Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bill Marriott: Where Hotels are Going

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bill Marriott: Where Hotels are Going

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by dll
I often don't work at a desk as I've discovered over the years, almost invariably, the desk is situated in the direct blow path of the air vent (often facing it at a 90-degree angle). Thus you are faced with the unsavory choice between freezing to death while you work or disabling and working in a stuffy room. Have others found the same to be true?
While some desks may not be positioned optimally, I always prefer working at the desk when doing any actual work. If watching a movie or checking Facebook (or FT ), bed is fine. Work requires a desk for me, and I aint old!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:43 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Marriott survey on room layouts

Just last week, I received and completed a long survey on the issues mentioned in this thread. This was regarding a JW M sty in early June (in IND). Questions dealt with desk preferences (large, small, lap-size trays for work), and how often you would use each. Also, closet size, drawer usage, bathroom space, etc. And for each item, they provided 4-6 pictures of different options for each.
Asked how usage differs between business and vacation stays. Took about 20 min to complete. Did receive something for doing this -- a request for me to fill out future surveys!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I've been looking for desks for the past few years. I always spend a lot of time on my laptop, often working from the hotel room and I need to make conference calls.

Bill! Bring back the desks and make sure there's a telephone on the desk, or the table if the desk is missing!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
make sure there's a telephone on the desk, or the table if the desk is missing!
With a speakerphone.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
With a speakerphone.
Yes! I visit my son 4 or 5 times a year and always have to work from hotel on conference calls. So I bought a speakerphone and keep it at his house to pick up as soon as I arrive.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
Yes! I visit my son 4 or 5 times a year and always have to work from hotel on conference calls. So I bought a speakerphone and keep it at his house to pick up as soon as I arrive.
My smartphone's had a speakerphone for years. @:-)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
My smartphone's had a speakerphone for years.
You kinda missed the point.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
My smartphone's had a speakerphone for years. @:-)
And does your smart phone have the comfort, fidelity, call quality, and enough minutes in your plan to talk for hours and hours and hours while allowing you to be a virtuoso on your laptop keyboard?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
No desk? Dumbest thing Marriott could ever do. A desk is required since I may do work with mouse all night, all day, whatever time. Well Marriott would probably lose me as LP if that is the case. But I am only one.

He should focus on climate control consistency , water pressure, HD TV channels, wifi speed and thin walls.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Don't take away my desk.

It doesn't have to be a huge desk, but I need a spot.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Millennial here...I hang my sportcoat(s) up, everything else is in my suitcase. No matter the length of my stay which are typically 2-4 nights.
Ok, this I don't totally understand. If I'm going to be somewhere for a few days the last thing i want is to have to rummage through a suitcase to find the clothes I'm going to wear that day (or evening), not to mention they'd all be wrinkled. It's easier to get them from the closet where they're hanging neatly or from the chest drawers. Maybe this is a guy vs. girl thing as opposed to a millennial thing?

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Ok, this I don't totally understand. If I'm going to be somewhere for a few days the last thing i want is to have to rummage through a suitcase to find the clothes I'm going to wear that day (or evening), not to mention they'd all be wrinkled. It's easier to get them from the closet where they're hanging neatly or from the chest drawers. Maybe this is a guy vs. girl thing as opposed to a millennial thing?

Cheers.
Dunno - I'm a guy and need a closet, for exactly the same reason you said (though less the wrinkle - I buy wrinkle-free )
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
No desk? Dumbest thing Marriott could ever do. A desk is required since I may do work with mouse all night, all day, whatever time. Well Marriott would probably lose me as LP if that is the case. But I am only one.

He should focus on climate control consistency , water pressure, HD TV channels, wifi speed and thin walls.
Well said. My guess is that these are thinly disguised cost saving measures spun as "preferences". Next someone will tell Bill "millennials" prefer to sleep on mats on the floor and that will be the end of beds...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by joshua362
My guess is that these are thinly disguised cost saving measures spun as "preferences".
That was my first thought when reading about the cut-backs, er, enhancements.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dll
I often don't work at a desk as I've discovered over the years, almost invariably, the desk is situated in the direct blow path of the air vent (often facing it at a 90-degree angle). Thus you are faced with the unsavory choice between freezing to death while you work or disabling and working in a stuffy room. Have others found the same to be true?
Originally Posted by plagwate
Yes, I experience this all the time and it annoys me to no end. If I could simply point the vents up, this issue would be resolved.
I have really only encountered this at Courtyards, which is one of many reasons I no longer stay at them.

My solution was to drape a towel over the ironing board and position it directly in front of the AC unit. Blocked the air from hitting me directly, but still kept the room cool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.