Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Residence Inn Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Residence Inn Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jondabomb
For any of you who have stayed at this property, is it possible to have three people stay in 1 room?
Im unclear from their website, what type of room it is. I guess I wonder if they can bring in a cot or the sofa turns into a bed.
Thanks
I don't think it would be a problem. Their 1BRs have a queen sized bed in the bedroom and a full-sized sofa bed in the living room.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:45 am

we stayed here last August (2013). There were 3 people (2adults 1 child). The couch does not fold out, its more of the modern style, but it worked fine for my 3 year old.

HEAT: It was only 50º outside in August, very cold. HOWEVER, our room on the 5th floor was STIFLING. The window barely cracks open, and the fan cords are too short to allow you to drag it close enough to the window to bring in a little more air. I cannot imagine how how those rooms must be when it's actually warm outside. There is absolutely no circulation in the hotels, the hallways are hot, the rooms are hot, it' s like they completely forgot about ventilation. It was a very nice hotel, but the heat issue was almost unbearable. I would never stay here again unless I was on one of the first two floors.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Agreed on the temp - in a lot of the rooms you can slide open the balconette thing but sometimes it's locked and you have to fiddle the handle.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Heat is greatly treasured up here - we don't get much of it.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by smmangel
we stayed here last August (2013). There were 3 people (2adults 1 child). The couch does not fold out, its more of the modern style, but it worked fine for my 3 year old.

HEAT: It was only 50º outside in August, very cold. HOWEVER, our room on the 5th floor was STIFLING. The window barely cracks open, and the fan cords are too short to allow you to drag it close enough to the window to bring in a little more air. I cannot imagine how how those rooms must be when it's actually warm outside. There is absolutely no circulation in the hotels, the hallways are hot, the rooms are hot, it' s like they completely forgot about ventilation. It was a very nice hotel, but the heat issue was almost unbearable. I would never stay here again unless I was on one of the first two floors.
Ditto that. I stayed at this hotel last July when it was 70F outside, and sleeping in a room on the 5th floor was very difficult. I was quite surprised the hotel didn't have air con as it's Marriott - even though it seems it would rarely be needed, when the sun shines in the rooms are like ovens!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I am currently enjoying my first stay at this hotel, and cannot praise it highly enough. We have just been to the Manager's reception - first drink comped thank to gold status, very nice soup, salad, Cumberland sausage and mash followed by chocolate brownie and (much more importantly) several members of management circulating and getting feedback on the hotel from the guests.^^ Full marks!

The hotel itself is a little out of the city centre but not very far - it is in the up and coming Quartermile area which is still subject to some building work but is in the University area and very pleasant.

When we checked in I was told we had been upgraded and I asked if we could have a room with a bath - apparently there are only half a dozen baths in the whole hotel, and we finished up in a lovely two room suite with a balcony on the seventh floor of seven. Very clean and all the usual RI amenities (except thermostat - as mentioned in previous posts )

Breakfast was as good as any I have had in a RI - staff were excellent at restocking and clearing - very good fruit, cereal, cooked hot food, cold meat and pastry selection.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel and, barring an disasters before we check out tomorrow with post good reviews on other sites.

Nick
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:21 am

Thanks for the update. Is the manager's reception a weekly thing?

Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:10 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I'm not sure Sharon - adverts for it were all round the hotel when we checked in on the Monday and we were given tickets / vouchers for it at check in - my guess is probably yes but i will see if i can find out. We have checked out now.

Nick
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Currently at the RI Edinburgh. Generally nice hotel, but without Air Conditioning the rooms are very hot. Had trouble sleeping at night. The one small window only opens a little bit, and while it cooled down at night, the room was still warm.

The property is only 3 years old and the adjacent office building (owned by the same people) has AC.

For location, my preference would be the Glasshouse but it was not available at any rate.

Free washer and dryer at the RI - but it seems to be busy all the time.

Large room if you get the room with two doubles.

Also - they no longer do manager's night reception. While the property is only 3 years old it is starting to show some wear.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:04 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jondabomb
For any of you who have stayed at this property, is it possible to have three people stay in 1 room?
Im unclear from their website, what type of room it is. I guess I wonder if they can bring in a cot or the sofa turns into a bed.
Thanks
The large room with 2 full double beds would work for 3. Couch isn't long enough for an adult.

I recommend the hotel, except I do not recommend it in the summer. Now early Sept, and it is in the mid-70s and very sunny. Just way to warm in the room and no air circulation other than the table fan. So unless you are comfortable in an 80 degree plus room at night - don't stay here in the summer.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by cova
The large room with 2 full double beds would work for 3. Couch isn't long enough for an adult.

I recommend the hotel, except I do not recommend it in the summer. Now early Sept, and it is in the mid-70s and very sunny. Just way to warm in the room and no air circulation other than the table fan. So unless you are comfortable in an 80 degree plus room at night - don't stay here in the summer.
No air-conditioning system? Are you serious?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by cova
Currently at the RI Edinburgh. Generally nice hotel, but without Air Conditioning the rooms are very hot. Had trouble sleeping at night. The one small window only opens a little bit, and while it cooled down at night, the room was still warm..
See if you can switch to a lower floor. Reports are they're more pleasant temp wise (and aren't noisy).

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Yes. Read the thread. It's not very long

Cheers.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
In the same way that our airports don't invest in snowploughs for the one time (or less) a year they are needed, so most hotels don't invest in A/C units for the week or two of summer that we get. But when you need them, boy do you need them.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by nobbyclark
In the same way that our airports don't invest in snowploughs for the one time (or less) a year they are needed, so most hotels don't invest in A/C units for the week or two of summer that we get. But when you need them, boy do you need them.
That about sums it up!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.