Wiki Posts
Search

envoy hotel boston

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
envoy hotel boston

Looks like a new upscale Marriott property is opened in Boston. This hotel is located in the Seaport district, across the river from IC Boston.
hotel website:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/

It's cat 9 now.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
From the property website:

"A pioneer in a newly emerging city, The Envoy Hotel's bold interiors and easy style are set in contrast to the city’s New England traditions, yet right at home in its wunderkind neighborhood. Rooms and suites are oriented to the water, and have a quintessentially urban view, providing a uniquely efficient and comfortable roost with carefully considered custom details, bits of surprise and pops of color. Our on-site OUTLOOK Kitchen + Bar, opening Fall 2015, is under development. Six floors up, we dialed up the view, the scene, and the smooth interface—our LOOKOUT Rooftop + Bar is both stunning and chill, a beacon for the new frontier. Yes, there is a 24/7 state-of-the-industry fitness center that invites guests to work it off in good time. With jogging maps at the ready and bikes standing by, everyone can take to the streets and live like a true local."

Thanks for the heads up. I'll add the property to the exec lounge sticky. Look forward to first reports.

Cheers.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:20 am

Marriott did a press release today re: 3 of the new Autograph Collection properties. The Envoy - Boston was one of them mentioned in the press release:

"The Envoy in Boston, MA is a newly constructed propertylocated in the city’s Innovation District. The hotel’s 136 rooms are carefully designed with handcrafted, artisan-style décor and feature reclaimed wood throughout along with expansive, floor-to-ceiling windows framing unparalleled waterfront and city views. Tech-forward amenities include a collaborative work area featuring a classic billiards table reimagined into six interactive computer touch-screens. The Envoy’s communal atmosphere extends to its 4,000 square-foot Lookout Rooftop Bar,which boasts spectacular waterfront views and seasonal cocktails and local beers, including a house brew created especially for the property by Boston’s Harpoon Brewery. The hotel’s restaurant Outlook Kitchen offers progressive seasonal fare under the leadership of Excecutive Chef David Verdo, a Boston native with prior experience at French brasserie Miel and Asana."
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Its a great hotel, amazing roof deck with million dollar views of the city. Too bad it's getting colder here in the city.
Old May 30, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I stayed at the Envoy last week. My experience was a mixed bag.

Front Desk was very nice and helpful. They were courteous and provided good information when requested.

My room was very nice. I was upgraded to a city view, which was very nice. The view was exceptional. They did an exceptional job with the soundproofing. The room is very modern and in some aspects tragically hip. The bed was centered in the room. It left just enough space around the bed to be passable. Not good, not bad, just different. The desk was placed immediately behind the headboard. The tv was against the window mounted onto a bike frame. I didn't watch much TV, but I have to say it is likely the best tv service I've seen in a Marriott property. It used an interactive channel guide and provided access to allow you to use your streaming service account (e.g., Netflix).

The bathroom was nicely appointed, yet uniquely odd. I liked the shower well enough with both a waterfall and handheld sprayer. The toilet was in it's own stall with swinging door. That was just weird. It was half hipster toilet, half reminder of public restrooms. The hot water was a little slow to start every morning, but really not a big deal since once it started there was no issue. The oddest part of the bathroom was a printed glass partician and glass door that separates it from the room. Solo or couple travel would be fine. Family travel, it could get uncomfortable with the lack of privacy. Looks cool, but doesn't really serve its intended purpose.

The neighborhood is basically one huge construction zone. Everything you'll do will be on the downtown side of the hotel away from the construction. So.Boston is on it's way up but in need of another year or two to get past this latest construction boom.

Now the downside. Food and beverage service was lacking. I went up to the rooftop bar one night. It was a much younger, hipper crowd than expected. The view is exceptional, but my room had the same view, being just one floor below. Beverages were served in plastic cups. I'm not happy about paying $36 for two martinis served in plastic. The next night I met up with a friend in the downstairs bar. It took 10 minutes to get the bartenders to notice us and offer service, and that was only because we said something. Talking to servers at a restaurant in the area we learned the Envoy is establishing a reputation for poor quality food and beverage service. Prices in the main bar downstairs were comparable to the rooftop, $36 for two beverages - this time served in real glass.

The drawback to this place is the clientele they serve in the rooftop bar. They crowd the lobby and create huge lines waiting to take the elevator. On their way down from the bar, many of the younger guys are pretty much drunk and obnoxious. I mentioned it to the security guard one night and they were aware of it and working on the issue. The biggest problem is that the hotel guests have to share the elevator with these sorts. It's something they really have to work on if they're going to justify the rates the hotel otherwise merits. The situation was so uncomfortable, this issue alone may keep me from returning to the hotel.

That said, I received an e-mail from the hotel requesting I participate in a survey, where I was somewhat brutal in my assessment. Within 48 hours I received a response thanking me for my business and survey. In return the apologized for the reported issues and gave me 10,000 points. It seems clear they're aware of the problem with the rooftop clientele and will need to find a solution. I hope they find it because the Envoy has tremendous potential.

Other things:
T access - easy and convenient.
Tourism - within ten minutes walk to most of what you'd want, Fenway a bit further.
Biz Travel - Exceptional access to downtown, and Cambridge.
Airport - Silverline to Court House Station, then one block walk to the hotel.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:27 am

What was the brekkie situation? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. And thanks for the trip report.

Cheers.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
What was the brekkie situation? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. And thanks for the trip report.

Cheers.
They offer a choice of breakfast in the restaurant or 750 MR points/night.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
They offer a choice of breakfast in the restaurant or 750 MR points/night.
Cont'l brekkie or full brekkie?

Cheers.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Cont'l brekkie or full brekkie?

Cheers.
Sorry, I didn't ask and they didn't say.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Sorry, I didn't ask and they didn't say.
Ah you skipped breakfast and took the points instead?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Ah you skipped breakfast and took the points instead?
Always.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Always.
Really? 750 Marriott points is worth about $6. Surely, you could get more value out of the breakfast?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Breakfast at Envoy is essentially a $12 credit per person (up to 2 people) at the restaurant.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Correct, which is good for a muffin and a cup of coffee. What's funny is that the coupons say they are good for "the Envoy breakfast" or something like that--there is no such item on the menu. But the room service menu, which corresponds to the hotel's previous executive chef and is no longer up-to-date (but still in the rooms), DOES list "the Envoy breakfast" and it's eggs, sausage, bacon, toast, juice, and coffee. When I checked out I mentioned to the front desk both the outdated room service menus and the fact that the breakfast coupons no longer provide the value they used to, and got a polite shrug-off from the disinterested front desk associate.

The other thing I'll say is that the valet parking situation at this hotel can be horrible. One night when I returned from a long day at work the street leading to the hotel was in complete gridlock. After over an hour creeping forward every now and then (less than a block from the hotel), I finally got to where a helpful valet SHOULD have run up to take my keys and park my car. But instead it was just a double-parked nightmare of cars, with no valet in sight. I know it was a bad thing to do, but I triple parked (blocking the street, whose traffic wasn't moving anywhere anyway) and just went in to the front desk to give them the keys. THAT was the reason I haven't been back.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:29 pm

I'm confused. You wanted a valet to run into the street to park your car? How would he know you're a guest at the hotel? Am I mis-reading?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.