Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott fined for wifi blocking at Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott fined for wifi blocking at Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:18 pm

This is despicable behaviour! I have no confidence or trust in Marriott.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Put the Tip Envelope out.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I'm no techie but Wi-Fi access to the internet and cellular access to internet & phone networks are totally different, right? Different frequencies of the spectrum?

What Marriott and other convention like hotels are pissed at is people getting decent celluar internet signals and Wi-Fi-ing those out with a Verzion Mi-Fi device I have but rarely use. Many people can hookup to those for the cost of one cell connection. Mine has to be encrypted and password protected.

Substantial loss of revenue I suppose to Marriott.

Many years ago before Wi-Fi at a REN, I had my room's wired internet disabled completely on me one day. I had a wireless travel router that would take the hotels Ethernet signal and send it to my laptop, I left it on all day while at work. Apparently, they did not like this...
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Rexkramer
CNN has the following on its website. I hope it is from the hotel rather than Marriott because it only makes a bad situation worse...

Marriott issued the following statement Friday afternoon defending its actions:

"Marriott has a strong interest in ensuring that when our guests use our Wi-Fi service, they will be protected from rogue wireless hot spots that can cause degraded service, insidious cyber-attacks and identity theft," the statement said. "Like many other institutions and companies in a wide variety of industries, including hospitals and universities, the Gaylord Opryland protected its Wi-Fi network by using FCC-authorized equipment provided by well-known, reputable manufacturers.

"We believe that the Opryland's actions were lawful. We will continue to encourage the FCC to pursue a rulemaking in order to eliminate the ongoing confusion resulting from today's action and to assess the merits of its underlying policy."
It's on the Marriott News section of the website.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Rexkramer
CNN has the following on its website. I hope it is from the hotel rather than Marriott because it only makes a bad situation worse...

Marriott issued the following statement Friday afternoon defending its actions:

"Marriott has a strong interest in ensuring that when our guests use our Wi-Fi service, they will be protected from rogue wireless hot spots that can cause degraded service, insidious cyber-attacks and identity theft," the statement said. "Like many other institutions and companies in a wide variety of industries, including hospitals and universities, the Gaylord Opryland protected its Wi-Fi network by using FCC-authorized equipment provided by well-known, reputable manufacturers.

"We believe that the Opryland's actions were lawful. We will continue to encourage the FCC to pursue a rulemaking in order to eliminate the ongoing confusion resulting from today's action and to assess the merits of its underlying policy."
Based on the wording, this is Marriott's position, not the property's position. If Marriott is defending them, then it's the same as if it were company-wide policy. I'm more interested in protecting my wallet from Marriott than them protecting me from "rogue wireless spots".

Doesn't Marriott make enough money from consistently high room rates?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by astroflyer
There's a lot of scary sounding text on FCC rules associated with things as innocuous as two-way radios. You're even supposed to have a license to operate them, although last time I checked the FCC didn't have too many special agents deployed on my favorite national park hikes
High-range GMRS two-way radios aren't exactly "innocuous" due to the bandwidth they occupy and hence the requirement for a license.

That's precisely why FRS was approved so hikers and others could use a decent ranged two-way radio without the requirements for a license.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by robsaw
A civil case to reclaim any ill-gotten gains would probably be easier and more effective deterent.
It's worked so well for Goldman and Chase, after all.

Fines are a cost of doing business - they're passed on to innocent shareholders without consequences for the actual perpetrators. They are absolutely no disincentive to wrongdoing for a corporate entity. Until you penalize <i>individuals</i>, you'll get no changes in behavior.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:02 pm

"protected from rogue wireless hot spots "? Surely they're kidding? Do they realize that they use PUBLIC airwaves for their wifi, and have no right to block anyone else?

I bet this is a company wide thing at other properties. Time for me to boycott Marriott. This is inexcusable.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, suffering Marriott Titanium
"Marriott has a strong interest in ensuring that when our guests use our Wi-Fi service, they will be protected from rogue wireless hot spots that can cause degraded service, insidious cyber-attacks and identity theft,"

Right, so you're going to block the use of my own wifi hotspot to "protect" me? Bite me, Marriott -- it is boneheaded management decisions like this one which keeps me away from your hotels.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
I used to really respect Marriott, but in the past few years they have seemed to engage in a number of increasingly questionable practices, this being the latest.

Management seems to be increasingly oblivious to customer service and loyalty, now seeming to go down the same customer-unfriendly road that many of the airlines have taken.

After years of nearly exclusive use of Marriott hotels I've branched out and commonly use other chains. My respect for Marriott has essentially disappeared.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:12 pm

Wow! Kind of busy today but sure would like to know more technical information that current article. Like exactly what equipment they were using.

On a similar front Harris Corp lied in their FCC application documents for what I call "Man in the middle" Stingray Device for law enforcement. This is another RF area.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Re: #2. I quasi did a few posts above when I said it probably had more to do w/ the hotel management than a corporate directive by Marriott.

Cheers.
Your statement was speculation. Likely best not to speculate on a possible criminal situation for the business involved.

It is illegal to jam airwaves. Does WiFi count as airwaves? This sounds very serious.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:27 pm

Yes it is illegal to jam airwaves. It is done all the time including for military or law enforcement operations. You all would go off the hook if you knew what gov and law enforcement agencies have in their arsenal. Most Wifi operates 2.4 and 5ghz approximately. It depends on what equipment they used.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by zerolife
$250 - $1000 per device for wifi access? I can't believe no one reported earlier
You'd be shocked at what hotels try, and are often able to, charge for some things for large groups that are a huge markup. For instance, at work a large training event recently came out of one of my budgets, and the Starwood property we were negotiating with, and ultimately used, wanted $20 per day per power strip. Yes, for a power strip you can get for maybe $10 retail and own at the end of the day. We needed about 50/day for weeks ... you can do that math. We negotiated it down to cents per day.

We also negotiated an over 90% discount on their WiFi from their original offer (we needed a separate network just for our 100+ users for the duration of the event) and they still no doubt did just fine on the margins.

The prices quoted by the Gaylord don't surprise me in the least. Blocking signals is a whole different matter.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by jallred6
"Marriott has a strong interest in ensuring that when our guests use our Wi-Fi service, they will be protected from rogue wireless hot spots that can cause degraded service, insidious cyber-attacks and identity theft,"

Right, so you're going to block the use of my own wifi hotspot to "protect" me? Bite me, Marriott -- it is boneheaded management decisions like this one which keeps me away from your hotels.
I would feel much better about the idea of Marriott 'protecting' us if they provided free Wi-Fi service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.