Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in St Louis, MO (STL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One

I have an upcoming stay in St Louis and was looking for recent feedback on properties in the city. For this stay, I have my options narrowed down to Marriott St. Louis Airport, Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel, or Marriott St. Louis Grand. All seem to be of comparable distance to my ultimate destination (Scott AFB). Thanks in advance for your comments!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:40 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
There is nothing special about either of the airport hotels and they are at least 15 minutes further, in no traffic, to Scott then the downtown Marriott. If it were me and I didn't want to stay downtown ( and I wouldn't) I would look at the Residence Inn St Louis Galleria. It is right off 64 which is the way to Scott and it is about the same distance or a little shorter than staying at the airport. You will have the Galleria mall right there and a number of good restaurants to choose from in the area and you are only a few minutes from Clayton.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:22 am

Marriott West

If you want a fullscale Marriott, the Marriott West is a decent choice. Stayed there several times. Easy access to the interstate, easy/free parking.

I'm not a fan of either airport properties. Nothing special, not much in that area, lots of traffic...
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to give the Marriott St. Louis Grand a shot. It is closer to my destination, and also has a HLE, so I can conveniently pick up my car just before my meeting instead of after landing at STL.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Marriott St. Louis Grand is very nice, just went thru a HUGE Renovation, Ask for a corner room on one of the top two floors, they have floor to ceiling glass.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justus1900
Marriott St. Louis Grand is very nice, just went thru a HUGE Renovation, Ask for a corner room on one of the top two floors, they have floor to ceiling glass.
Good tip...thx!

If anyone has meal suggestions, PLMK. I got a recommendation for Pi (a pizza place) but it closes at 10 and since i land just after 830 that will be sketchy by the time I Uber to the hotel, check in, etc.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Posting back regarding my experience, as promised...

I was very, very happy with my stay. Admittedly, it was only 1 night, and I didn't interact too much with hotel staff or services. But, my stay was basically perfect.

Some observations:
1. very pleasant lady at checkin proactively offered a suite upgrade. Amusingly, she did ask for my ID to verify my special rate...the first time I've been asked in at least 4 years. I got a nice corner room on the 9th floor...high enough for an interesting view. It was a very nice room, with the "updated" Marriott decor, and it did include a desk, as well as a refrigerator. Bathroom was HUGE.
2. the room featured a safe, which is important to me
3. I missed evening food offering Sunday night, but arrived before dessert ended. They had delicious black forest cake.
4. I didn't partake in breakfast Monday morning, but late morning they had out a nice assortment of pastries, including wonderful chocolate nut muffins.
5. the in-room TVs are HD, and feature the "new" system that shows an on-screen schedule and is overall much more responsive than the old LodgeNet system.
6. WSJ and USAT were both delivered to my room as requested. Sadly, I find this noteworthy, because often hotels fail to deliver as promised.
7. the on-site HLE was very convenient with friendly staff. The garage is right across the street, which made for a very convenient rental
8. the exercise room is great...well lit, good ventilation, lots of new equipment, two types of cooled towels (!), individual TVs on machines, etc.
9. there were plenty of late-night dining options within a very short walk, even on a Sunday night
10. while I didn't dine at the restaurant/bar, which is interestingly located in the middle of the lobby (I know it sounds weird, but it works), the menu was very interesting, and not just the standard Marriott fare

As you can tell, I am very happy overall and would recommend this property. I will definitely be staying here again if my business takes me back to this area.

Oh -- I requested 4pm checkout when I checked in and was granted it without question. The app wouldn't let me checkout around 3:30, so I called to do so. When I did, the lady casually said, "we'll be charging you for an extra half day, is that ok?". I replied something like "Why would you do that?" and she immediately said, "oh, I apologize, I see you have a 4pm checkout...my mistake". So I'd say that they provided the late checkout benefit correctly (I'll forgive the minor hiccup )

Last edited by ikwia; Oct 26, 2016 at 6:56 am
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by scottmlew
Bathroom was HUGE. It also had a refrigerator.
A refrigerator in the bathroom?

David
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
A refrigerator in the bathroom?

David
No, just sloppy wording, now fixed.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by scottmlew
Posting back regarding my experience, as promised...

I was very, very happy with my stay. Admittedly, it was only 1 night, and I didn't interact too much with hotel staff or services. But, my stay was basically perfect.

Some observations:
1. very pleasant lady at checkin proactively offered a suite upgrade. Amusingly, she did ask for my ID to verify my special rate...the first time I've been asked in at least 4 years. I got a nice corner room on the 9th floor...high enough for an interesting view. It was a very nice room, with the "updated" Marriott decor, and it did include a desk, as well as a refrigerator. Bathroom was HUGE.
2. the room featured a safe, which is important to me
3. I missed evening food offering Sunday night, but arrived before dessert ended. They had delicious black forest cake.
4. I didn't partake in breakfast Monday morning, but late morning they had out a nice assortment of pastries, including wonderful chocolate nut muffins.
5. the in-room TVs are HD, and feature the "new" system that shows an on-screen schedule and is overall much more responsive than the old LodgeNet system.
6. WSJ and USAT were both delivered to my room as requested. Sadly, I find this noteworthy, because often hotels fail to deliver as promised.
7. the on-site HLE was very convenient with friendly staff. The garage is right across the street, which made for a very convenient rental
8. the exercise room is great...well lit, good ventilation, lots of new equipment, two types of cooled towels (!), individual TVs on machines, etc.
9. there were plenty of late-night dining options within a very short walk, even on a Sunday night
10. while I didn't dine at the restaurant/bar, which is interestingly located in the middle of the lobby (I know it sounds weird, but it works), the menu was very interesting, and not just the standard Marriott fare

As you can tell, I am very happy overall and would recommend this property. I will definitely be staying here again if my business takes me back to this area.

Oh -- I requested 4pm checkout when I checked in and was granted it without question. The app wouldn't let me checkout around 3:30, so I called to do so. When I did, the lady casually said, "we'll be charging you for an extra half day, is that ok?". I replied something like "Why would you do that?" and she immediately said, "oh, I apologize, I see you have a 4pm checkout...my mistake". So I'd say that they provided the late checkout benefit correctly (I'll forgive the minor hiccup )
Thanks for the detailed trip report. I'll post a link to it in the specific property thread when I get a moment.

Cheers.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Granite City/Pontoon Beach. I had an overnight at the STL airport and the airport hotels were pushing $200. This one was 15 min away, $80, and was rated 4.7 stars on the app.

Great little stay. Super friendly staff. Physical hardware of the hotel maintained to an incredibly high standard — it was a pleasure. Usually in older Fairfield’s there will be stains, rips, tears. This one was immaculate. The fitness center was equally so, as was the kitchen/dining area. I even remarked how clean and bright the bathroom was!

It’s been a while since I’ve stayed at a Fairfield. The vegetarian sausage at breakfast was awesome too! (Obviously meat choice available as well.) And thank you for putting out the Chalua. :-)
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Marriott Properties - Saint Louis, MO

Looking for advice on which properties to consider in the Saint Louis, MO area. The threads that I have seem are generally specific to a single property and dated. I will be passing through with my significant other on a road trip but want to spend a half day downtown around the arch, etc.

We will be driving so want to manage the cost of parking.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
I haven't been since the virus lockdown started so not sure what hotels are open with what amenities.

If you're looking to stay downtown, Hotel St Louis (autograph collection) is the best choice. Brand new, good size rooms and great bar and restaurant. Great elite treatment too.

Marriot Grand was my go to downtown before Hotel STL opened, and Westin is also good. Magnolia is small and lacking on elite benefits, but does have good charm.

Parking downtown at any of the hotels is going to be steep, but there's plenty of on street parking which is free after 7 PM through 8 AM which works great for me since I drive out to the burbs for work.

If you're going to be in the burbs, you'll probably be disappointed in the hotels. I haven't stayed at the Ritz and there's a new Aloft (already open?), but the Sheraton Westport (x2) are very mediocre, the Marriott West is awful, and the Marriott and Renaissance airport are average airport style setups. On the lower end the new Fairfield/Residence Inn combo at Westport are probably your best options. Lots of prior generation CY/TPS/SHS/FI west and south of downtown, should be avoided unless cost is only factor.

Never stayed on IL side. Been flying to STL for 6+ years until recently and have tried the vast majority of the hotels at least once, so glad to share more about a property you're looking at. (Thank the more brands more points promos for my willingness to explore)
skye1 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
Originally Posted by JonasCLT
I haven't been since the virus lockdown started so not sure what hotels are open with what amenities.

If you're looking to stay downtown, Hotel St Louis (autograph collection) is the best choice. Brand new, good size rooms and great bar and restaurant. Great elite treatment too.

Marriot Grand was my go to downtown before Hotel STL opened, and Westin is also good. Magnolia is small and lacking on elite benefits, but does have good charm.

Parking downtown at any of the hotels is going to be steep, but there's plenty of on street parking which is free after 7 PM through 8 AM which works great for me since I drive out to the burbs for work.

If you're going to be in the burbs, you'll probably be disappointed in the hotels. I haven't stayed at the Ritz and there's a new Aloft (already open?), but the Sheraton Westport (x2) are very mediocre, the Marriott West is awful, and the Marriott and Renaissance airport are average airport style setups. On the lower end the new Fairfield/Residence Inn combo at Westport are probably your best options. Lots of prior generation CY/TPS/SHS/FI west and south of downtown, should be avoided unless cost is only factor.

Never stayed on IL side. Been flying to STL for 6+ years until recently and have tried the vast majority of the hotels at least once, so glad to share more about a property you're looking at. (Thank the more brands more points promos for my willingness to explore)
I echo most of this...and I've moved to STL after traveling here frequently. Also consider what you actually want to do when you're here. Nothing glorious about any hotel south of town, or too far west. The Ritz is a good spot and there's alot of food nearby. If you stay downtown, the hotels in general are a lot better than the rest of the city -- but downtown itself isn't amazing for food or walking around (other than the arch). More likely you'd end up wanting to spend time in Central West End, Forest Park, or Delmar Loop.

Also there's a few new properties popping up in the near future...so by the time you come, a newer property might be the best fit.
skye1 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:12 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
There is a new Courtyard/Residence Inn combo in west county just off 270 that’s 15 min from the airport. Also, a new Courtyard just opened in Brentwood which is basically Clayton that is very centrally located and is 15 min from the airport and downtown.
skye1 and obunewbie17 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.