Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is there a simple way to earn 6k points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a simple way to earn 6k points?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Or the OP could spend $75 (vs. spending $1.2K) & buy the 6K points directly from Marriott. No muss, no fuss.

Cheers.
Saw that up on post 5. Just giving OP another option. I am waiting for October to my next $1500 costco cash card. Been doing that for the last 2 quarters.. as costco cash card is same as cash for me. $75 is enough to get me 6 packs of the Korean BBQ pork jerky from Costco. Been buying them in pack of 6 to 8 every week... crazy tasty like candy bacon.... probably going to kill me soon....
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If someone was going to spend $1.2K on a cash card that might work. For others $75 & 6K points depositing into one's account w/in a few hours & not having to do transfers or own a particular credit card is just easier.

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I use a Delta AMEX card so no MR points.
Can you be added as an AU to a person with an Amex MR card? If so, you can transfer 6K Amex MR --> 2K SPG --> 6K MR. Or, if you can be added as an AU to an Ink Plus would work too, where you can transfer 6K UR --> 6K MR.

Last edited by Visconti; Sep 27, 2016 at 11:00 am Reason: Addition...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I just double checked and I have a little over 95k in my account so all I need is an additional 5k points. When I get home tonight I intend to double check and see if I have any orphan SPG points. If not I think the easiest way to approach this is to purchase 5k points at a cost of only $62.50.
Update: I logged into my SPG account this morning and discovered 4600 points I didn't even realize existed. The activity came from DL crossover earnings. If I move my SPG points over to Marriott I will have over the 100k I needed. Now I have to research where I am going to get the best bang for the buck redeeming points at either Marriott or SPG.

Thanks to all for their help!!!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
RSSrsvp, enjoy your 5-night vacation at your chosen Cat. 5 Marriott! Plus your 9K Marriott or 3K Starwood points headstart on your next vacation! Or how about a night in a Cat. 2 airport hotel ?
Thanks to the merger which took effect last Friday, you don't have to buy $62.50 in points !
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Update: I logged into my SPG account this morning and discovered 4600 points I didn't even realize existed. The activity came from DL crossover earnings. If I move my SPG points over to Marriott I will have over the 100k I needed. Now I have to research where I am going to get the best bang for the buck redeeming points at either Marriott or SPG.

Thanks to all for their help!!!
That's a lot of DL MQDs to have forgotten. Upthread I said to audit your account looking for missing points or to fly DL for crossover SPG points, but I never dreamed that you could have forgotten about over $5000 of airfare.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Now all I have to see is whether I get a better bang for the buck at Marriott and Starwood properties that are near to each other.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Or the OP could spend $75 (vs. spending $1.2K) & buy the 6K points directly from Marriott. No muss, no fuss.

Cheers.
Would I be correct in assuming that when you purchase points, they also count toward Lifetime Status ???
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by danola
Would I be correct in assuming that when you purchase points, they also count toward Lifetime Status ???
Going from memory but think the answer is yes.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:00 am

Can you check lifetime status (points/nights) online? Or you have to call?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Need
Can you check lifetime status (points/nights) online? Or you have to call?
You can check online. I think I posted where to find it in the SPG forum when someone posted there.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:36 am

You can check online. I think I posted where to find it in the SPG forum when someone posted there.

Cheers.
Found it thanks! Interesting that RC stay does not count toward Marriott lifetime status nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.