Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy London Excel - UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

http://news.marriott.com/2017/03/mox...debuts-london/

"Located near the ExCeL London convention centre and London City Airport, the 164-room hotel will be a gateway to the city’s East End and a 24/7 spot for all things fun and impromptu. "

Category 6.

Special opening rates at the new Moxy London Excel begin at Ł89.

Three room types: a) queen bed; b) 2 single/twin beds; c) queen + sleeper sofa

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-london-excel/
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:51 am

Stayed at Moxy London Excel just a couple days ago. Price was right, so it caught my eye. Its 30 minute or so ride to central London, just across the way from London City Airport. Short 5 minute walk( from 2 DLR stations. The walk is a little dark at night, but not creepy. There are a few other hotels next to this Moxy. Employees were friendly, with many games to play and things to do in the lobby.
Room was small, no closet (through there was a wall rack with hangers), and very little space for luggage storage. Bathroom had those large bottles of conditioner, shampoo/bodywash, and hand wash (rather than individual bottles).
Breakfast was basic US continental breakfast. One could be creative and use the microwave to warm up items. Bar was open 24/7, and the staff was able to make just about any drink.
There were a couple Imacs and a printer to use, along with lots of reading material, a turntable, some albums, a few table games, and some of those coloring books to pass time.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Thanks for the update - we have booked a one night stay in June because our usual West India Quay Marriott has silly rates at the moment.

Nick
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
This is just along the street from SPG's Aloft Excel (which is in the same premium/distinctive market sector) though not quite so convenient/close to the DLR and the Excel centre.

Would be interested if anyone can post experiences comparing these two properties.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:39 pm
alc

planning a week stay (using the 7-night TP cert) in London during the summer this year and just saw this thread over the weekend. Would also love to hear some more stay report as well.

Google Map show it is close to a DLR station, so seems convenience.

Last edited by alc; Apr 3, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
This is just along the street from SPG's Aloft Excel (which is in the same premium/distinctive market sector) though not quite so convenient/close to the DLR and the Excel centre.

Would be interested if anyone can post experiences comparing these two properties.
I'm currently set to stay at Moxy for the first part of my trip next month but am still trying to figure out what I'm doing my last two days or so in the UK. Staying at the Aloft is one possibility. I'll be sure to update this thread with my thoughts if I do stay there.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I was booking a multi-night stay in December at this Moxy property. When I searched individual nights, some nights were available at a lower rate, but if I searched for the duration of the trip, the price quoted was a higher rate for each night. So rather than show "rate changes during your stay" it just quoted the higher rate for every night.

So... I am considering booking consecutive individual nights. However, I have never stayed at a Moxy before and I understand there is a lot of self-service involved (perhaps including check-in). Does anyone have any experience with whether I will be able to string these reservations together when I check in? Or will this require me to physically check out each night and then check in the next day? Thanks for any insight!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gary_nj

So... I am considering booking consecutive individual nights. However, I have never stayed at a Moxy before and I understand there is a lot of self-service involved (perhaps including check-in). Does anyone have any experience with whether I will be able to string these reservations together when I check in? Or will this require me to physically check out each night and then check in the next day? Thanks for any insight!
Just tell them at check-in you've got individual nights booked & they can merge them into a single reservation so you don't have to check in/out. You'll need to note that the rates are different & check your folio before checkout.

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Thanks! I have stayed at "millennial-friendly" hotels, and some have done check-in by scanning a barcode from the confirmation... so I wasn't sure how much human interaction would be available. Sounds like check-in might be closer to what I am used to seeing. Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Can I ask those who stayed at this hotel if your points posted correctly [and at what rate]?

I was there on Sunday night, and this morning points posted, but I can't tally them up with the paid amount.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
They've managed to convert 64 GBP into 64 USD and award points accordingly. I know pounds is not doing great atm, but didn't think it was that bad

Quick call to MR CS resolved it.

ETA: no points for the food spend.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
I stayed here the other day. Wasn't expecting much and was very pleasantly surprised. Friendly staff, efficient check-in, nice room with decent shower, 24hr bar and fun lobby area, very convnient for the DLR ... and at less than half the rate for the very similar nearby Aloft. Will happily stay here again.
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I can't see much difference between the two brands, except that in this instance the Moxy was consistently and significantly cheaper. I suppose the Aloft is slightly closer to its nearest DLR station but there's not much in it at all. I'll be returning to the Moxy, never really enjoyed the Aloft.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by ajamieson
I stayed here the other day. Wasn't expecting much and was very pleasantly surprised. Friendly staff, efficient check-in, nice room with decent shower, 24hr bar and fun lobby area, very convnient for the DLR ... and at less than half the rate for the very similar nearby Aloft. Will happily stay here again.

I can't see much difference between the two brands, except that in this instance the Moxy was consistently and significantly cheaper. I suppose the Aloft is slightly closer to its nearest DLR station but there's not much in it at all. I'll be returning to the Moxy, never really enjoyed the Aloft.
I have stayed at both properties and a lot at the Aloft and that would easily be my first choice! The Aloft is obviously right next to the DLR rather than a short walk, but certainly doesn't overly count against the Moxy in my mind.

Checkin and the concept is similar at both although the bar area at the Aloft I probably prefer it is not 24 hours whereas the Moxy is.

Breakfast wise as a Plat you get a full Breakfast at the Aloft in the Docksider restaurant which I do find to be very good whereas the Moxy felt limited. To me an easy win for the Aloft.

As for the rooms, I much prefer the bed at the Aloft think it is far ahead of the Moxy although I guess this is personal preference. In regards the shower probably not much in it, both are pretty good. I like the room layout of the Aloft but know some do not.

The Aloft also has a pool and the gym whereas not with Moxy so again a clear winner!

To me the Moxy did the job of I needed to be near LCY but it would never be a hotel I would choose to spend a few days at whereas the Aloft is somewhere I could happily spend 3-5 nights if I needed to be East side of London. It is the more complete hotel and is in my opinion a level above the Moxy.

When the Excel has big events on the Aloft can get expensive while the Moxy can stay cheap but equally there are times when both are very similar priced and in those instances the Aloft would always get my stays.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Windows CAN be opened at this hotel, but beware if you have a room facing the airport as it will be quite noisy when the windows are open.

Nearest transport stop to the hotel is the DLR (docklands light rail) station called "Royal Albert". Warning ! If for any reason the elevator is not working it's a LOT of stairs.

Apart from 1 large and popular Chinese restaurant called "Yi Ban" there are no shops or restaurants anywhere nearby. (Except of course in the 3 other hotels along the same street). To get to the chinese restaurant just walk through the car park on the other side of the road and go up the stairs. They have nice views of the water and the airport. Large portions and reasonable prices, but don't expect great quality food. It was ok, but nothing more. Open every single day from lunch time till quite late. Postcode to find it on the map is E16 2QT. Website here:
https://yi-ban.co.uk/

For a proper supermarket you will need to take the DLR train 3 stops to "Royal Victoria" station where there is a Tesco.

The Excel (Exhibition Centre London) is close, but you will need to walk under Connaught bridge to get there. The Doubletree and Aloft hotels on the other side of Connaught bridge are both closer to the excel. Hotel prices can be quite cheap here when there is nothing going on at the excel, but are ludricously expensive when there is a big event there.

London City Airport

Do not be fooled by the apparent closeness of this hotel to London city airport. While it is technically very close geographically, getting to/from city airport is not that easy no matter how you decide to travel. The cheapest and easiest way is to get a DLR train to "Canning Town" and then get out and get another DLR train going "backwards" to "Royal Albert" station.

The red TFL bus to/from the airport only stops at the lower side of "Prince Regent" DLR station. You then have to either walk either half a mile (800 meters) to the hotel, or go up a huge amount of stairs to the DLR station and go one stop to "Royal Albert".

Walking to/from the airport is only really possible if you have very light luggage and it's daytime, as it's a 1 mile (1.6km) walk. When on the north side of the river you will need to cross UNDER the Connaught bridge to get to/from the footpath bridge crossing the river. You cannot walk on the section of the bridge where the cars travel. I would not reccomend walking or taking the bus to/from this hotel at nightime as the whole area you need to walk through is quite dark and abandoned. If it's raining, forget about walking completely. Taxi's to/from the airport cost about 10 GBP. Even more on Saturdays and Sundays and weekdays after 10pm.

Hotels located near "Canning town" DLR and tube (metro) station are much, much easier for getting to/from London city airport.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Sep 2, 2020 at 10:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.