leave it in my carry on which I usually put on the sofa. The carry on is typically unlocked and never had a problem before. I also do not take my personal laptop with me to work because I can't be running 2 laptops at work; not to mention extra weight that I have to carry around.

The reason why I never noticed it is as soon as I got up at 6AM, I used the work laptop to finish up some work and left and then when I got back from work, I wanted to get some rest and then go out eat and then come back to my daily ritual of getting ready/catching up on personal stuff.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Just got a call from the GM. Basically, the security company they contract with had an employee that was not supposed to be here but came through and without anyone noticed, grabbed the master key set and ended up in my room. The items have been recovered from another room where he stored them. He was very apologetic to what transpired and the fact that he did not reach out sooner.

So, all is well that ends well but I am not going to stay at this property again.
That's pretty disturbing. A big fail on many counts.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:33 pm

Glad it worked out, but I'd still contact law enforcement AND a lawyer. You need a paper trail of this above and beyond a Flyertalk forum!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.