Wiki Posts
Search

Moscow Advice (Cat 5 Certs)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Moscow Advice (Cat 5 Certs)

Hi folks, looking for recommendation on where to stay in Moscow between New Years and Christmas. It will be cold, so looking for easy metro access to tourist sights. We will be coming in from SVO and leaving on the train to LED.

We have multiple Cat 5 certs to burn, so it looks like these are our choices:

Moscow Marriott Tverskaya
Renaissance Moscow Olympic Hotel
Renaissance Moscow Monarch Centre Hotel
Courtyard Moscow Paveletskaya

It looks like the Monarch is close to the train from SVO. But...overall, where do you recommend we stay?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Take a look at georgebazs posts which respond to your questions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post19953425

Last edited by bdschobel; Sep 22, 2013 at 1:55 pm Reason: removed some personal discussion
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: AC SE, Aeroflot Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
I don't love any of those options, although I have no experience with Renaissance Monarch Centre.

Of them, for the central location, I would have to choose Tverskaya. The Marriott Grand (also on Tverskaya St.) is an excellent property, but I realize that doesn't help you given you need Category 5. Enjoy Moscow!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Of them, for the central location, I would have to choose Tverskaya. The Marriott Grand (also on Tverskaya St.) is an excellent property, but I realize that doesn't help you given you need Category 5. Enjoy Moscow!
I agree Tverskaya seems to have the closest Metro access. However all four seem to be within decent walking distance to a station. The previous reviews point favorably to the ease of access to the Monarch...but it does seem to be a bit isolated from the others outside the ring road.

Hoping that someone here can have anecdotal evidence to sway me either way

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
guess that happens when you price oneself out of alternatives like the Aurora and/or Grand (personal recent stay)..........cheap is as cheap gets............
Please re-read my previous post carefully and do not post here again until your maturity level increases.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Aeroflot Bonus, local tram pass
Tverskaya or Olympic

Originally Posted by pgh234

It looks like the Monarch is close to the train from SVO. But...overall, where do you recommend we stay?
I stayed at Courtyard Moscow Paveletskaya about a year ago and wouldn't even consider burning a Cat 5 certificate in it, let alone 'multiple' ones. They won't even give you a free breakfast. Besides, it's far from the SVO train.
A friend of mine is a fan of Monarch, but I have no personal experience with it.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP /United Silver/Marriot Plat / HH Gold / SPG Gold
I stayed for a week a couple weeks back at the Marriot Olympic....I was upgraded to a Club level as a Gold member -

Thought Club level service was good - great spreads for Bfast, and afternoon snacks....

Internet was very fast - and room was spacious.

I'd rate it fairly high as far as a good use of Free Night certs.

The hotel is about a 5 min walk (4 or 5 blocks) to the Prospekt Mira metro station (Orange and Brown lines - 2 stops on the Brown line to the SVO aeroexpress train). They also provide daily shuttle service to many locations within Moscow (Red Square etc).

Last edited by jcooper90; Sep 16, 2013 at 3:09 pm
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:05 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Last year I stayed in CY Moscow City Center, CY Paveletskaya & the Moscow Marriott Grand.

CY City center has since then jumped to Category 6 I noticed. If I remember well it used to be a Category 4 then. The CY Paveletskaya stayed at Category 4.

As the CY Paveletskaya is the only relevant to you: It's just a plain CY hotel. Nothing fancy. It's not within walking distance (certainly not in December) of anything spectacular. It's pretty close to the train station with easy access to 2 subway lines (brown & green), those get you fast enough to tourist attractions. I remember we picked this hotel as it was easy to get there with the airport express, we landed at DME. I suppose this is of no help to you as you arrive at another airport.

All hotels in Moscow are way overpriced so you get good value for your certificates over here. Too bad the CY City Center seems to have jumped up.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: StarAlliance Gold, 1K, Marriott Platinum
I have just stayed at the

1) It is right near Belarusky Train station very convenient walk to and from there even in the cold, the number 2 train goes right to the Kremlin the number 5 to Gorky park. You only have to cross one small street if you go the not so obvious way, the obvious way is not so hard since you can see the train station right in front of you. In the winter though it can be icy and slippery.

2) There is no concierge lounge but they give you a free breakfast in the 2nd floor the breakfast is ok decent selection of food items and but nothing that will blow you away (ahh good times in Munich).

3) The fitness center is nice and they have a suana but no pool, However if you are so inclined you are allowed to go to the grand Marriott and use the pool there (I was not so inclined and never brought a swim suit so no idea what that experience would have been like).

4) The bed was very comfortable and the hotel was quiet. They have a perfect setup a lobby above the lobby, if you are a guest at the hotel the 4th floor has a very nice open lobby you can sit talk and be with friends and not have to sit in the main lobby with people coming and going.

If you have more specific questions on this property I would be glad to help you
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Best Marriott hotels in Moscow are Marriott Grand Hotel and Ritz.
By paying the stay I was in the Courtyard Moscow City Center, nice rate with breakfast, good neighborhood safe and quiet, upgraded to suite room because of platinum, early check-in 9.00 am and late check-out 7.00 pm... I strongly recommend it.

Last edited by Circusplaza; Sep 17, 2013 at 7:40 am
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone. It looks like I will settle for the Tverskaya and sacrifice the property/club for easy access in the winter.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by pgh234
Hi folks, looking for recommendation on where to stay in Moscow between New Years and Christmas. It will be cold, so looking for easy metro access to tourist sights. We will be coming in from SVO and leaving on the train to LED.

we will be in the exact same position later this year....

landing at svo on christmas day & leaving by train for st. petersburg the following morning....i have a cat 5 cert that i'm looking to use for a 1 night stay....we will be back in moscow the following week for 5 nights & will be staying at the st. regis....

which property would you guys recommend for this short 1 night stay????
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Keyser
we will be in the exact same position later this year....

landing at svo on christmas day & leaving by train for st. petersburg the following morning....i have a cat 5 cert that i'm looking to use for a 1 night stay....

which property would you guys recommend for this short 1 night stay????
These are your 3 options if you want full-service properties within the Cat 1-5 category. All 3 have exec lounges.

Moscow Marriott Grand
Moscow Marriott Novy Arbat (drops to Cat 5 March 7th)
Renaissance Moscow Monarch Centre Hotel (drops to Cat 3 March 7th)

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Feb 20, 2017 at 11:43 am
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
These are your 3 options if you want full-service properties within the Cat 1-5 category. All 3 have exec lounges.

Moscow Marriott Grand
Moscow Marriott Novy Arbat (drops to Cat 5 March 7th)
Renaissance Moscow Monarch Centre Hotel (drops to Cat 3 March 7th)

Cheers.
thanks....which one would you say is best located from a tourist point of view????
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Renaissance is the most modern. Grand is best located, but old.
In essence, all are crappy.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Renaissance is the most modern. Grand is best located, but old.
In essence, all are crappy.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
sucks....what is the immediate area like around the hotels????are there any shops or cafes or restaurants that we could walk to????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.