Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Award stay in Italy - charging taxes - changed the taxes - should I argue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award stay in Italy - charging taxes - changed the taxes - should I argue?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
That's robbing, I don't think I'll go to Rome.
Do send an email and let the hotel and/or the Tourism authority know. It is an unreasonable tax and is hurting the economy of Rome.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by trekker954
Considering the price of a night stay at the Boscolo. OMG, if I were paying cash, when I booked it would have been over $6,000 for both rooms for 5 nights. I'm glad I saved my points as it is places like this, one uses their points.

I'm blessed to be able to travel the way I do, I never forget that.
Agree with both.

Cheers.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Do send an email and let the hotel and/or the Tourism authority know. It is an unreasonable tax and is hurting the economy of Rome.
This is an issue with any tourist related fees... They are usually enacted on a group of people that do not have any say in the officials that get appointed and even when voted into office, it's by people that most likely won't be paying the fees. Similar to letting renters vote on property taxes and the such. The ultimate in taxation without representation.

If you are going to vote with your feet/wallet, do let the local officials and journalists know. If you don't they won't know it was their actions causing the drop.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Car Exec Elite
I stayed at the Marriott Milan last Feb on points, and only paid the taxes quoted on the original booking.

I've got a paid stay at the Marriott Milan coming up in December, I'll keep my eyes open for this.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troydwhite
I stayed at the Marriott Milan last Feb on points, and only paid the taxes quoted on the original booking.

I've got a paid stay at the Marriott Milan coming up in December, I'll keep my eyes open for this.
The Taxes being discussed in this thread are local taxes for Rome so you should be OK in Milano for the moment.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by troydwhite

So they still charged taxes on an award booking in Milan?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by beckoa
So they still charged taxes on an award booking in Milan?
These aren't the usual sales taxes set as a percentage of the room rate but rather, some local tourist occupancy charge fee that's assessed as per person or per room per night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.