Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tip envelopes in rooms

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
I haven't stopped at the front desk to check out in 15 years unless I notice something massively wrong, so this would have to be done at check-in, putting the cart in front of the horse...
Correct, but I'm not imposing calling it a housekeeping service fees. Charge more for the room. Instead of $330 a night, it's now $331 or $332 as base rate, and Marriott manages it and gives $1-2 per each room a housekeeper cleans. Plain and simple, keep me out of it.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by dank0014
Correct, but I'm not imposing calling it a housekeeping service fees. Charge more for the room. Instead of $330 a night, it's now $331 or $332 as base rate, and Marriott manages it and gives $1-2 per each room a housekeeper cleans. Plain and simple, keep me out of it.
Gotcha, misunderstood.

Actually, this entire debate is so silly. Not from our perspective, but because the travel industry has long taken advantage of those on business accounts or vacationers. This just adds to a long list of junk fees capitalizing on captive travelers such as resorts fees, room service fees & charges, energy surcharges, $6 bottles of in room water, $5 candy bars in minibar, taxes above and beyond sales tax, baggage fees, $200 change fees, etc.

So why is anyone shocked now?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by dank0014
Here's a thought. Keep the rate at $330 and take $2 per night out of the profit. Plain and simple, keep me out of it.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I might start leaving SEIU information packs in rooms when I leave.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by catocony
I might start leaving SEIU information packs in rooms when I leave.
This is the best post of the entire thread! Make a pro-union flyer and put that in the tip envelope. Only a small fraction of the company’s housekeepers belong to labor unions. Less than 10 percent of Marriott’s workforce is unionized. Let the employees know the benefits of unionizing.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Mr. Marriott's blog isn't getting a lot of comments - or they're getting a lot of comments that they're gatekeeping out. If you'd like to comment, go to

http://www.blogs.marriott.com/

I've posted a comment but we'll see if it gets through. As a former Courtyard GM, I'm frankly appalled. Mr. Marriott was known for mostly writing his own stuff for years - I don't think he wrote this blog post.
They are definitely picking and choosing. My comments and three of my co-workers were NOT posted (they were negative). I did get called from his office.

This is sad. They are not even willing to admit how many are unhappy and posted single critical response. Total responses posted 6. We were 4 total UNHAPPY responses on the Blog.

No transparency!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
Millenials, the future generation that will be staying at Marriott properties, don't carry small bills. They use credit cards and other electronic payment methods for virtually everything.

Want to inspire better tipping? Don't leave an envelope in the room -- leave an option on the final bill to do so and ensure that the money is dispensed appropriately. I guarantee that would lead to more tips than a silly envelope, which will be largely ignored by people who aren't tipping now anyway.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by jed012788
Millenials, the future generation that will be staying at Marriott properties, don't carry small bills. They use credit cards and other electronic payment methods for virtually everything.

Want to inspire better tipping? Don't leave an envelope in the room -- leave an option on the final bill to do so and ensure that the money is dispensed appropriately. I guarantee that would lead to more tips than a silly envelope, which will be largely ignored by people who aren't tipping now anyway.
Exactly. This is why Starbucks now allows, after your drink is delivered, to tip your barista via the app.

Last edited by Segments; Sep 20, 2014 at 8:16 pm
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by acvitale
They are definitely picking and choosing. My comments and three of my co-workers were NOT posted (they were negative). I did get called from his office.

This is sad. They are not even willing to admit how many are unhappy and posted single critical response. Total responses posted 6. We were 4 total UNHAPPY responses on the Blog.

No transparency!
Count me and my two co-workers in as well - 3 more negative comments and none of them published. They only publish opinions they think are correct.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by jed012788

I'm not exactly a Millennial (born in 1964) but I don't carry cash anymore. I can leave for a week in five different cities with $1 in my wallet and return at the end of the week with the same sole $1. The GSO FS used to let us charge tips when I used to stay there frequently, but they stopped for some reason. Allowing us to easily add it to the final bill should be a no brainer to anyone living in 2014.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AMEX DL
I don't tip anything additional in restaurants that impose service charges regardless of any tip line. However, I would never leave the line blank. Drawing a heavy line through the space prevents someone from tampering later. I prefer to write the word INCLUDED in the space to make clear that I know what's going on.
What are you seeing on the menu that shows the service is included? I don't care to subsidize the restaurant industry's payroll either but I am intimidated by that tip line and usually add one. When I don't I do put the zero with a line through it but that feels too aggressive. I like your "included" better.

I've even thought of writing up something on a small card and leaving it to explain why I didn't tip (nobody subsidizes my payroll, etc...ask your employer to pay a wage reflective of your skills as I pay mine) but I'm guessing it would just be met with a lot of eye rolling.

Last edited by Ca77andra; Sep 21, 2014 at 9:25 am
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:50 am

Just returned from a one night stay at the Renaissance Blackstone in Chicago and had no problem immediately locating the tip envelope in my room.

Shame, I did have a problem locating clean bed linens on one of the two queen beds in my room. Called housekeeping and someone came to up to change the sheets, and actually admitted that the hotel was sold out the previous night, as well as the night I checked in, so probably the housekeeper was in a hurry and just changed one bed's linens only.

Guess the previous guest forgot to fill the envelope . . .
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've always assumed that one of the reasons that more upscale hotels provide stationery including envelopes is to make it easy to tip housekeepers.
This is what I use; makes it easy and an unambiguous, "HOUSEKEEPING," on the envelope leaves no room for doubt that this is a tip, not money left randomly on the bedside table/ desk.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL DM 360, Qatar Plat, Etihad Silver, MR Plat
Not sure if anyone saw the woman on Headline News over the weekend trying to explain the program and why people should tip the housekeeper. Best line...they work in a dangerous job and are often injured constantly lifting heavy comforters and moving furniture. I was under the impression Marriott was responsible for workers comp, not the guest.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I heard this on NPR in Chicago - it was a local program and they had some union leader on the show. She recommended $1-$4/day for regular hotels and $10ish (I think) for high end hotels. http://www.wbez.org/programs/afterno...usekeepers-and

She recommended tipping everyday since there can be different housekeepers and putting the tip on top of the pillow. Excuse me? Putting dirty money on my pillow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.