Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Nagoya, Japan Marriot blacked out for points reservation April-May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Marriott

Is this normal? I've never had problems booking rooms at Marriott properties on points. Do they open them up closer to the booking date?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
This is a hotel specific issue and only they would know. If you're talking about the Associa Marriott above Nagoya Station, the GM there is very nice. I'd call the hotel and ask if they can open up inventory for you.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Did they tell you they were "blacked out" or so they just not have award inventory available - rooms have been available for 6+ months. Unlike SPG, Marriott says they have no blackouts but do not have an "if a room is available, an award room is available" policy. Award inventory can be restricted and sold out well in advance during high demand periods.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
While I have a reservation at this hotel using my Platinum override, I notice that this hotel has no availability starting April 1 2016 through October. I used another browser where I was not signed in as Platinum.

I suspect a huge screw up on their part, or more likely that they may be leaving Marriott.

I think I'll make a back up booking should that be the case.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:53 am
Suspended

without exception there are rates listed every single day in all months stated thru 21 Oct in which you state no availability.

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
While I have a reservation at this hotel using my Platinum override, I notice that this hotel has no availability starting April 1 2016 through October. I used another browser where I was not signed in as Platinum.

I suspect a huge screw up on their part, or more likely that they may be leaving Marriott.

I think I'll make a back up booking should that be the case.

Last edited by leeky; Nov 3, 2015 at 6:03 am
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by leeky
without exception there are rates listed every single day in all months stated thru 21 Oct in which you state no availability.
There sure are, when you're user id is remembered on Marriott.com (even if you are not signed in) the Plat override will show availability. Click on Not leeky? or Clear Remembered User and try again.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:33 am
Suspended

having rates, whether with or without plat override negates your speculation that this property is leaving the Marriott family.

personally, I preferred the Nagoya Westin (if its still around) as the huge windows overlooking the castle at night really produced a ngreat view and I pick where I stay by location whether it be a Marriott or other.

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
There sure are, when you're user id is remembered on Marriott.com (even if you are not signed in) the Plat override will show availability. Click on Not leeky? or Clear Remembered User and try again.

Last edited by leeky; Nov 3, 2015 at 6:40 am
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by leeky
having rates, whether with or without plat override negates your speculation that this property is leaving the Marriott family.
Perhaps you are correct, and I hope you are, but my speculation had two theories neither of which is negated by the anecdotal evidence IMO.

You did notice that I didn't cancel my booking and I said:
The reason I feel the latter is more likely is that they have had 7 months to discover their screw up, and I am sure those watching future revenue would be alerted by no bookings.
Other than those two possibilities, why would they have no non-Plat override availability for 7 months starting April 1?

BTW, I made my original Plat override reservation on July 6 and have been checking daily and no non-Plat override rates past March 31 have been available at any point during that 4 month period, so this is not a passing glitch IMO.

FWIW, I made a back up reservation at the new Osaka Courtyard so no worries.

Now there are also other extreme possibilities that could explain the lack of non-Plat bookings for 7 months starting April 1 2016:

1) The entire hotel has been booked every day for conferences/events for the 7 months starting April 1 2016.

2) The hotel has purposely held back bookings for pending conference/event contracts. JW Orlando sued to do this, but would still have their inventory loaded at about 42 weeks out instead of 52 weeks. But when JW Orlando did this, no Plat override was available.

3) Marriott booking engine is messed up with regard to this hotel's inventory and/or erroneously showing Plat override rates. If the latter, then perhaps because it is leaving Marriott, or other disruptive event like major renovations.

As I wrote the above I called Marriott Plat line and they put me on hold while their lead desk checked into it. The result was that they came back and said:

4) the hotel was holding back inventory due to tax regulations. (I didn't think of this option which must be a new tax regulation unique to Nagoya that is taking affect on April 1, 2016 because they have previously always had inventory available 50 weeks out)

It was about 11:15 PM in Nagoya, their lead desk called the hotel and probably spoke with night auditor (11:15 PM in Nagoya). The reservation agent said the lead desk was unable to find out when inventory would be released and suggested I talk with Platinum Guest services who can contact the hotel and get a response back form management during business hours.

So she transferred me Platinum Guest services, to whom I explained the problem and they also saw it on their screen.

They in turn transferred me to Marriott Customer Care where I again explained the situation and was put on hold while they also called the hotel. When they returned, they instructed me to call back this evening when it's Nov 4 in Nagoya, which is good, because today (Nov 3) is a public holiday there.

I'll call them back this evening and post an update.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:07 pm

Well I just called customer care who were very nice, but from a substantive perspective it produced zilch. She talked with the hotel's in house reservations and they didn't know why there was no inventory April 1 on. She did say that she was going to email their supervisor who is supposed to then get back to me directly via email. We'll see.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:55 am

Well after all my pontificating, I am pleasantly surprised that they have opened inventory for April and May.

The response I just received from the Senior Manager of Reservations:
Thank you for your continuous patronage of our Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel.

Now we have opened our room inventory from Apr 2016.

Thank you very much for waiting for a while and now you get able to make your reservation. If you still have any question, please feel free to contact us again.

We are always looking forward to your next stay with us from the bottom of our hearts.

Thank you again for taking time to share your comments with us.
No need to change my reservation as the Plat override rates I had booked are identical to the rates that are now available to the GP. But at least I am a bit more at ease now that they have released April and May inventory.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:34 am

<deleted bad info>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.