Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Lima, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Lima, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:07 pm

I would love to know how you arrange your itinerary and which tour you use, as I am also planning this trip. Good luck!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Thanks....

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Lima has quite a bit to see - certainly 3-4days but to fill a week... probably not - you are better spending a few days in Arequipa (Colca Canyon) or heading north to see a bit of the country there. I seem to remember reading in the guidebooks there were some interesting ruins north of Lima that you may be able to see on a day trip, or on an overnight trip.

As an FYI you can easily (and pretty cheaply) fly between the various Peruvian cities if you book ahead with LAN for perhaps $70USD pp per leg on one-way fares rather than any buses between places. Personally I did Lima-Arequipa-Cuzco-Porto Maldonado-Lima and don't remember it costing too much (was short of time). You may find it saves money (and is convenient) if you book your own airfares and meet a guide in Cuzco.

Also worth mentioning that the Marriott is a lovely hotel, it would be nice to spend quite a bit of time there, but there isn't a nearby beach (it is about 300m away, but down a huge steep cliff so you need to take a detour) if you wanted a relaxing bit of beach time it wouldn't work so well - and other than having food/nightlife nearby there isn't going to be much to do during the day.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for the info...I have been doing a little more research and I did actually read the trip report from one of the links provided in this thread. OMG....I had to take a nap from one of them. But now that I'm awake again, I just have to say that we don't travel like that (one day here, one day there, two days here, one day there, one day here, two days there, you get the point). We've been visiting different countries every year since we were married and we've never traveled like that...it's just not for us. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it....but we purposely do not fill our "to do" list with activities every single minute of the day. For us, it is not as enjoyable that way.

I have been reading some trip reports and I feel much more comfortable spending a week in Lima. It really spends on how you travel. If you are one of those folks that love to spend a day or two here and a day or two there--then it is probably way too long for those type of travelers. It appears that there are plenty of things to do in Lima for a week--some report even longer. We'll probably line up a private tour guide for one full day and perhaps 3 half days (same tour guide).

I think after a 4-7 night guided tour to Machu Picchu (and a few other great places of interest), we'll be looking forward to a little less face-paced week to round out two weeks in Peru.

I think the Marriott will be a fabulous place to spend our last week. I'm on the hunt for private tour guides in Lima and relatively small tour operators for the 4-7 night tour for the Machu Picchu portion of our trip.

I'll be watching for JW Marriott reports--but I think we'll love it there!

Thanks....

Dawn
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by kymbakitty
Thanks for the info...I have been doing a little more research and I did actually read the trip report from one of the links provided in this thread. OMG....I had to take a nap from one of them. But now that I'm awake again, I just have to say that we don't travel like that (one day here, one day there, two days here, one day there, one day here, two days there, you get the point). We've been visiting different countries every year since we were married and we've never traveled like that...it's just not for us. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it....but we purposely do not fill our "to do" list with activities every single minute of the day. For us, it is not as enjoyable that way.

I have been reading some trip reports and I feel much more comfortable spending a week in Lima. It really spends on how you travel. If you are one of those folks that love to spend a day or two here and a day or two there--then it is probably way too long for those type of travelers. It appears that there are plenty of things to do in Lima for a week--some report even longer. We'll probably line up a private tour guide for one full day and perhaps 3 half days (same tour guide).

I think after a 4-7 night guided tour to Machu Picchu (and a few other great places of interest), we'll be looking forward to a little less face-paced week to round out two weeks in Peru.

I think the Marriott will be a fabulous place to spend our last week. I'm on the hunt for private tour guides in Lima and relatively small tour operators for the 4-7 night tour for the Machu Picchu portion of our trip.

I'll be watching for JW Marriott reports--but I think we'll love it there!

Thanks....

Dawn
For anyone looking for a tour guide of Lima as well as private transportation from and to the Lima Airport, my wife and I would highly recommend Edward Ventocilla who operates a small tour company. We spent three days with this charming young man and enjoyed him so much we invited him to join us for dinner at La Mar. His English is superior as he lived in Denver for several years. His knowledge of the city and environs is excellent. He can be contacted at [email protected] or on his cell at 990292935. He has his own website at www.limacabs.com. Please mention that his teacher friends from San Diego recommended him. I'm certain he will quote you a rate that is highly competitive.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:23 pm

Excellent!

Originally Posted by maltasr
For anyone looking for a tour guide of Lima as well as private transportation from and to the Lima Airport, my wife and I would highly recommend Edward Ventocilla who operates a small tour company. We spent three days with this charming young man and enjoyed him so much we invited him to join us for dinner at La Mar. His English is superior as he lived in Denver for several years. His knowledge of the city and environs is excellent. He can be contacted at [email protected] or on his cell at 990292935. He has his own website at www.limacabs.com. Please mention that his teacher friends from San Diego recommended him. I'm certain he will quote you a rate that is highly competitive.

Thanks! Now this is the information that is priceless! Yes, we will definitely want transportation to/from the hotel, plus a couple of half day tours and one full day tour of the sights to see in Lima. While some would say that there is no enough in Lima to sustain a full week's stay, other's couldn't disagree more (trip reports).

I had a little chuckle when I read "Denver," but that only makes it more interesting!

Dawn
Old Jun 21, 2010, 1:58 pm

Thanks!

Originally Posted by jra3
I stayed here in 2005 on an award stay and got upgraded to concierge level, though no suite. Great lounge, small but delightful outdoor pool. You'll really enjoy this property. Don't miss dinner at Huaca Pucllana http://www.theperuguide.com/lima/res...llo/huaca.html, as it's totally awesome.
Great post....I'm always looking for a fabulous place for our anniversary. We are always in another country on vacation and it is getting so hard to top the prior year, year after year after year.

Thanks!

Dawn
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have now stayed at the Lima Marriott twice. My experience was mixed. The hotel is great, the rooms are modern and fresh, and the Executive Lounge is superb. The front desk staff was a bit frustrating, however.

The hofel is located in the upscale suburb of Miraflores, overlooking the ocean. Other chain hotels in Lima include the Sheraton, in downtown - a marginal location - and the Doubletree, also in Miraflores. It is my impression that the Marriott is the most luxurious of the 3.

If you arrange transport thru the hotel, it costs $30 from the airport. If you charge it to the room, it gets a 29% markup. Thus, we paid the driver directly. There is no licensing of taxis in Lima, and it is safer to use the hotel service. The hotel is about a 30 minute drive from the airport.
How far is this hotel from the DoubleTree?

1 mile or more?

Thanks

Tasnam
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by maltasr

maltasr,

I have emailed your friend and contact to get a price for the taxi. I will let you know how this works out.

Thank You.

Tasnam
Old May 25, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Fantastic property; one of the best I've stayed in. Concierge lounge is awesome.

We used Limacabs several times; they were great and the price was very good. I highly recommend them. Edward is great.

Edit: One of the best hotel gyms I've seen. Full set of free weights, benches, and machines.

Last edited by iflyjetz; May 26, 2011 at 1:35 pm
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:11 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
photo review

here a photo review of my recent stay JW marriott lima in a standard room

http://wpjrnl.com/2011/10/15/jw-marr...standard-room/

Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: A/E Plat,A/E Plat.AP,Taca Gold,KLM Gold,MPolo Gold,Marr. Gold,C.Club Gold,A.Gold Infinate,Em.Exec,
Thumbs up Lima Marriott

I have stayed there previously and have nothing but excellent remarks. I'm returning this April and, after experiencing other luxury hotels in Lima, will book this without hesitation. I suggest spending the extra for the Junior suites. Perfectly appointed and well suited to entertaining. The view of the ocean is spectacular and waking each morning to the colourful and abundant gliders fly past your window as you lay in bed is a wonderful way to start the day. The service is impeccable from the time you arrive. The restaurant is elegant with great views and the food is as good as the perfect presentation.
Located in a safe beautiful neighborhood steps from the ocean. I hope you enjoy it as much as I.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:25 am

I'll echo the "great property" sentiment, although I think the Miraflores Park (part of Orient Express) is dramatically more memorable. The JW is what you would think/hope it would be...efficient, totally function for business, decent restaurant, good restaurant. That said, and I realize that "local flavor" and "JW" don't necessary go together, there is nothing particularly Peruvian or interesting about it. The Miraflores Park reminds me of the Alvear Palace in BsAs - a much more unique and luxurious experience.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
The excellent lunch buffet has plenty of local cuisine.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: A/E Plat,A/E Plat.AP,Taca Gold,KLM Gold,MPolo Gold,Marr. Gold,C.Club Gold,A.Gold Infinate,Em.Exec,
The Miraflores Park is a nice hotel, quiet, elegant and the best showers I can think of. The rooms and view do not equal that of the Marriott Jr. suites. Even the larger corner rooms don't compare. The rooftop pool and restaurant are very nice. A wonderful Orient Express property but, in my opinion, is in need of a little upgrade. If you are looking for a more authentic Peruvian experience choose one of the many other hotels throughout Peru...or marry a Peruvian as I did! But, when it comes to an ocean view, large luxurious rooms, great food and service in Lima, this one can't be beat. Having said all that, I must admit, outside of Lima, the Orient Express properties are my first choice.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My daughter stayed there a few weeks ago on my points and raved about the hotel and especially the lounge.

She said that the food offerings were exceptional and the staff were equally wonderful. One of her companions was a vegetarian and when they enquired about veggie options in the lounge, they were asked what they'd like and the staff arranged to have the choice cooked to order.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:07 pm

I've already booked to return again but just read "JW Marriott Lima Peru voted one of the top 500 hotels in the world by T&L Magazine"

I guess I'm not the only one who enjoys it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.