Wiki Posts
Search

has anyone used a blacklight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2023, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott
has anyone used a blacklight

I was wondering if any of you have every used a blacklight in a Marriott room?

And if it looked like a disaster, what would you do?
Old Aug 29, 2023, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by golfnerd

To answer your two questions:

a) No I haven't. I do not live in an episode of CSI.

b) I would call the police and let events play out like an episode of CSI probably being wrongly accused before being exonerated in the final act by a stray piece of evidence.
cre95, lougord99, ntamayo and 15 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Some things are best left unknown..... Once Pandora's box is open, it can never be closed again.....

--Jon

P.S. And one more cliché for good measure, Ignorance is bliss.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 9:34 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Please leave your blacklight home when you come visit me.
uanj, nacho and ElevatorEnthusiast like this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I know some Asian cabin crews are germophobic, one told me that she bought bath tub covers so that she could take a bath in peace, the other one said she never touches the TV remote because they are disgusting.

My mum brought her own towel to dry her private parts... I was speechless as the towels are washed with enough chemicals that no germ could survive. What about going to a restaurant? You think all the cutleries are clean and what about the plate your food is served in?

If there is a pond of blood or blood stain on my bed, I'd raise the issue to the front desk. It's like the building supervisor who built our house said, "if you can see this from 1 metre (around 1 yard), then it doesn't count".

There are things you just need to not think about - if you do, don't go out, don't eat out.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime Silver Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by golfnerd

Yes, and I don't recommend it. It'll pick up everything that can absorb and reflect this UV-range light; the things that are creepy and others we don't care about. Fabric brighteners include a UV component to make the clothing appear brighter; you'll find lint and other fabrics.

YMMV

-C
mlbcard likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 12:07 pm

Ignorance is bliss
Old Aug 31, 2023, 11:32 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Schnit
Ignorance is bliss
Man, if that was true, so many folks would appear much happier than they seem
Steve M and joshua362 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Man, if that was true, so many folks would appear much happier than they seem
Well played, sir.
Jiatong likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by nacho
she bought bath tub covers so that she could take a bath in peace
Well, so I had to go and look that up...of all the things I never knew existed...looks like a good way to drown and / or flood the hotel.
Norexan likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Well, so I had to go and look that up...of all the things I never knew existed...looks like a good way to drown and / or flood the hotel.
https://euqs.shein.com/1pc-Plastic-D...p=dir&ret=euqs
Old Sep 29, 2023, 1:36 pm

Same thing with swabs and petri dishes - my middle schooler would have a field day for her science experiment: TV remote vs toilet seat!
Old Oct 2, 2023, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ntamayo
Same thing with swabs and petri dishes - my middle schooler would have a field day for her science experiment: TV remote vs toilet seat!
Do a swab on your phone to compare: https://time.com/4908654/cell-phone-bacteria/
Old Oct 2, 2023, 7:35 pm

I have a ton of flashlights, including UV... but I know better than to drag the UV into a hotel room. I'm not a germophobe but I do want to be able to sleep peacefully.

Re: hotel TV remotes, I do bring my own. I usually carry a Roku and/or TiVO streaming box w/TiVO remote.

Many years ago I was brought in to fix a new hotel's IPTV system. After many go-arounds with the various contractors, they finally had it fixed, so we thought. I insisted on seeing the previous night's log as proof. I saw the normal things: people turning on the TV, the guide loading, people choosing channels, etc. We saw people buy movies, no problem. Then I saw someone purchase a movie, then multiple times where I saw Play, re-sync, play, re-sync, etc. The PPV title's filenames were just numeric in the logs (ie: A00124.MP4). So we pulled the Guide database which referenced the MP4 files.... Let's just say it wasn't a family-friendly film. Apparently re-sync was the person rewinding/pausing. I've been bringing my own remotes ever since.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
I insisted on seeing the previous night's log as proof. I saw the normal things: people turning on the TV, the guide loading, people choosing channels, etc.
The level of guest data that hotels capture is far creepier than anything that might be stuck to a TV remote.
asovse1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.