Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

How do I use my Chase card 1-5 cert?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Marriott

I looked up a hotel that is category 2 and plan to stay there. I tried multiple options..start a booking with cash, start a booking with points..but at no point had an option to add my free cert. How do I go about and add it? When I google it, the results appear for an old booking system, OR I follow the steps and like I said, never get the option to add my cert at the screens the sites say I should. I can confirm I've tried with a cat 1 and also cat 2 hotel in Raleigh.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:43 am

I just call MR's 800# or the hotel to book with a cert. I only use it once per year, so I never remember myself.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:56 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
The way I book online is:

On the find a hotel page I click use rewards points. put in your dates, city, number of rooms etc.

It will than bring up the page with all the hotels that are accepting point/cert stays for the night in question and the point cost. (Some hotels blackout reward stays on certain nights). Choose your hotel. On room selection choose the room your want (not all room types are point eligible...ie suites, whirlpools etc).

This brings up the reservation detail page. Look under #3 summary of charges and the ecertificate that will expire the soonest will be attached or you can choose to override and order a cert with points. So it should automatically attach to your reservation.

If you need more info I can post screen shots but working on a mobile device right now.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:28 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
As kklems mentions, the system should automatically attach your cert. But it can only do that if the cert you have is usable for the complete reservation you are making. IOW, you can't use a one-night cert when making a 2 or more night reservation. The cert can't cover the whole reservation and thus won't show as being available.

So I'm wondering if the reservation you are trying to make is more than one night? Also, check to make sure you aren't trying to book more than one room for the night.

Note that you can call in and the MR reservation agent can use your cert for a multi-night reservation, but the online tool doesn't know how to deal with that. If you still can't seem to use that cert, I'd suggest calling Marriott Rewards and get them to help you make the reservation. And if there really is a problem with the cert, they should be able to tell you exactly what the problem is.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by pritomd
I looked up a hotel that is category 2 and plan to stay there. I tried multiple options..start a booking with cash, start a booking with points..but at no point had an option to add my free cert. How do I go about and add it? When I google it, the results appear for an old booking system, OR I follow the steps and like I said, never get the option to add my cert at the screens the sites say I should. I can confirm I've tried with a cat 1 and also cat 2 hotel in Raleigh.
Here's some unsolicited advice you didn't ask for. Are there no other places you'll use the certificate before it expires? If there was a cat 2 that I was looking at I would definitely use points instead of a certificate, but to each their own.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
That is good advice however with annual category Creep and devaluation, a cat 5 in the U.S. Is usually good for a right off the interstate hotel, make sure you'll use in the future. Also a 6 month extension is usually granted with an email to Chase. Finally if you DONT want to use it when booking online, be careful as it will default to being used/ attached automatically at booking. Learned that the hard way although MR fixed it after the fact for me.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
I lucked into a great use for a cert a month ago - the cat. 5 Residence Inn at Pentagon City (Arlington VA, NOT Crystal City). We only needed one night, it's the closest hotel to my sister's house, and it's a nice property, apparently underappreciated by tourists despite being 1.5 blocks from Metro with a free shuttle to DCA. Very pleasant staff.

Granted, if you are using it to extend a leisure stay, it's not a cheap location, but it was perfect for our needs.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input!!

As hhoope01 mentions, I think the issue is I was trying to do a multi-night reservation. I didn't realize I could only use it online via a single night. When I try the same method with a 1 night reservation, I do finally see the option under '3 summary of charges'. If more than one night, didn't see it.

Guess I'll have to call in and try and get it combined for a multi-night stay. Thanks all!

Originally Posted by hhoope01
But it can only do that if the cert you have is usable for the complete reservation you are making. IOW, you can't use a one-night cert when making a 2 or more night reservation. The cert can't cover the whole reservation and thus won't show as being available.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
That is good advice however with annual category Creep and devaluation, a cat 5 in the U.S. Is usually good for a right off the interstate hotel, make sure you'll use in the future. Also a 6 month extension is usually granted with an email to Chase. Finally if you DONT want to use it when booking online, be careful as it will default to being used/ attached automatically at booking. Learned that the hard way although MR fixed it after the fact for me.
E-mail to Chase or to Marriott??
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by joeags
Marriott
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by joeags
Chase, if its the cert from the credit card. At least that is what worked for me in the past.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

As an FYI, the cert from this year (I've had the card since 2012) was already 1 year long, not 6 months. My cert last year did expire (don't have many opps to stay at cat 1-5 which is why I'm willing to burn it on a cat 2/3!!!)
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Got turned down when I asked them to extend the cert expiration date on the annual cert from my mom's card - per the CSR can't extend because she hasn't been using the card. Just FYI for those who don't put any regular spend on their card...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Ended up doing it the easy way and booking a single night so I could use my cert online Well, also because I wanted to pay to stay at the city center my second night there.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Got turned down when I asked them to extend the cert expiration date on the annual cert from my mom's card - per the CSR can't extend because she hasn't been using the card. Just FYI for those who don't put any regular spend on their card...
Same experience for me. Have been using the Ritz card all year and the Marriott has been unused. Chase was unbending even though I had lots of spend on the Ritz card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.