Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

HELP! Marriott Reward reservation made in somebody else's name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND

I woke up to a reservation in my inbox. It was for "abdul zahud" in the Birmingham, UK. 50k gone like that.
I called Marriott who said they would request the hotel cancel it. The customer service rep said she doubted it was fraud and wouldn't worry. I requested to change my rewards number she told me to call Marriott rewards not marriott customer service. I was told the reservation was made over the phone.
...?!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Update:
The Marriott property asked the guest (who already checked in) for a different form of payment. The gues insisted that I personally gifted him the reservation. A blatant lie. I never heard of this guy before. Now there's an investigation. They're allowing him to stay there on my points. Marriott, you suck!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Call the police and report Fraud.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP did this get resolved?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:35 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
Marriott Rewards can quite easily cancel the reward certificate if you call in and identify yourself properly. Then it'll be up to the guest to figure out how to pay for his stay.I'd call them now to do this. I'd also change your password asap, and demand (not request) that they change your MR # given the fraud. Good luck !
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Of course this is presuming it wasn't a mistake like as has been made several times before when the agent doesn't clear their screen between transactions. It may very well be the stay was gifted by someone else. If truly a gift, I'd bet the guest does not know the OPs name, but can identify the member that gifted the stay.

OP, did you recently call MR for any reason?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RamAir
I woke up to a reservation in my inbox. It was for "abdul zahud" in the Birmingham, UK. 50k gone like that.
I called Marriott who said they would request the hotel cancel it. The customer service rep said she doubted it was fraud and wouldn't worry. I requested to change my rewards number she told me to call Marriott rewards not marriott customer service. I was told the reservation was made over the phone.
...?!
If you didn't gift it to the guy, then demand that Marriott put the points back into your account. Also, have Marriott add a PIN # to your account so that you (and anyone else) has to provide the PIN to the Marriott agent on the phone. They won't be able to access the account on the phone without the PIN. And of course change your password. I added the PIN # to my account several years ago when folk were reporting others booking awards with their points.

Also, even on award stays, the hotels normally ask for a credit card for incidentals. If the property has that, they can charge Abdul for the stay.

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:25 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
...Also, have Marriott add a PIN # to your account so that you (and anyone else) has to provide the PIN to the Marriott agent on the phone.

Also, even on award stays, the hotels normally ask for a credit card for incidentals. If the property has that, they can charge Abdul for the stay.
Definitely agree with the PIN#. I did the same thing a few years back and every time I have called to make any change or order any award, the first thing they do is ask me for that PIN#.

I've had a few hotels where I was able to just tell them to keep the charges on the CC on file. And they never swiped another CC. So it may be possible that the OP may actually not only have a problem with points, but any incidentals incurred could possibly show up on their CC.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Update again
They refunded my points. Marriott rewards was very apprehensive to change my rewards number. The person clearly has access to my information and account. The reservation was made over the phone. I called and refunded it. He then called and made another one and checked in immediately after booking.
Marriott has been very unresponsive to my fraud concerns. I've been in contact with MR and the hotel in the UK. Unfortunately, neither share my urgency to get this resolved to the authorities or to protect my forms of payment associated with the account, personal information or Marriott rewards points.
I am deeply disappointed in their negelgence during this matter. Many promised return calls were not provided. Marriott dropped the ball here. Who do I write?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Marriott strikes again!
They did not freeze the account as promised. Now he has successfully locked me out of my account. The thief has changed the email address and password of my account.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Have you filed a police report yet?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethb
I live in America and the hotel and thief is in the UK.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The local police at the hotel's location might still be interested.

And Marriott is located in the US.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Nice idea, but realistically I don't believe that a local police department on Long Island, would believe that an investigation of an incident of this nature would fall within their jurisdiction.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They won't investigate, but they'll take a report and forward it to the appropriate department elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.