Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Award Stay only avail w/ Upgrade Fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE

I'm looking at doing an booking at JW Marriott Khao Lak on/around CNY (end of January this time). Seems like from the dates I'm looking at, the only award stays available include a cash upgrade fee. Never saw one of these before. I'm probably going to go ahead and book it because DW and I have been wanting to go again, but the reward rules are giving me pause:

• This Rate Requires cash amount per night to be charged for guaranteed room upgrade.
  • By purchasing this rate you are agreeing to pay for a room upgrade which is subject to availability as part of your Elite member benefits.

Is this guaranteed upgrade subject to availability? If so, this seems akin to the UA W-Fare lottery!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:39 pm

I have gotten this many times in the past. Reserve the room and KEEP checking back and see if room opens with no upcharge. This has happened in both San Juan and in London (JW) and with persistence was able to find the room with no upcharge later.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Been clicking around a bit more and found one night w/out the charge, but with Chinese New Year, I think I might be SOL to score for the other nights. Another annoying piece is that the fees are non-refundable within 30 days of the stay AND advance pay. Fees are about the rough equiv of 30 USD per night.

Last edited by eleeut; Dec 22, 2013 at 7:28 pm
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:33 pm

That is when you you use the change feature to the reservation instead of "cancel". Change it for another date 30 days plus out and then "cancel" that one.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

why the ? i've never tried that before on an award booking. i'll do the legwork on checking, not expecting someone to spoon feed me here.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by eleeut
why the ? i've never tried that before on an award booking. i'll do the legwork on checking, not expecting someone to spoon feed me here.
Wasn't geared to you. It probably isn't not what Marriott intended to be an option, but the system allows this to take place. YMMV. It just saved me in San Juan recently so I know it it works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.