Wiki Posts
Search

platinum vs platinum elite?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
platinum vs platinum elite?

I looked all over and cannot find the answer to this ?....I had platinum eiite about 2 years ago and I assumed lost the status....I am HH diamond and was "grounded" several months ago and had only completed my diamond status with hilton..but when i go to the marriot rewards website it shows me as having "platinum" status--
I need to figure this out as although Im still a hilton loyalist, Im going to start doing some travel and staying at marriots so I need to figure out my situation there....is there a diff between platinum and platinum elite?
thanks so much!!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
No difference between "Platinum" and "Platinum Elite." "Platinum Premier" is a higher designation, albeit one with not advantage over "Platinum" except a different telephone number to call.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by CJKatl
albeit one with not advantage over "Platinum" except a different telephone number to call.
Sadly that was not the case a few years ago. BTW we did get a travel kit last year. So that was 1 difference
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:59 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Given that Marriott has higher requirements (i.e. 75 nights and no stay accruals), they have a tendency to be a little more free with renewing elite statuses each year. Thus even if you don't meet the requirements for your current elite level, they may well comp you that elite level anyway. And it looks like they may have been doing that for you even though you haven't been staying there much over the last year or two.

Note that while "earning" elite status is based on nights stayed within a calendar year, the acutal elite status is good through February of the next year. So while you may be listed as a Plat today, you may want to check/verify that they have given you Plat status for the whole year. Otherwise you may drop to Gold status after February.

But even with that drop, there aren't too many benefits you would loose. Gold elite gets you most of the best Plat type benefits (lounge acccess, room upgrades.) Marriott is very similar to Hilton in that regard as for both programs Gold is almost the same as the top level elite status.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I was thinking that as of feb, it may drop down. thanks. wo what is a travel kit? I got a deck of cards from hilton
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by hnewman
Sadly that was not the case a few years ago. BTW we did get a travel kit last year. So that was 1 difference
Maybe something is on the way in March? Don't give up hope just yet!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.