Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Aruba

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2004, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by East Coaster
Any chance of upgrades? Is there a Club Level? Any good benefits?
Which property? I stated once at the Renaissance as a Platinum but did not get an ugrade. The private island all but made up for it, though.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
There is no club level at any of marriott's resorts, AFAIK. I know there is not one at the Aruba Marriott - I've stayed there many times.

Yes, you usually get a room upgrade, but only if available. Best rooms are the end rooms (ocean front), and I was upgraded to one last time I was there because I was there only one night just before a week stay in the adjoining Beach Club.

One of my favorite Marriotts. You will enjoy it. The "simply fish" resturant is great - but try going out a few nights - Le Petit Cafe (either location - but I like downtown better), Le Dome (pricey), Madame Jannette (my favorite - try the lobster thermador) and the old Texas De Brazil (everyone will know the new name of the old resturant - I just can't remember it)

Billy
Old Jun 23, 2004, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I stayed at the Renaissance and we loved it. Palm Beach (marriott) is way too crowded. Both towers of the Renaissance are great, but it depends on what you are looking for. Look at Aruba.com and the message boards for tons of info and the restraunt recommendations. (Amazonia is awesome)

The Renaissance upgraded me to the top floor, on the inside of the "L", which gives you a great ocean view. They are all suites so the room itself is the same in each one, except for the end units, which I have heard are all time shares.

The marina tower has a fabulous pool and bar (good tapas). That is where the spa is as well.

Enjoy and bon bini!
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:00 am

JC,

Was your stay at the Renaissance on points or $? I'll be there in a couple weeks and we're extremely excited. I'm just hoping like crazy for an upgrade. I'll be using points and I am platinum. Anyone else have an upgrade experience there on a reward stay?
Old Jun 24, 2004, 5:13 pm

Renaissance Aruba

[QUOTE=Florida Flyer]JC,

In March '03 my wife and I, along with our two college students stayed at the Renaissance in March '03 using points. My wife and I were given a suite, the two offspring an upgraded double.

Each room had been set up with a litre bottle of good Spanish wine, along with a full round of gouda cheese and crackers. This certainly helped to compensate for the absence of a lounge, although we didn't expect one at a resort. This place is fun, given the unique beach set up. It was also nice to be able to walk out of the lobby and have your choice of dining, in terms of price, atmosphere and cuisine, without needing a taxi.

One word of caution; the hotel tried to levy a "resort charge" of US$20.00, per room per night. This was not disclosed on Marriott's web site, at the time we made the reservations. We received full credits, but they weren't offered cheerfully or without much effort on my part to have this adjusted.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:48 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have stayed at the Aruba Marriott twice. Once paid and once on rewards. You can ask for an upgrade but don't expect it anytime from Nov - Feb. A large number of Platinums use this hotel for rewards. I was upgraded on the award stay but not on the paid stay (Go Figure). The hotel is wonderful. If you get a 7th floor oceanview room, the view is amazing. Very Large rooms with a nice balcony on almost every room.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Florida Flyer,

There really are no upgrades at this hotel. As I mentioned, all units are essentially the same. You should, however, ask for an upper floor on the beach-side so you get a better view. Otherwise, you look out onto a parking lot (bad) and Oranjestad (not as bad, but can be noisy). The patios are nice to hang out on.

There are several shops and restraunts within a stones throw from the resort, but nothing too spectacular. Kind of touristy.

Be sure to go up to palm beach for dinner a few times. Aqua is fantastic, and Amazonia will make you think you will never have to eat again.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 7:53 pm

Aruba - Any recent stay info ?

I am looking at going on vacation with my wife and two kids ( 7 & 10 ) and was looking for any recent stay info at either the ren or the marriott stellaris in Aruba ?

Are they both on the beach ?
What are the Pools like ?
Are the hotels and area around the hotels kid friendly ?

Which would be a better choice with kids ?

I did a search and did not come up with much recent feedback

Thanks
Old Aug 2, 2004, 8:20 pm

We stayed at the Renaissance about 2 years ago. They have a marina tower, which is in the city about 1 block from the ocean and a beach tower which is on the ocean, also in the city. The marina tower would not be good for children, in my opinion. The beach tower would be okay. Both have access to a great private island which we really enjoyed. They motor boat you out to the island and my wife and I liked it. Good place for kids, also, if they want to enjoy the beach.

I have not stayed at the Marriott hotel but I would imagine it would be better for kids. It is on the beach and is located in more of a vacation area for families.

Al Hanna
[email protected]
Old Aug 2, 2004, 8:41 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have stayed at both hotels multiple times and would definately recommend the Aruba Marriott. The rooms are oversized and the balconies are great. The Marriott has a great pool and is always crowed with families. The beach though small has huts for renting as well as a nice restaurant for lunch. The Marriott also has a kids program during the high season which has events for kids of various ages.

The main advantage for the Renaissance is that the Beach tower rooms have a small kitchen with a good size fridge, oven and stove top. I find the private island a pain to get to as well as the few topless woman on the beach.

RJS
Old Aug 2, 2004, 10:26 pm

Check out aruba.com for some good info in their forums. I stayed at the renaissance and loved it. It is in town, but can be more private than the big beach at the marriott way up north. I understand the huts and chairs up there are a pain to get unless you are out there at 7am.

The renaissance has the nice island which is perfect for kids...they cant get too far! There are flamingos and iguanas everywhere.

Be sure to go to Amazonia and bring your best appetite. Also, El Gaucho in town is a good carnivore place. We really liked Aqua grill, but the prices make it a perfect place for a night out with Mrs. [email protected].

Old Aug 3, 2004, 7:48 pm

Programs: US 3
The Marriott is great. Big, clean, nice rooms. Nice balcony. Decent service. Nice pool. Nice beach. A very comfortable and pleasant hotel.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 11:20 am

I stayed at the Renaissance Marina tower for a week last month. I loved it, but this was just my wife and I. No kids. I think the Ocean Tower at the Ren would be better with kids, as others have mentioned. In either case, the two are located about a five minute walk from each other and you have access to all the facilities.

My one point of contention with the Marina tower was that the rooms were quite small, but I really loved the Renaissance. It felt very neopolitan, if you know what I mean. I like the fact that it felt small, as opposed to the monstrosity that is the Marriott on the other end of the island. (The Marriott shares space with two Marriott Vac. Club properties and is quite crowded. I stopped by there during our visit. Also met a fellow platinum member while sightseeing who echoed this sentiment). And the Renaissance is downtown, in close proximity to shopping and restaurants, thus you don't necessarily need a car. Seems to me the Marriott is sort of in the middle of nowhere.

The private island was worth it to me. As opposed to the above poster who said the boat ride was inconvenient, I found it quite fun to take a speedboat ride twice a day. And the beach at the island is very secluded, with a ton of shade trees, thus eliminating the need for huts, etc. This was a big, big plus. Of course, there's also a decent beach located at the Ocean Tower as well, if you're not up for the boat ride on a given day.

One other thing, there are about a dozen or so eateries -- some upscale, some coffeeshops, and everything in between -- located at either tower where you can bill stuff to your room. Most are pretty good, and heck, it's more Marriott points!
Old Aug 4, 2004, 5:04 pm

Programs: US 3
Seems to me the Marriott is sort of in the middle of nowhere.
That's true. If you're interested in nightlife, you'll have to take either the buse or a tai to downtown.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Global Services - 1 MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Platinum
Aruba - hints for getting a room

Any hints for getting a Marriott rewards room in Aruba - late Febuary to early March. Looks like the whole island is booked up.

No availibility is the reason that I have switched to being just a *wood point whore.

Last edited by oag123; Jan 7, 2005 at 3:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.