Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: karenkay
* No Lounge.
* No shuttle to town

* Titaniums get 10% discount on food and beverage but not room service, and 20% off the spa, a la carte menu only. The spa is called Quan. The beach massages are cheaper but you pay for what you get! Especially during peak season, it's very hard to get a spot after arriving, so be prepared to reserve something prior to arrival.
15% discount on laundry

* The one thing that is (very) irritating are the sunbed baggers! You arrive on the beach at 0830 and all the beach sunbeds are covered in towels - but not a soul in sight! There are some small signs saying all unattended beds for 1 hour+ will have their towels removed - but this is not enforced.

* if you're looking for reasonable transport in and around khao lak, highly recommend 'cheaper than hotel taxi'.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: Marriott PP
Originally Posted by doctor15
Do they also provide free breakfast for Golds here? My status is going to drop unfortunately..

Any thoughts on the standard rooms regarding space and sitting area? Is it fine for a couple for a few days? I dont think I like the idea of the pool access rooms for privacy.

Also, I know this is rather secluded. Are there decent restaurants within walking distance or is a car required? Any activities in the area? How is the beach?
I think what they mean by "lack of privacy" is the rooms that go directly into the pool. If you request and they are able to honor a room in Tower 1 or 2, the pool access rooms, most, have a small garden in front of your patio which allows some privacy to your room.

As to the privacy factor. If you're that hung up on "privacy" don't book a room on the first floor, go for the second or third level, however, it's really hard to see into the rooms from the pool in my opinion, but then again, I'm not trying to look.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Originally Posted by doctor15
Do they also provide free breakfast for Golds here? My status is going to drop unfortunately..

Any thoughts on the standard rooms regarding space and sitting area? Is it fine for a couple for a few days? I dont think I like the idea of the pool access rooms for privacy.

Also, I know this is rather secluded. Are there decent restaurants within walking distance or is a car required? Any activities in the area? How is the beach?
The beach is very good - nice and flat and depending on the weather, safe to swim. Good for walking in either direction for exercise in the fresh air and sun. On the beach either side of the resort there is a selection of local family run beach restaurants that are generally good and not expensive especially if you compare to hotel prices. I would not make any recommendation since every one will have their own preferences and opinions. Try a few and decide which you prefer.

We stayed for 5 nights in Jan this year and will be back for 6 nights in Jan next year. Will try BKKLEE's recommendation next time. Last time, after the first night in the hotel we ate on the beach each night.

As a plat we were upgraded to a duplex and it was very acceptable. Friends who are gold were upgraded to a villa close to the spa which apparently was also very nice.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 9:08 pm
soy

Programs: various
What are the times for the plat happy hours drinks at JW KL?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
yes, G's get breakfast........

the hotel is secluded............once you get to the main road from the hotel theres a small town about 5 kms south - try Jai - IMO best Thai food around.....

have no idea what you mean by lack of privacy w pool access rooms............
Also try the Hill Tribe Restaurant. It's about 400m south of the market/Tsunami memorial.

I assume the lack of privacy comment has to do with the people swimming by the pool access rooms. That's the sacrifice for being able to walk off your deck into the pool.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, USAirways Gold
Does anyone have the correct email I should use to request a pool-access room at the JW Khao Lak? I'm headed there in about a month and want to be sure to get one of those rooms.
Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:41 am

Mr tu

Hi, can I please get the details of mr tu?
Thankyou
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Who is Mr Tu ????

Originally Posted by Karla13
Hi, can I please get the details of mr tu?
Thankyou
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Who is Mr Tu ????
Isn't he the guy that sits between Mr Won and Ms Trey?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:24 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Update. Booked 3 nights at beginning of March. Used hotel limo service (yes I know I can get a taxi a tad cheaper but as part of my overall U/G strategy and its MUCH safer I prefer to do this). My certs booked into a Pool view room, and was UG to DLX Pool Access near to the restaurants / pool bar etc.
No lounge still, though since my last visit there is now a Deli, a souvenir shop, a dive shop and a shop selling plastic inflatables etc. Eventually found the library, mainly Scandinavian / German language titles but a few English ones also. There is also a small covered tent on the beach in front of the restaurant and a few shabbier books also here.
Looked at the meeting room, and have decided to have 1 of my meetings here later in the year - maybe a bit small but there will only be 5 of us.
As a G, we got breakfast for 2 daily - open 0630-1100 daily.
Also there is a (paid) happy hour at the Pool Bar, Czar Bar & Olive Bar daily from 1630 - 1730 daily. However G's & P's get free happy hour between 1800-1900 daily.
20% discount on food and beverage and 20% off the spa.
The spa is called Quan. On Mon, Weds & Fri's there is 50% off all treatments - very good value. The beach massages are cheaper but you pay for what you get!
The one thing that is (very) irritating are the sunbed baggers! You arrive on the beach at 0830 and all the beach sunbeds are covered in towels - but not a soul in sight! There are some small signs saying all unattended beds for 1 hour+ will have their towels removed - but this is not enforced.
Apparently, what folk are doing is not handing their towels in at the end of the day, but at night before they turn in, going and bagging sun beds from 2300 onwards - I would love to have seen peoples faces the morning we left as we came back rather late 1 night and decided on a bit of towel raiding
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:52 am
Suspended

I prefer no CL

A CL cost money to operate. Their free happy hour is great. Can combine it with the dinner menu and club Marriott half price food card.

Instead of putting money into a lounge I prefer them using those funds toward the property.

For the most part I don't fancy the lounge crowd anyways. In a Resort you would have the Germans swiping food, the Chinese slurping and the young parents thinking it's cute to have kids run a round and scream. Just like breakfast, basically!

Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Marriott Vacation Club
What kind of room upgrades do Golds get here at JWKL ? Anyone can PM me the email of the FOM ?

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:08 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by cattwl
What kind of room upgrades do Golds get here at JWKL ?

Thanks!
see post 30!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Hi All,

I've booked a room here for December for five nights. I am pretty excited. Is there a lounge that is open there? I seem some older posts about it... I just used points to pay the upgrade to guarantee that we would have a pool access room, as that sounds like a really cool experience!

I'm platinum with Marriott, and while I may get some upgrade, in terms of benefits, it sounds like what I can expect is free breakfast daily + 20% off all of the food. Is that accurate?

Would you recommend mostly eating on-site? Is there good Thai food near the hotel? I know it's far from the HKT airport. Should I rent a car or book r/t transportation through the hotel? I'm looking forward to relaxation + eating lots of Thai food .
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Hi All,

I've booked a room here for December for five nights. I am pretty excited. Is there a lounge that is open there? I seem some older posts about it... I just used points to pay the upgrade to guarantee that we would have a pool access room, as that sounds like a really cool experience!

I'm platinum with Marriott, and while I may get some upgrade, in terms of benefits, it sounds like what I can expect is free breakfast daily + 20% off all of the food. Is that accurate?

Would you recommend mostly eating on-site? Is there good Thai food near the hotel? I know it's far from the HKT airport. Should I rent a car or book r/t transportation through the hotel? I'm looking forward to relaxation + eating lots of Thai food .
Read the wiki on top. It applies.

Renting a car is definitely the way to go.

Lots of food and restaurants in the village.

Enjoy the trip.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Allvest
Read the wiki on top. It applies.
I have read the entire thread, including the wiki at the top, but there is no timestamp on the last edit, and people do mention that a lounge is being created or it is at least referenced so I wanted to check, but it's always nice to get the "read the manual" type responses lol.
Renting a car is definitely the way to go.
Good to know - thanks! In terms of renting a car in Phuket, I have rented a car in some countries where they force you to buy all sorts of insurance options in order to have the car. How does that sort of thing work in Thailand? Should I assume that renting a car is similar to in the USA and that the total price + tax I see is what I'll pay there? Any tips for driving there? I see that parking at the JW is free - is it safe to drive around town and leave the car parked? As long as we'll be driving, any recommended day trips from the JW?
Lots of food and restaurants in the village.
Awesome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.