Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR Premier Visa Annual Fee Hike

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
MR Premier Visa Annual Fee Hike

Just got the notice in the mail--Chase is hiking the annual fee on my Marriott Rewards Visa from $65/year to $85. No word on any actual improvements to the value of the card or free night cert, so presuming none.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:57 pm

Mine has been $85 since 2011. You must have been grandfathered in.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Chase is doing A LOT of changes on the credit card program side.

They have made significant Sapphire+ changes, announced Freedom changes and this would be along those lines.

As you have read, 'the rest of us' have been on the higher fee for quite some time.

I really thing Manufactured Spending is becoming a problem because of the high volume numbers, but they don't seem to know how to fix it for a few without affecting the whole. Even if they get the money from the discount fee on the charge, it likely looks like a lot of money being spent for rewards/benefits.

Rasheed
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I got the letter in the mail, too -- I guess I was grandfathered as well. Really hard for me to justify the $85 fee. Yes, in the right circumstance, a room is worth more than $85, but I don't find myself in that circumstance very often (where I need just one night, and where the Marriott is a better choice than other places to stay). If it were Cat. 6 free night (more interesting group of hotels), I'd probably pay the fee; at Cat. 5, I think I'll cancel.

If I do cancel the card, will I get to keep the free night?

And when can I reapply and get the sign-up bonus again. Of course, I recall reading that there's a "better" Ritz Carlson card deal, so I guess I'll switch to that first.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
This is my 3rd yr of having the card and If I am not mistaken, I have always pad $85, except for the first yr of course. hmmmm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I have been at $85 for the past 2 years. This was the third year I paid $85. However, I have been getting an additional Cat 1-4 Cert when I call to complain and talk about cancellation. Last year I found decent usage for the Cat 4/5 Certs but this year will be a challenge. There just arent any decent places to use these.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:10 pm

$120 per year for the Canadian version, where few Canadian Marriotts are Category 5... hmm..
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Got the same letter too, with an effective date of November. My renewal date is September, so methinks I'll still get the $65 rate this year. What happens next year...I dunno. I'll be losing my gold status unless they extend it without my qualifying (I'll be about 8-10 nights short), and bankrupted my account for our trip to Paris in May. So let's see; lesser status, not enough points to redeem anywhere, difficult to use credit card "free night" certificate, increased fees - then it'll be time for another deval. <rolls eyes>
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by crimsona
$120 per year for the Canadian version, where few Canadian Marriotts are Category 5... hmm..
I just used mine at the CY Downtown Montreal, which is Cat 5 and a fantastic property. The room rate was over $200 night, so even at an $85 renewal, it would still be worth it.

I also stayed at the Altoona CY in the same week on a personal stay. It's >$150 a night now, and I go there at least once or twice a year, so it will still be worth getting the cert.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I just got the letter as well, so I guess I was grandfathered in at the old rate ($65 I think?). Increase is as of 10/5/2014 and my last annual fee posted on 10/1/2013 so it'll be interesting to see what it posts at this year.

So far I've gotten value from the card exceeding the annual fee every year and I probably won't cancel it just yet, but the higher fee, reduced value of the cert, and reduced value of the points (with respect to higher categories for most hotels) are certainly shifting the line.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Hope there'll be no change in the Cad rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.