Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Award stay in Italy - charging taxes - changed the taxes - should I argue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I think you are stuck. Rome just doubled their city taxes. They are charged per person per day and are a function of what level they consider the hotel to be.

From a Sept 1 2014 article in the UK Telegraph:

The increase – approved by Italian authorities just five weeks ago – means those staying in a five-star hotel must pay €7 per person per night (£5.53) on top of their room rate, up from €3 (£2.37).

For those staying in a four-star hotel the figure is now €6 (up from €3); those in three-star accommodation will now be charged €4 (up from €2); travellers in one- and two-star hotels must now pay €3 (up from €2).

The tax, or "tassa di soggiorno" – collected at the end of a hotel stay - was introduced in 2011 to help pay for repairs and maintenance to the city. Visitors to youth hostels are exempt from the charge; those camping within the city’s boundaries are charged the lowest rate, while those in b&b accommodation pay €3.50.
Yes, you are right on. The last email from the GM, explained that in July 2014, Rome changed its rate from 3 euro per room to 7Euro per person, per night (that's quite a jump though) and that while I booked these rooms in January, his hands are tied. Oh well. Still a good deal, with the 5th night free award. Hopefully I'll get the free breakfast for both rooms. I know sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you have a regular hotel reservation and the city/state sales tax increases before you arrive, wouldn't you expect to pay the higher tax rate?
Not really, can't recall that ever happened in all my travels. I expect to pay what is on my confirmation email.

Even Marriott U.S. was unaware of this and basically said it wasn't fair.

But I won't let it ruin my vaca at all. I've saved and saved (or as my colleague say, I've hoarded) my points for years just to do something special like this with them. Also flying the clan over as well with miles.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Will I earn points on my 140. Euro I pay?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by trekker954
Will I earn points on my 140. Euro I pay?
If you use a Marriott Visa. Otherwise probably not since it seems to be a fee/tax.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. You do not earn points on taxes.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by jtp1947
In April, 2011 my wife and I were charged 6 Euro a day @ the Grand Flora for a three night award stay.
April this year, ditto.

A little surprised when I got it, but 6 euro for a two room suite? I tipped more than that.

You can't really argue with taxes like this in Europe. I'd let it go.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
It's not only Italy that has something like that, Nice has it too. In Germany some cities like to charge a 'kurtaxe' (spa tax) - another way to rip you off and since it's not a percentage, hotels won't cover it as it's a 'fee' imposed by the government (I guess they don't see VAT is also a kind of fee).

Bremen CY was so dodgy that they tried to sneak city tax into my bill even though I'm not using corp rate for my stay. They kept saying that it's for the city bla bla bla (BS) telling me that it's not in their pocket - even though my rate is actually have all taxes included (also the city tax - try make a dummy booking and you can see that you only pay the city tax when you are on corp rate). I'll be there this weekend and see if they try to sneak in the tax.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:27 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club

Points stays include taxes, but the usual hotel taxes are all linked to the rate paid as a %, in the UK it's 20%. Since the redeeming guest doesn't pay for the room the taxes are 20% of nil. Hence the redeeming guest has no taxes to pay.

The, for want of a better phrase, "butt-in-bed-tax" seen here in Rome, but also to be seen in several other European cities, most notably Paris, is a flat tax payable by each hotel guest staying in a hotel situated within the city borders and is payable each night stayed. The tax is collected by the hotel and passed onto the city authorities.

It could be argued that the Marriott wording on redemptions seems to include this type of tax, since all taxes are claimed to be included, but I think if someone did make a really big thing of it Marriott would simply change the wording
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:29 am

I did earn regular Marriott points on an award stay in Venice for the city tax. I only stayed one night and 12.5 points per dollar for 10 Euro isn't a lot of points, but it might make a difference for you

Ymmv
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Alice from Marriott was still working on getting me an answer even though I heard directly from the hotel. But she did find something in the fine print. I feel badly now that I made them work so hard to explain (although I still feel I should pay what I was quoted).

Hotel redemption in Terms and Conditions
12.Redemption at destinations outside the United States is subject to all required government approvals, restrictions, applicable taxes and/or service charges. Rewards do not include U.S. federal inspection fees or any other fees, expenses, surcharges, taxes or other costs or expenses that may be imposed by foreign governments for international travel.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a new tax grab.

Do write to the Tourism authority of Italy or better the hotelier association of Rome "Associazione Italiana Confindustria Alberghi" and let them know you have shortened your stay in Rome as a result of this unfair tax.

It is unreasonable to ask tourists to pay this outrageous fee. Protest it. And be sure to spend less in Rome if you can.

Last edited by TRAVELSIG; Sep 18, 2014 at 8:00 am
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by trekker954
I expect to pay what is on my confirmation email.
OP, notice that in your confirmation email it says estimated government fees & fees, exactly for this reason!!

From my experience, I always had to pay city tax in Rome, usually demanded in cash!

Don't let this ruin your trip!! Rome is a very beautiful city, hope you have a great time!!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I paid 7euro/BED TYPE/night.

2 adults, king bed - staff charged 7euro/night. Twin bed, 2 kids, charged 14 euro/night.

Check in lady said "you only had 3 total people...wink" ^

Grand Flora
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40

2 adults, king bed - staff charged 7euro/night. Twin bed, 2 kids, charged 14 euro/night.

Grand Flora
They charge for kids too Wow, for a week stay for a couple would be a 100 EUR extra

That's robbing, I don't think I'll go to Rome.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40

Grand Flora
3 people would have been 21 Euros. The new Rome rate is 7 euros per person per night.

Basically I am paying 140 euros tax for the four of us. I can swallow the per room; but the per person is a bit much. My kids are adults, but that is pretty hard to take, charging for little ones too in the same room.

Raising the tax - okay, so go from 3 euro to 4 or 5. But to go from 3 euro per room, to 7 euro per person is crazy. Considering the price of a night stay at the Boscolo. OMG, if I were paying cash, when I booked it would have been over $6,000 for both rooms for 5 nights. I'm glad I saved my points as it is places like this, one uses their points.

I'm blessed to be able to travel the way I do, I never forget that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.