Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

False Rumor: Marriott Rewards Insiders Speculating About Changes Coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

False Rumor: Marriott Rewards Insiders Speculating About Changes Coming

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Call me crazy but....

I'm guessing that they're leaking the things above (universally pretty horrible, right?) so that when they announce a pretty bad devaluation, it ends up seeming not so bad. Marriott gets a big devaluation and guests are conned into believing it all could have been worse.

Maybe I just need a tin foil hat.
That thought crossed my mind. They've done it with other things.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:50 am

Not letting Platinums in unless they have a room on the Concierge Floor would be devastating. I would say about 75% of the times I stay somewhere there is no room on the CL floor at check in.

What would be the remaining benefits for a platinum?

I completely see this making sense for Golds especially now there are thousands of newly minted ones via United.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:04 am

Yeah, the new policy would require MORE work for the front desk, restaurant and IT, reprogramming who's keys work where and so on. I've been in my share of crowded lounges, but you'd just be moving people from the lounge to the restaurant.

This would cause a lot more arguments with the front desk and over the phone about getting charged for breakfast when you shouldn't be and not getting points when you should. Although maybe that's the point, if they make more money off the X% who don't bother complaining than they lose from (100-X)% who do.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Overall, a big
I'm not going to get too worked up over "I read a post from an anonymous person on another forum that said they talked to some unnamed person of unknown origin who claims that there may be changes being discussed....and I'm not sure how much was just speculation"

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 14, 2014 at 12:47 pm
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Call me crazy but....

I'm guessing that they're leaking the things above (universally pretty horrible, right?) so that when they announce a pretty bad devaluation, it ends up seeming not so bad. Marriott gets a big devaluation and guests are conned into believing it all could have been worse.

Maybe I just need a tin foil hat.
I buy into this. Make my hat an extra large.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
While I've had a few issues over the last decade w Marriott, I'm a fan. But yeah, if you happen to work for your Gold status (actually sleeping 35 -50 nights depending on whether you have the cc) - why would you even consider sticking around?

And if they get rid of 5th night free on top of devaluing the rates, ANYONE who sticks around needs to have a mental evaluation. There are valid options people.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:36 am

I think most of that is hog wash. Like this one:

However, Concierge lounge access will be eliminated for Golds and Plats unless upgraded to the concierge level rooms. (Gold and Plats will continue to receive free continental breakfast in the restaurant or points.)

Makes no sense. If you eliminated CL access accept for PP's there would be two people there some nights; one PP and one employee. I don't see that happening.

The CL will remain a "country club" for the common person who thinks he's accomplished something by staying a bunch of nights in a hotel. That ain't going away.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
At 75 nights, MT PLT is already the hardest top tier to achieve. It's hard to fathom they would take away lounge access from 75 night members, when you get it at 60 with Hilton, and 50 with Hyatt & Starwood.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by swag
At 75 nights, MT PLT is already the hardest top tier to achieve
Agreed. (Currently Hyatt DIA, SPG Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat and MR Gold). Bang for your buck, MR is the longest road to get there)

This is where I think they're going to try to con us (if any if this is true). Put it out there that they're going to strip Plats and Golds of a bunch of benefits and then only stick it to the Golds. Leaving bloggers and others to breathe a sigh of relief when actually what they've done is taken the Golds out back and beaten them to a pulp.

I know there aren't stats available but there has to be twice as many Golds (if not many more) than Plats. They end up achieving a massive kneecapping of a huge number of elites while it's perceived as reasonable because Plats were protected.

(Been Plat or Gold for the last ten years)
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Makes no sense. If you eliminated CL access accept for PP's there would be two people there some nights; one PP and one employee. I don't see that happening.
That would actually be kind of funny. But the rumor is no c/l access unless you are on the floor, so there would be more than that.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
I stood by MR taking 2-3x more points for mediocre hotels, but I'm not going to bend over backwards to go to a hotel chain when I can choose the cheaper best-reviewed instead. If they really view Gold as worthless because they chose to let the lowest tier of the crappiest airline have Gold, I guess they don't care about all the people who actually stayed those nights

On the other hand, rumors are pointless, but I think its worthwhile to say something if Marriott is actually pondering this.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MOC991
On the other hand, rumors are pointless, but I think its worthwhile to say something if Marriott is actually pondering this.
Then you better say it on Insiders because Marriott doesn't read FT any longer.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I'm certain they're thinking something has to be done given the way they've been minting Golds and PLT's these past years. They've already cutback the quality and quantity in the lounge steadily since 2008 IMO and the properties are likely on the edge of revolt right now.

Since they aren't afraid to completely fracture the benefits into splinters dependent on level, type of property, day of the week, etc, I could see them only giving lounge access to those upgraded to the top or PLT or PP. Still would be ton of eligibles...

(not that I agree with it...)
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
And I'm one of the "almost Golds" they are actively pursuing right now (Taste of Gold offer). I'm not spending a dime more than what I would already be spending this year, will take advantage of the bump for the next few months, and will organically reach it by the end of the year. And not for nothing...there are several Marriott properties that I *want* to stay at this year, so I'd be staying there no matter what I was offered or got.

We don't travel enough (leisure only) to ever make high status with any program, so I just earn and burn points with a few.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
I'm working to become MR Gold for the first time this year. I'm not tied to the program. If the Gold hits happen it won't bother me to switch programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.