Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott - Quito, Ecuador [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2006, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum

Just returned from this hotel.

Check in and concierge staff were extremely knowledgable and professional. They have their own fleet of taxis at competitive rates which are probably safer and definitely roomier than regular choice.
Rooms are spacious and beds and bedding very comfortable. 7th floor executive level is quite basic. Food choices are many and the hotel is close to the airport and some shopping.
The Swisshotel is also very nice but rooms are smaller.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Quito - cool. I've never been - but it's on my list. It's been 3 years since I was last in South America - perhaps I should book a trip!

Thanks for the report.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 4:39 pm
Suspended

nice review. anyone else? i have an upcoming trip and would like to hear more about this property.

thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
I am there on the way to/from the Galapogos in the first half of April, so will post during/after the stay.

Tom
Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:41 am
Suspended

Stayed there last year for a week. I prefer the Hiltons location , much closer to everything (the 2 hotels are appx 20+ min walk from each other).walk out of the Hil and everything is a 2 min walk except the Old City.

Hotel wise no comparision JW beats the Hil with its eyes closed. Everything was newer and nicer and better condition. The massages werent bad either had a couple included in my rate. The lounge at the JW was much better with more offerings. Then again I was at the Hl 4 yrs ago, stopped by when I was at the JW, and didnt miss it 1 bit.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
What to do in Quito?

I'd like to see this thread continued, since Quito is on my wish list as well. I'm thinking about a combo trip: visit Peru and Macchu Pichu first, and then a stop in Quito (with a stay at the Marriott) on the way back to the USA. Setting up a stay in Peru should be easy, since there are many tour groups that serve Peru. How to visit Quito is a bit more of a challenge.

I've already checked with my airline of choice (American), and I can do this on one award ticket using an American partner airline (LAN). It would require 120,000 AA miles for a business class ticket. If I fly from the USA to Lima on an award ticket, I am allowed one stopover, and this could be Quito.

Things I am curious about:
- how many days to devote to a stopover in Quito?
- can you see the main sites in this town on your own? What to see? Or is it better to be with a group?
- my Spanish is limited. Will that pose a problem if we're on our own?
- how to get around when visiting interesting tourist sites or shopping in Quito
- any problems with safety in Ecuador? I have read that crime is a potential problem in Ecuador.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, Marriott PLT, Hilton GLD, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
If you take a look at Viator -

http://www.viator.com/destProdSearch...&categoryName=

There are some examples of the sorts of things that easy to arrange if you wish. I'm looking at doing a stopover here too either on way to or from Galapagos, and I thought three whole days probably, so four nights max.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What is the treatment like offered for Plats? What's the amenity?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
Quito, any recent reviews

Will be in Quito next month. Wondering as a platinum member any recent upgrades given? Also see that the lounge is open but wondering if the offerings are worthwhile or should I change my reservation to include breakfast?
Going to Lima and Cuzco too so any new information concerning those hotels would be helpful.
Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
due to the altitude in Cuzco you'll be offered coca tea (or in some places coca leaf to chew on but it leaves the teeth blackened if used extensively).....it is not only legal, but highly recommended for those not used to the altitude..........

Originally Posted by tatmtr7
Will be in Quito next month. Wondering as a platinum member any recent upgrades given? Also see that the lounge is open but wondering if the offerings are worthwhile or should I change my reservation to include breakfast?
Going to Lima and Cuzco too so any new information concerning those hotels would be helpful.
Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL Platinum/Marriott Gold/RCCL D+/Celebrity Elite/Princess Elite
Originally Posted by tatmtr7
Thanks!
We were at the Quito Marriott in May and really enjoyed our stay.

I wouldn't pay extra for breakfast. The lounge breakfast was excellent... made to order omelets, lots of fruit, a nice coffee machine.

The flower arrangements are absolutely unbelievable. They were so perfect that it was hard to believe they were real.

We stayed at the Country Club in Lima and the Monasterio in Cusco, so I don't have any information for you about the Marriott hotels in those two locations.

It was an amazing trip, enjoy every minute of it!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
Thank you all for your helpful replies. Now I will not pay the extra for the buffet breakfast as it sounds as if the lounge breakfast is more than adequate.
Starting to get excited!
Old May 30, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Airport transportation

Does the hotel provides Airport transportation? If it does, what is O/W cost for it?

Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ACC2008
Does the hotel provides Airport transportation? If it does, what is O/W cost for it?

Thanks
From the hotel's website:

This hotel does not provide shuttle service.

Alternate transportation: VIP LINK; fee: 60 USD (one way) ;on request
Bus service, fee: 2 USD (one way)
Estimated taxi fare: 60 USD (one way)

Was a bit surprised to see it's a Cat 5, so Cat 1-5 certs would work here.

If you do stay there, please do a trip report after your stay as we haven't had one recently. Thx!

Cheers.
Old May 7, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Just completed a pre and post Galapagos stay here. Also extended with a CC free night cert. Was here when the earthquake hit although having dinner nearby when it it hit.

Only visible damage to me was some cracks in the lobby ceiling and on the 9th floor hallway outside my room with some paint chips on the carpet below.

CL was pretty good and could actually replace a meal in the evenings. The wine and alcohol prices are now very high proportionate to food due to the dramatic tax increases in Ecuador.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.