Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by BigE
Where was this? No code needed? That's pretty generous and I've never seen it before. I'd say the combined points are worth more like $300, though (post-UA-devaluation).
Nope, no code needed at all! That's why I was so surprised to see it. It also includes a 50$ resort stay credit and two in-flight mai tai coupons. (I'm assuming only if you fly United? It doesnt mention that anywhere though, so who knows)

The Mai Tais might give it away . Just please leave me a room, I havent booked yet

Last edited by Smiley90; Jul 28, 2015 at 1:25 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Nope, no code needed at all! That's why I was so surprised to see it. It also includes a 50$ resort stay credit and two in-flight mai tai coupons. (I'm assuming only if you fly United? It doesnt mention that anywhere though, so who knows)

The Mai Tais might give it away, but this is for Hawaii. Just please leave me a room, I havent booked yet
See it where though? I don't see it on the deals or landing page.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
See it where though? I don't see it on the deals or landing page.
You only see it when you click through all the way for only one hotel, under marriot rewards offers room selection

Rate Rules

United Airlines Mileage Promotion, includes 50 USD food and beverage credit per stay, 10000 airline partner miles per stay, see Rate Rules

Additional Information
United Airlines Mileage Promotion
Includes 10,000 Bonus United Airlines Miles with a four night
stay or 15,000 Bonus miles when staying five nights or longer
as well as one time 50 USD food and beverage credit per stay.
Also includes two in-flight Mai Tais. Hotel to mail Mai Tai
coupons to guests directly prior to arrival. Please ensure
hotel has the correct mailing address on reservation.
4 night minimum night stay is required. 10,000 bonus miles will
be issued by United Airlines after departure.
Travel dates are April 15, 2015 through October 31, 2015
It's been going on for a while apparently!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
You only see it when you click through all the way for only one hotel, under marriot rewards offers room selection

It's been going on for a while apparently!
So you're saying you only found it on one particular hotel? When you searched for your vacation did you look at other hotels but not find the same offer? Would you mind sharing what hotel?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardengirl
So you're saying you only found it on one particular hotel? When you searched for your vacation did you look at other hotels but not find the same offer? Would you mind sharing what hotel?
-yes
-yes (as in, no, I didn't find it anywhere else, that's why I came here and asked if it was common)
-I'll send you a PM lol

EDIT: Actually never mind, the offer is on the Marriot website, as a little bit of google revealed:

https://www.marriott.com/specials/me...39&co=US&nt=PH

Bonus Points/Miles — Hawaii: Earn up to 15,000 bonus miles + $50 to dine
beach luggage
Pack your shorts, sandals and sunscreen. Spend time in paradise and earn up to 15,000 United MileagePlus® bonus award miles.
From June 15 - September 7, 2015, stay any night and our exclusive package includes:

- 10,000 bonus miles when you stay four consecutive nights
- 15,000 bonus miles when you stay five consecutive nights or more
- $50 dining credit at select resort restaurants
- Complimentary in-flight Mai Tai

This member exclusive offer lets you relax in tropical luxury at any of the four Marriott Hawaii resorts.

Room reservation is based on availability. Please see below for more terms and conditions.

For Reservations:
Click on "Check Availability" to make an online reservation, or call 1-800-721-6996 or one of our toll-free worldwide reservation numbers and quote the Promotional Code for this offer.
Valid through: September 7, 2015
Promotional Code: M12 What's this?

Last edited by Smiley90; Jul 28, 2015 at 1:32 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
The M12 rate seems to extend thru the end of October, so plenty of time to plan. With published rates on some very nice properties as low as $144/nite it would be a great deal; after resort fees are added on, it's a good deal.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
I just tried changing a current reservation (4 nights, Waikiki Marriott Resort) to a M12 reservation and found that I would have to pay a higher rate for the same room class. So beware.

Previous charge $209/night partial ocean view, M12 change gives $249/night for same room.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by willryu
I just tried changing a current reservation (4 nights, Waikiki Marriott Resort) to a M12 reservation and found that I would have to pay a higher rate for the same room class. So beware.

Previous charge $209/night partial ocean view, M12 change gives $249/night for same room.
What rate did you have to begin with?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably because prices went up since you booked it or the promo prices arent the same for each hotel? When I look at your hotel right now the cheapest price for the promo is actually 299+30 resort fee.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
What rate did you have to begin with?
$209 before and $249 after with the M12 code applied.

I just tried another booking for 9/6 to 9/7 with the M12 code. I see both the "best available" and a "Special Summer 2015" rate.

For the same room class, the "Special Summer 2015" is $40 more than "best available" so with the $50 daily credit, you gain $10 on the trip if you plan to spend it at the hotel. I find it strange they would have two rates like this listed.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium

I experimented with this too last night.

I used the link from the previous post to go to marriott.com. Logged in to look at other specials offered since we're not currently interested in Hawaii. Found one for Tuscany in Sept. at the same place I already have a points reservation. It also used the M12 promotion code and goes through 9/11. I tried to get dates after that and got a notice that the code wasn't available past 9/11. So I checked the M12 rate on applicable days against both the Military and Senior rates. Both of those were better than the M12.

Of course, this deal mentioned nothing about United miles while it still used M12 as the code.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardengirl
I experimented with this too last night.

I used the link from the previous post to go to marriott.com. Logged in to look at other specials offered since we're not currently interested in Hawaii. Found one for Tuscany in Sept. at the same place I already have a points reservation. It also used the M12 promotion code and goes through 9/11. I tried to get dates after that and got a notice that the code wasn't available past 9/11. So I checked the M12 rate on applicable days against both the Military and Senior rates. Both of those were better than the M12.

Of course, this deal mentioned nothing about United miles while it still used M12 as the code.
The problem is that M12 ONLY applies to Hawaii. See:

http://www.marriott.com/specials/mes...splayLink=true

And ONLY those 4 hotels you get 10/15k miles with.

There IS an M12 deal for Tuscany, but it's a different one!

http://www.marriott.com/specials/mes...splayLink=true

15% off and 2k marriot points per stay, and ONLY for one hotel. (Barga)

Search for flexible dates and the M12 rate might give you a better deal? I'll see what I can find for Hawaii.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay here we go, including resort fees:

Keep in mind it also includes 50.- USD in resort credit (so, 10-12.5 USD per day if you stay 4/5 nights) and 10/15k miles (4/5 nights)

Waikiki:

M12: 279.-
Best Rate: 239.-

Lihue:

Best Rate: 259.-
M12: 329.-

Waikoloa:

Best Rate: 199.-
Marriot Member Rate: 174.-
M12: 174.- (!), next-class M12 rate: 191.- (!)
ONLY Waikoloa, has another promo code:
ZJL: 249.-, including:

300.- USD resort stay (over at least 5 nights, so a 60.- per day discount really, bringing it to 189.- per night)
Daily breakfast for 2 (value... let's say, another 30.- discount per day?)

So it's not like the M12 deal is more expensive for EVERY hotel... just gotta pick the dates and hotel right.

Waikoloa for

4 Nights, 716-50=666 USD + 7160 Marriot Points + 10000 United miles, if I value miles at 0.02 and points at 0.01 (personal estimate), then that's another 272.- in savings, bringing it to 394.- for 4 nights (so, 99.- per night)

or 5 nights, 895-50=845 USD + 8950 points + 15000 miles, for 390.- in savings and 455 for 5 nights. (so, 91 per night)

For Tuscany, given that M12 IS legal for just 1 night stays, you get

Cheapest rate: 104.- Euro
M12: 110.50 Euro

Includes:

15% discount (from 130.- Euro, still above cheapest rate but w/e,the points are worth more than 6 dollars)
2000 bonus marriot points
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mhmmm I have another question.

Some promos say "5th night free adjusted at checkout".

Does that mean I'll have to pay it and get a refund, I won't have to pay it and it's not reflected in the price on marriott.com, OR is it included as an average-price-reduction on marriott.com already?

(not talking about the 5th night free for award stays, just regular stays)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Mhmmm I have another question.

Some promos say "5th night free adjusted at checkout".

Does that mean I'll have to pay it and get a refund, I won't have to pay it and it's not reflected in the price on marriott.com, OR is it included as an average-price-reduction on marriott.com already?

(not talking about the 5th night free for award stays, just regular stays)
You should see the price you are going to pay at check-out. Once I bought a package with 3 nights for the price of 2, and I saw 99 per night at the check-out page, then I thought they will adjust the price at check-out. The wording was confusing that the 99 was after the 3 for 2. Just beware and if you are in doubt, call Marriott to verify before booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.