Wiki Posts
Search

Breakfast for 20 at a Courtyard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Breakfast for 20 at a Courtyard

Yes, it is a "new Courtyard" with the dreaded Bistro but I need to feed 20 people breakfast. I can do a catered breakfast buffet with pastries, fruit, juice and coffee for 22 dollars a person, which seems very steep. I haven't looked at a Bistro menu in awhile, but correct me if I am wrong, if I just tell everyone to order and charge it all to my room, even if every guest goes crazy with a foo-foo drink and a hot meal it's not going to run 22/person is it? Lastly, if a group of 20 hits the Bistro how long is it going to take everyone to actually get their food....
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:51 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
My recollection from suburban Courtyard Bistros (so of course the price may be higher in city center properties) has been that a hot item and and a (regular) coffee for 2 people will run around $22-25 total, so you'll probably end up ahead just having people order a la carte at the Bistro.

That being said, I expect that there will be quite a wait, unfortunately, as everything at the new Bistros takes significantly longer compared to the old breakfast buffets.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The old buffet would have been easy and I could have accurately predicted cost as well! But moving everyone offsite for breakfast would take even longer and pose more challenges than I suspect than waiting at the Bistro.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Are you having a meeting here, i.e. are you renting space? Call a local bagel / doughnut shop and have them deliver directly to you or pickup. Einstein Bagels, Panera, etc, all have packages. I would never trust a Courtyard to pull this off no matter what they say or require...
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Courtyard in question has a full catering operation, including plated dinners at 70 dollars a head, so I assume they can pull off muffins and coffee. I am not having a meeting really, just booking 5 rooms/20 people for the night before and they need to be fed before checking out. If we all headed out to the pool/patio area and I fed them brought in bagels would the hotel have a problem with that? Assuming we cleaned up after ourselves and all. I'm still leaning towards the bistro. Most of the people being fed are high school swimmers. Bagels and muffins may not cut it.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
If we all headed out to the pool/patio area and I fed them brought in bagels would the hotel have a problem with that? Assuming we cleaned up after ourselves and all.
Highly doubt it. Even if so, what are they going to do? We've brought in pizza and other food for youth hockey teams before at FS types and they've even helped out by given us a room to eat in. Some more ridiculous operations may insist no outside F&B but are probably rare to enforce.

Swimming team? Yeah, you may need more. Power bars for all as well?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive
If I'm not mistaken, you can order the "Breakfast Scramble" - two scrambled eggs, toast, sausage/bacon/ham, and potatoes (I get fruit instead, no upcharge) - for about $10-$11. Grab a bottle of orange juice for another $3, plus tax, you're looking around $16.00. You'll save money by ordering from the bistro instead of their catering service.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Get everyone's order ahead of time and just drop a list at the bistro 30 min before everyone heads down - maybe even give them a head's up the night before. Tell the kids they can order anything up to a max of $15 or whatever to give yourself a solid cost estimate ahead of time.

Too bad about no points on the incidental spend though....
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 9809JD
Get everyone's order ahead of time and just drop a list at the bistro 30 min before everyone heads down - maybe even give them a head's up the night before. Tell the kids they can order anything up to a max of $15 or whatever to give yourself a solid cost estimate ahead of time.

Too bad about no points on the incidental spend though....
You are a genius.

At least it will be on a Marriott card. ;-)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If they weren't athletes, I'd suggest just gathering in the largest room and bringing in nice donuts or croissants, juice, and making or ordering room service coffee.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Some properties could care less about outside catering and others care a lot. Not something you want to find out with a bunch of hungry athletes around. Call the property first and see what they say. It may well be that you have your people come in 4 groups of 5, 10 minutes apart and simply order of the menu. Alternatively, if the property doesn't mind, you can certainly get something hot + fruit and drinks for less than $10 at some local place in most venues, even expensive ones.

Last thought. If this is simply before people hit the road, does it matter if they leave a bit earlier and grab something enroute. That way, you give each person $10 and they buy their own nearby.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
At least it will be on a Marriott card. ;-)
$300 breakfast * 5x points = 1,500 MR points...not too shabby for breakfast
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's the Sunday morning after my kid's sixteenth birthday party. Not heading to a meet afterwards they just all happen to be swimmers cause that's her gang. And they EAT. A LOT.

There's even a 25 yard pool with 2 laps that are laned off with lane lines, so if in the near future on a Saturday afternoon in OC you see an impromptu girls' swim meet busting out at a Courtyard, say hi.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by 9809JD
Good idea.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:25 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I'd just look for a local IHOP or similar restaurant. (If there is a local breakfast buffet place that might be an even better option.) Give them a call and see if you could get an area reserved for your group and go there. You will probably get better service and food, plus you will probably get more bang for your $$$ than staying with the CY.

Both my son and daughter were on their HS swim teams and when they travelled for meets, coach would normally try to find a buffet for meals when possible (My daughter won't eat at a CiCi's Pizza any more as coach loved them and always seemed to be able to find one. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.