Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is there a simple way to earn 6k points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

I need to earn 6k points to have 100,000 points in order to redeem an award stay. I have no plans to stay at a Marriott property before this trip. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

Do you have membership reward points? You can move 6K MR to SPG and get 2K SPG points. You can then move them to Marriott for 6K Marriott points. Normally, I'd say it's poor value to move Membership Reward points to Starwood, but this is a relatively small amount and could be worth it for the award you want.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Excellent suggestion.

Failing this you need to manufacture till you earn 6000 points. CC sign up etc.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you buy the points from Marriott at a reasonable cost, or alternatively from SPG and transfer them over to MR?

You can earn SPG points from dining in Starwood restaurants without staying, although 6,000 would be a lot of eating. You can also earn SPG points from DL flights through the crossover program, although IIRC you get one point per MQD, so lots of flying or expensive tickets would be needed to get 2,000 Starpoints to convert.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It will cost you $75 to buy 6K points from Marriott & they'll pretty much credit your account immediately (few hours or a day). It's $12.50/1K points.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It will cost you $75 to buy 6K points from Marriott & they'll pretty much credit your account immediately (few hours or a day). It's $12.50/1K points.

Cheers.
That's the way I'd do it.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Do you have membership reward points? You can move 6K MR to SPG and get 2K SPG points. You can then move them to Marriott for 6K Marriott points. Normally, I'd say it's poor value to move Membership Reward points to Starwood, but this is a relatively small amount and could be worth it for the award you want.
I use a Delta AMEX card so no MR points.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might want to look at your accounts carefully to be sure that all MR and SPG points have posted correctly, including crossover from DL. You could find some significant errors in your favor.

You're not planning to stay in a Marriott but how about a Starwood? The current promo gives triple points for two night (or more) stays that include a weekend night.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
You may wanna do a cheap one night brg run with starwood, and choose the 2000pt reward, then transfer this over to Marriott.

Last edited by shevboyz; Sep 27, 2016 at 8:25 am
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You might want to look at your accounts carefully to be sure that all MR and SPG points have posted correctly, including crossover from DL. You could find some significant errors in your favor.
As mentioned I do not have MR points.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
As mentioned I do not have MR points.
MR = Marriott Rewards
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:51 am

If you have Chase freedom, just buy a $1200 Costco/Sam Club Gift card for 5x UR points and transfer the 6K UR points to Marriott.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Need
If you have Chase freedom, just buy a $1200 Costco/Sam Club Gift card for 5x UR points and transfer the 6K UR points to Marriott.
Or the OP could spend $75 (vs. spending $1.2K) & buy the 6K points directly from Marriott. No muss, no fuss.

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
I just double checked and I have a little over 95k in my account so all I need is an additional 5k points. When I get home tonight I intend to double check and see if I have any orphan SPG points. If not I think the easiest way to approach this is to purchase 5k points at a cost of only $62.50.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Originally Posted by sammyindc
MR = Marriott Rewards
I was replying to SanDiego1K's post where she mentioned Membership Rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.