Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plat. buyback when can I?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres

Missed Plat buy a handful. Need to buy Plat using pts. When does it start? Meaning, I have the pts- when Can I do the buyback?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Not sure but I would wait and see if they gave you Platinum anyway... Marriott does that sometimes. I called a few weeks ago as I had a message on the screen stating I had been renewed at Platinum for 2015 but the message was gone the next day. The rep told me that I was in fact renewed as a Platinum next year (in 2015) even though I have less than 60 nights in 2014.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Hope you will be lucky to get softlanding as platinum , otherwise Marriott usually sends out email and message/link in your profile with valid till last day of your current status expiry date ( Feb-2015).

Cheers
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres

It says I am Platinum with no rollover nights. Is that a good sign?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by twoner32
It says I am Platinum with no rollover nights. Is that a good sign?
Don't think anything is updated yet, so I don't think it is a sign either way.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Rollover nights aren't a sign, as rollover nights are based on 2014 status. You were/are plat so the only rollover would be above 75.

My bad; as shown below, the following is bad information: You might want to be careful with the Plat buyback. It's my understanding that not only are the points deducted, they're also deducted from your lifetime totals.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Jan 9, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Member, Starwood, Hilton Honors
There doesn't appear to be a set date when you will be notified about the Plat buyback.

You will receive a letter in the mail or via email about purchasing your Plat status. Last year, it was 40,000 for me.

However, they might allow you to keep your Plat status as a courtesy. I've had that to happen a couple of times.

Last edited by Marcell; Jan 4, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
You might want to be careful with the Plat buyback. It's my understanding that not only are the points deducted, they're also deducted from your lifetime totals.
Not true.

To the OP - they might keep you at your current Plat status or they might offer you buyback, but if it's the latter you'll get an email from them.

Cheers.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: GGL CCR
thx for info thread

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Not true.

To the OP - they might keep you at your current Plat status or they might offer you buyback, but if it's the latter you'll get an email from them.

Cheers.
thx for the information on this thread - was lucky enough not to travel enough to renew platinum but did do 62 nights in marriotts - hope i get a soft or buyback email.

gene
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott, SWA, Alaska Air
I missed platinum by 2 nights last year. I called and asked to be upgraded and they did it for me on the spot, no points required. Might be worth a shot...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.