Wiki Posts
Search

RI or Execustay?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Gold Preferred, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Gold
RI or Execustay?

So the wife and I just signed a contract to build a new house yesterday. Just trying to plan ahead in case our current place sells quicker than we anticipate. Does anyone have any experience in trying to negotiate a long term stay at a Residence Inn (30+ days)? Are Execustay's pretty competitive? Just for reference we would be looking at staying in a place in the Phoenix area (Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe). Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
I've only stayed at an Execustay twice. Once was in Tokyo (Ginza) for 68 days and the other in Delray Beach, FL for 74 days. While my experience may not be the same as one in the Phoenix area, here's a few notes:

• Execustays are furnished apartments. Both of mine were in an actual apartment complex (which I presume most are). I was staying where local residents lived full-time. So, without mention, all the pros and cons of apartment living apply. For example, on two separate occasions, the water was turned off to the building for repairs. You won't be reimbursed or receive any type of benefits for this.
  • You may be held to property rules, which can widely vary. At the Delray Beach complex, I had to adhere to the rule of all guests must be registered with the property manager a minimum of 1 business day prior to their arrival.
  • You are responsible for the upkeep, cleanliness and general "housekeeping" duties during your stay.
  • Rental fees, surcharges, etc. can quickly add up. My stay would've been several thousands cheaper in local hotels, but wouldn't of had the same amenities.
  • If MR points and nights are important to you, don't plan on earning much with Execustay. It's 2.5 points for every dollar and 1 elite night is based upon every 3 nights stayed.

Long story short, I rarely recommend the Execustays. If I was in your situation, I'd rather stay at a RI, have housekeeping take care of the chores and enjoy some manager dinners/cocktail hours during the week.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:00 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UnderEst
If MR points and nights are important to you, don't plan on earning much with Execustay. It's 2.5 points for every dollar and 1 elite night is based upon every 3 nights stayed.
Don't forget that while RIs may get 5 pts/$, they are still half as much as other non-extended stay brands.

So if points are really important, then you might want to look at something like a SHS where you can get 10 pts/$ and still have a bit of room (just not a full kitchen.)
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Don't forget that while RIs may get 5 pts/$, they are still half as much as other non-extended stay brands.

So if points are really important, then you might want to look at something like a SHS where you can get 10 pts/$ and still have a bit of room (just not a full kitchen.)
Yes, I should've mentioned that, but as a whole, you'll earn a lot less at an Execustay vs. RI or TPS.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Gold Preferred, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Gold
Definitely understand that the potential for points or night earnings is going to be a lot less at an Execustay vs an RI or TPS. The issue more becomes is it going to be more economical to do an Execustay? Have people found that their rates are fairly competitive?

Any comments on whether an RI will cut you a deal for staying for 30+ days?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

When I moved to ATL back in 2011, I had to spend 3 months in temporary housing. I compared the options of corporate housing vs a RI.

Yes, it's only 5 pts per $1, but for less money than a corporate rate, I was able to get a 2 bedroom suite with fireplace. The RI had a standard 30+ night rate, and when I called them, I was able to get a few extra dollars off. In addition, after 30 days, I stopped paying sales tax on the rate.

So, in my case, it was cheaper than Execustay or other corporate housing and it came with daily housekeeping. Plus, I accumulated 90 nights towards LTP (plus rollover).

And for rate deals, check what they already advertise, and then give them a call, or if you have multiple RIs in the area, try to call a number of them to compare.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by RMPearl
Definitely understand that the potential for points or night earnings is going to be a lot less at an Execustay vs an RI or TPS. The issue more becomes is it going to be more economical to do an Execustay? Have people found that their rates are fairly competitive?

Any comments on whether an RI will cut you a deal for staying for 30+ days?

Thanks for the help.
If you mean economical as in $$$, it's very possible that a RI would come in as less expensive than an Execustay. If there is a RI you had in mind, give them a call and speak with the sales or general manager. When I'm doing a long term stay, especially if I have several employees with me, I'm generally able to negotiate a slightly better rate than I'm able to find online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.