Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Post great vacation hotels worth saving certificates for. Include the State/Country and category and reason.

Canada

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount Category 4
Located right outside the busy downtown but a quick walk or train ride away. Right near shopping center.

Malaysia:

JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur Category 4
Great value for a JW, in the heart of the city and excellent service

Phu Quoc, Vietnam:

JW Phu Quoc - Cat 5 - beautiful beachfront resort with rates from $350-$650 ++/night

Bangkok, Thailand:

Three of the full service Marriott properties are Cat 5. All three have central locations and reputation for good elite recognition:

Renaissance Ratchaprasong
Marriott Suk 57
Marriott Marquis

USA
Florida:

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East Category 5
One of the closest hotels to the beach that is available for cert use and has a free shuttle to take you to the beach

Curacao, Netherlands Antilles:
Renaissance, DT Willemstad. Category 5.
On an ocean harbor, not a swimmable beach, but in the center of the action for nightlife, also for NYE, Mardi Gras, etc. festivities.

Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles:
Courtyard, Category 4!
Brand-new hotel. 5--10 minute walk inland from the ocean beach. It's the only major chain hotel on that island, so all other hotels are available only by paying real money.

Quito, Ecuador
JW Marriott, Category 5

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Renaissance São Paulo, Cat.5 Very good location,excellent quality of service,pre-confirmed suite upgrades,executive lounge F&B.
Print Wikipost

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Courtyard Seoul. I'm getting almost US$200 of value per certificate, which makes me happy. For my next ones, I'm looking at Courtyard Hong Kong, mentioned earlier in the thread.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: All of Them
Originally Posted by ramolnar
Courtyard Seoul. I'm getting almost US$200 of value per certificate, which makes me happy. For my next ones, I'm looking at Courtyard Hong Kong, mentioned earlier in the thread.
Stayed at CY Seoul in December on 3 cat 1-4 certs. That hotel is fantastic and its lounge is one of the best at any marriott in the world I've been to, all at a CY... go figure.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there a way to see how many you have left in your account without calling?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
Used a Cat 5 at the Marriott at Camden Yards in Baltimore (now a Cat 6) for when the Yankees are in town at the end of the month.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is there a way to see how many you have left in your account without calling?
Login to your Marriott account and click on the link to show all recent rewards activity. You will see all the activity for the current month. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and there is a list of unused certificates with the expiration dates, which also includes any from previously ordered travel packages.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
I am using my 2 Cat. 1-5 certs at a RI in Massachusetts, for which the regular rate on my dates is $169. Considering I spent no more than $70 for the nights I earned them with, I consider this acceptable value .
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:15 pm

Used it to reserver Residence Inn Ottawa, Ontario
$189/night
was Cat 4, now Cat 5

Got the free night after 2 $80/night stays, so it's not bad

There's no good Cat4 Marriotts around Toronto anyway to redeem
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:18 pm
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
Used one at courtyard Seattle downtown (now moved up to cat 6) and other coming up at Renaissance Tuscany next week!!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
prague CY tomorrow er today..
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VA1379
Login to your Marriott account and click on the link to show all recent rewards activity. You will see all the activity for the current month. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and there is a list of unused certificates with the expiration dates, which also includes any from previously ordered travel packages.
Thanks! I earned three in the last promotion, but it is only showing one certificate?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:09 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I used one at Manhattan Beach Marriott (cat 4) during a LAX mileage run. Convenient to the airport and nice views of the on-site golf course, but there's not much else there. It's a trek to downtown LA.

I could have used two more at Couryard Newark but I decided to use a paid booking instead so I could get a suite (which was only about $50/nt. more than a paid room, but ofc. not available using certificate)
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Thanks! I earned three in the last promotion, but it is only showing one certificate?
Did you request a change in the type of MegaBonus promo? If you did, the additional certificates might not have posted without a manual sweep. You should call Marriott Rewards and inquire about the other two free room certificates.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:41 pm

Using one of my Cat. 1-4 certificates next weekend in Pittsburgh at the Residence Inn right across from PNC Park. I made the reservation before the devaluation and it changed to a category 5. Room is otherwise going for about $200.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:14 pm

anyone try to exchange these certs

Hi FT: I have four 1-4 cat certs. One was coming due and called MR Platinum line and they extended it 6 months. I still might have trouble using these as the places I travel and pay for on my own typically don't have 1-4 cats. Has anyone been able to exchange these for either points or something like 2 1-4 cat cert for 1 1-? cat cert?

Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VA1379
Did you request a change in the type of MegaBonus promo? If you did, the additional certificates might not have posted without a manual sweep. You should call Marriott Rewards and inquire about the other two free room certificates.
Yes, that's exactly what happened. Let's hope they will know what I am talking about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.