Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

An incredible showing of compassion and caring for my wife-RC Aruba

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

Not really a trip report. We are here the better part of a week celebrating and resting as my wife completed chemo for breast cancer. She's cancer free but worn out.

(I added this to the ongoing about Vicky Omni thread, but not everyone sees that.)

Our stay has been fabulous. Upgraded to a 1BR Exec suite. I added club access-fantastic. RC top care all of the way around.

Today went over the top for me-you care for my wife, kids, or grandkids. You get the world from me. Today, Sabine at the RC did.

She knew why we were here and doted on Vicky. Today, a cryptic phone call to show up at the towel hut at 6pm. No idea why.

She showed up with 10 pink balloons each with a word tired to it that might express an emotion felt in the past 8 months.

Anger
Depression
Sadness
Pain
Fear
Stress
and more

As Vicky released the balloons she was letting go of the past. Ironically the balloons became tangled during the process. Very symbolic of our experience. However we got them all untangled.

She also gave us a lovely card. Tears were flowing.
Incredibly thoughtful.

Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Fantastic and I hope that your Wife continues with the recovery process to enjoy life to the full.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was just coming to post a link from Omni (saying that only Omni-enabled folk would be able to view it) showing the above. So glad MrVker posted it here so that everyone could enjoy it. And for those who are Omni-enabled, read the entire thread in Omni. Not only a testament to MrVker & MrsVker, but a testament to FTers & their support as well.

Well done for the property & best wishes for the Vkers.

Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I was just coming to post a link from Omni (saying that only Omni-enabled folk would be able to view it) showing the above. So glad MrVker posted it here so that everyone could enjoy it. And for those who are Omni-enabled, read the entire thread in Omni. Not only a testament to MrVker & MrsVker, but a testament to FTers & their support as well.

Well done for the property & best wishes for the Vkers.

Cheers.
You are 1000% correct.the support from the ft community has been incredible

Last edited by Mr. Vker; Sep 3, 2016 at 9:11 pm
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
You are 1000% correct.the support from the ft community has beenot incredible
I think you meant to say the support from FT community has been incredible. Your post could go either way w/ the 'beenot' LOL.... (and you're right - FTers are so supportive of other FTers when the chips are down).

I'm glad the RC Aruba has treated you & MrsVker so well. Enjoy the rest of your stay, and best wishes for the next phase of her recovery.

Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I think you meant to say the support from FT community has been incredible. Your post could go either way w/ the 'beenot' LOL.... (and you're right - FTers are so supportive of other FTers when the chips are down).

I'm glad the RC Aruba has treated you & MrsVker so well. Enjoy the rest of your stay, and best wishes for the next phase of her recovery.

Cheers.
Thank you fixed due to fat fingers.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
That's awesome--thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Mr Vker, I am more of a lurker than a poster but "know" you well from FT. I wish your wife well and am so very happy that you had such a very awesome experience. Best of everything to the Vker family. xoxo
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:21 pm

That is beautiful.

Very glad your wife is well on her way to health, and normal life resuming.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Just want to say I'm so happy for Ms. Vker! It must have been really hard for both of you. A friend of mine have just gone through the same thing and thank God that she is now cancer free!

Incredible Front desk agent at the RC!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
What a brilliant thing to do.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Follow up

I saw Sabine in the lobby today. She gave us a hug and said goodbye as we wouldn't see her tomorrow. Turns out she's here for 6 months on a college program. She's studying hotel mgmt in the Netherlands.

She said all management had a ceremony for her today. Providing a "first class card" that acknowledged her exceptional service.

I am glad they took care of her. The industry is lucKY to have her.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
What a wonderful trip experience for you and your wife! Thank you for sharing.

We hear alot about what "doesn't work" with airlines, hotels and car rentals. What does work is when individual employees step outside of the corporate mandated minimum customer "service" to make your trip a true customer "experience".

Our best wishes to you both!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Plat
Great story. Having stayed at this property, and experienced their hospitality, I'm not surprised. While Sabine may not be there if/when you return, the staff that is will greet you like family.

Best wishes to your wife and your entire family. You picked the ideal place to recharge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.