Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Where do Marriott Brands Match Up w/ SPG Brands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where do Marriott Brands Match Up w/ SPG Brands

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding in that Ren properties are supposed to be historic while LMs emphasize art.

RI is widely regarded as the best of all the (USA) extended stay brands across all major hotel families. It shouldn't be combined with Towne Place Suites, which is clearly regarded as a lower tier. Similarly the element extended stay properties are distinctive in that they're positioned as a lifestyle brand.

My overall reaction to the OP's main question is that Starwood has many more interesting and assertional properties than Marriott, which tends to be emphasize cookie cutter sameness (while still, despite what others here say, not firmly enforcing brand standards).
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding in that Ren properties are supposed to be historic while LMs emphasize art.
While there are some historic Rens (Mobile AL Battle House, Pittsburgh Downtown) most are not. There's nothing historic about the Bangkok Ren, The Asheville Ren, the MCO Airport Ren or the Mobile Riverfront Ren. I think Rens are supposed to be upscale, unique properties that deliver Marriott level service but are not cookie-cutter buildings or rooms.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
From my observations over the years, Marriotts are meat and potatoes business hotels. Rens are more artsy, and less homogenous than Marriotts. Personally, I prefer a regular Marriott since I'm pretty sure what I'm going to get every time. Some Rens I like, some I really don't like at all.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by catocony
From my observations over the years, Marriotts are meat and potatoes business hotels. Rens are more artsy, and less homogenous than Marriotts. Personally, I prefer a regular Marriott since I'm pretty sure what I'm going to get every time. Some Rens I like, some I really don't like at all.
Agreed, but I almost always like Rens, but I've experienced a few clunkers. Off the top of my head, the only really bad Ren I've experienced is the Asheville Ren, which has gone downhill over the past couple years. The Plantation FL Ren is subpar, but it's not horrible. The TPA International Mall Ren is a nice hotel with lousy staff, unless that's improved in the past couple years. And I was not impressed with the McAllen TX hotel. But given that I've staying in so many Rens, and even most of the hotels listed were still good, just not great, that's not bad.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Saw this in a Marriott press release today:

"About Marriott International Luxury + Lifestyle Brands:

Marriott International’s luxury and lifestyle brand portfolio includes The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, EDITION Hotels, BVLGARI Hotels & Resorts, JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, AC Hotels and Moxy Hotels – totaling 550 properties worldwide. By the end of 2016, the portfolio is expected to grow to 650 hotels with new locations in Geneva, Switzerland; Paris, France; Los Cabos, Mexico; and Sanya, China. Marriott’s Luxury and Lifestyle portfolio also accounts for approximately 25 percent of Marriott’s system-wide development pipeline. Future plans call for more than 250 additional luxury and lifestyle hotel projects over the next several years."

Also saw this in two Renaissance press releases:

"Renaissance Hotels is a highly acclaimed hotel brand appealing to next generation lifestyle business travelers who seek to discover unexpected cultural experiences with every trip.... captures the spirit of Wanderlust, the brand’s new global design philosophy reflecting a contemporary transformation to appeal to the next gen business traveler.... Renaissance Hotels exclusive NAVIGATOR concierge program and its recognized entertainment program, known for bringing the very best of music, arts, culinary and more into each of the brand’s 160 hotels around the world."

"About Renaissance Hotels
Renaissance Hotels believes in defying business travel conventions for guests who crave unexpected experiences. Each of the brand’s 160 hotels, located in over 35 countries around the world, is unique and every stay offers unconventional programs that help business travelers discover rich, local experiences. We promise to feed the curiosity, fuel the imagination and excite the senses of our guests who see their business trip as an exciting opportunity for new, interesting, and sharable experiences. We understand their desire to make the most out of every moment and we offer signature events in our lobbies, bars and lounges designed to showcase emerging talent in music, the arts, mixology, gastronomy and more. Renaissance Navigators are neighborhood experts who are ready to assist guests in discovering true local flavors and activities. R.E.N. Meetings offers groups an experience beyond a traditional meeting, rooted in creative sensory meeting design and custom-curated local Navigator excursions and networking events. At Renaissance Hotels, we work to ensure that every trip is transformed into an eye-opening, unforgettable journey."
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Saw this in a Marriott press release today:

"About Marriott International Luxury + Lifestyle Brands:

Marriott International’s luxury and lifestyle brand portfolio includes The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, EDITION Hotels, BVLGARI Hotels & Resorts, JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, AC Hotels and Moxy Hotels – totaling 550 properties worldwide. By the end of 2016, the portfolio is expected to grow to 650 hotels with new locations in Geneva, Switzerland; Paris, France; Los Cabos, Mexico; and Sanya, China. Marriott’s Luxury and Lifestyle portfolio also accounts for approximately 25 percent of Marriott’s system-wide development pipeline. Future plans call for more than 250 additional luxury and lifestyle hotel projects over the next several years."

Also saw this in two Renaissance press releases:

"Renaissance Hotels is a highly acclaimed hotel brand appealing to next generation lifestyle business travelers who seek to discover unexpected cultural experiences with every trip.... captures the spirit of Wanderlust, the brand’s new global design philosophy reflecting a contemporary transformation to appeal to the next gen business traveler.... Renaissance Hotels exclusive NAVIGATOR concierge program and its recognized entertainment program, known for bringing the very best of music, arts, culinary and more into each of the brand’s 160 hotels around the world."

"About Renaissance Hotels
Renaissance Hotels believes in defying business travel conventions for guests who crave unexpected experiences. Each of the brand’s 160 hotels, located in over 35 countries around the world, is unique and every stay offers unconventional programs that help business travelers discover rich, local experiences. We promise to feed the curiosity, fuel the imagination and excite the senses of our guests who see their business trip as an exciting opportunity for new, interesting, and sharable experiences. We understand their desire to make the most out of every moment and we offer signature events in our lobbies, bars and lounges designed to showcase emerging talent in music, the arts, mixology, gastronomy and more. Renaissance Navigators are neighborhood experts who are ready to assist guests in discovering true local flavors and activities. R.E.N. Meetings offers groups an experience beyond a traditional meeting, rooted in creative sensory meeting design and custom-curated local Navigator excursions and networking events. At Renaissance Hotels, we work to ensure that every trip is transformed into an eye-opening, unforgettable journey."
Renaissance Hotels believes in defying business travel conventions for guests who crave unexpected experiences = Le Méridien exposes the curious and creative-minded traveller to the most unexpected and engaging experiences a destination has to offer [From LM's website]
Unique/discover rich local experiences = Destination Unlocked
Signature events in our lobbies = Le Méridien Sparkling/Le Méridien Hub
Discovering true local flavors = Unlock
Creative sensory = LM100 scent, Jerôme Sans/Nouvelle Vague soundtrack
Transformed = Transitional Portal

Yup, looks like Le Méridien to me.

khabah
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But seriously, do they deliver? Does the LAX renaissance offer unique cultural events?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
But seriously, do they deliver? Does the LAX renaissance offer unique cultural events?
Oh, Vicki, yes, yes, yes...

One can sit in the room watching planes land, which is, in itself, a cultural experience for many of us. Additionally, one can visit the cultural institution called Burger King across the street and interact with homeless people, which is another unique cultural even.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Oh, Vicki, yes, yes, yes...

One can sit in the room watching planes land, which is, in itself, a cultural experience for many of us. Additionally, one can visit the cultural institution called Burger King across the street and interact with homeless people, which is another unique cultural even.
In fairness there are Rens that offer cultural, but I think most airport properties of any brand/chain aren't going to hit the criteria.

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's too bad that the summary quoted above combines luxury and lifestyle Marriott brands. IMO they're very different market segments, although there can be some overlapping brands.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's too bad that the summary quoted above combines luxury and lifestyle Marriott brands. IMO they're very different market segments, although there can be some overlapping brands.
I agree w/ you. It's stoo-pid for Marriott to combine Luxury & Lifestyle, especially given the brands quoted.

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Well, they do have live local musicians playing at the lobby bar many nights, which isn't something I would expect to see at any "cookie-cutter" Marriott. The LAX Ren also has a pretty impressive art collection (which I got to explore and enjoy when I stayed an unexpected extra night due to a cancelled flight).
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I always think Ren's are comparable to Marriotts but more artsy and pretty equivalent to W's. I was a little surprised to see Arny compare them to JW's.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
It's interesting that even here on the Marriott Rewards forum at FlyerTalk, we have different perceptions of what the Renaissance brand represents.

Marriott International has struggled to find a niche for Renaissance. It's now positioned as an "upper-upscale" "lifestyle" brand. As Renaissance hotels are renovated, they take on characteristics that have served Starwood's W brand well.

When the merger is complete, Marriott will still face the issue of positioning Renaissance in relation to its newly acquired "upper-upscale" brands. Although there are also significant variations across the Westin, W, and Le Méridien hotels, the brands never-the-less seem to have stronger identities.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:49 am
Suspended

I disagree with OP. JW is much nicer and much much more exclusive than a Westin.Check all the popular destination in the world, JW is usually ranked very top in TA along with Ritz, Four seasons, Conrad. Westin is a more upscale sheraton, but most property is simillar modern and boring, yet a lot of JW is very stylelish and more sophiscated, check Bangkok, chicago, singapore, seoul, Vietnam, Phuket island, Macau, Hong Kong...Etc.

I would say Westin is a step or 2 step behind a Conrad or JW. Westin is a standard american hotel chain for business customers, while most JW and Conrad , internationally, is luxury, and having more inputs in the reosrt category. I definetly would not put westin with JW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.