Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Melbourne Downtown

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
as the OP, fdguy, has stated in his responses - upgrades are provided to elites when requested (albeit his experience seems to be limited to CONUS)...... as a plat you have the right and ability to request as well as complain if your earned and due benefits are not received

Originally Posted by Flyer888
I guess my profile has been marked: wall-facing room OK - non complainer.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Platcomike
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post
I am staying here at the moment and am just about overwhelmed with the service... Got a box of really nice chocolates on arrival.. [...]
Oh and I am only a gold!! Very nice!

Was this your fifth, or tenth, visit to the hotel? I received a really nice assortment of chocolates on my "anniversary" visits a few years ago. It is one of those things that stay in your memory and recommend the hotel to your associates.

Great place. So many restaurants nearby, so little time!
... and an expanding waistline!

This is a long stay (12 nights..) perhaps that has something to do with it..

I'm on the Exec floor, reasonable view (similar to that from the lounge)
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:01 am

Staying here as a gold in a couple of weeks. I thought Golds automatically got CL/EL access, so is a request really necessary?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by joetro
Staying here as a gold in a couple of weeks. I thought Golds automatically got CL/EL access, so is a request really necessary?
The thread is outdated, but I think the request you're referring to was for a room upgrade. Gold/Plats do get lounge access w/o having to request it.

* Melbourne / Marriott / OPEN; Closed some public & school holidays; i-net terminals & free wifi; 05/14 update

Cheers.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:29 am

Thanks, Sharon. I must have mis-read the earlier postings. I will report back after my stay!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Second time here.. 9 night trip.. Champas at reception on check in. Chocolates.

They noticed me chatting with my sister and my 9 month old niece (the first time I have met her.. amazing event).. I get back from lunch and there is a touching letter wishing me a good stay and a great catch up with my family (Actually a business trip) and a bottle of red..

Now at the CL where food choices are extensive and wine is free, good and plentiful.

The Vienna Ren may beat it by a bit for class but IMHO this is the BEST property I have been to for service.. Just really touched.. and I am now a mere gold!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Anyone know what the extra person policy is here? I reserved an award room, and it only requests # Guests/room. I have 2 adults and 2 kids, so I put in 4. I can get a room with 2 double beds, but it tells me it's an extra AU$120/night for "Extra adult charge (children may be exempted) ". So I "may" have to pay hundreds of dollars more than planned. I would like some certainty, with SPG as an option.

Anyone know how this works?

(yes, I've sent a note to CS)

UPDATE, for future reference. CS says they updated the number of guests to 2, and added a note that 2 children will be staying with the 2 adults. I guess kids aren't consiuered "guests". They really should update it to the number of Adults and Children, as other chains do.

Last edited by CPRich; Aug 25, 2015 at 7:36 pm
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just to echo [B]cyclogenesis[B], having just stayed here for 5 nights the service has been great. Pretty much on a par with the JW Marriott KL, which was also great. Good location in Melbourne too.

T
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
When we stayed in 2013 the hosts in the executive lounge (particularly the evening one) were the best I've ever experienced at a Marriott property. Treated you like a long standing customer even though it was our first stay. Can't wait to get back there next year.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:00 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Wow, this thread has me ready to change my booking for this upcoming December. Right now I've reserved the Grand Hyatt, but it sounds as though it's worth switching over to the Marriott.

Any recent experiences showing negative changes to the property?

Thx,
CLG
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CLG
Wow, this thread has me ready to change my booking for this upcoming December. Right now I've reserved the Grand Hyatt, but it sounds as though it's worth switching over to the Marriott.

Any recent experiences showing negative changes to the property?

Thx,
CLG
It was really good 3 weeks ago! Admittedly I'm a PP, so got a nice suite etc, but the staff service was great to everyone.

T
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:08 am
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
I had a good stay there a couple months ago.

Do note that you cannot reserve a room with two beds online. You must call the hotel directly. I booked the rate online and then called their office to confirm the room type.

When they upgraded the room to the CL what was displayed on marriott.com went back to 1 bed. I panicked a bit and called again and they assured me that they actually had reserved a room with 2 beds. It all worked out with no issues when we got there.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:32 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by FOH
I had a good stay there a couple months ago.

Do note that you cannot reserve a room with two beds online. You must call the hotel directly. I booked the rate online and then called their office to confirm the room type.

When they upgraded the room to the CL what was displayed on marriott.com went back to 1 bed. I panicked a bit and called again and they assured me that they actually had reserved a room with 2 beds. It all worked out with no issues when we got there.
Excellent info, thanks! I'm going to be there with my dad, so unless they have a machine that turns the clock back 30 years, I'll need 2 beds!

I'm a Plat and traveling the week between Christmas & New Years, so should I mentally prepare myself for zero % chance of a suite upgrade?

CLG
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Looks like Melbourne is going to get a second Marriott (although it sounds like it might be a couple years from now):

"Melbourne’s (Australia) Docklands precinct will play home to the first new-build Australian Marriott hotel in almost 20 years with the five-star Marriott Melbourne Docklands property firmly on the horizon. Part of a $250 million development project and subject to planning approvals, the hotel will reside on Waterfront Way atop the existing Harbour Town shopping centre and Waterfront City, complete with a rooftop infinity pool plus bar and dining areas open to the public. Roughly 200 rooms are earmarked for the Docklands hotel in addition to 260 residential apartments spanning 36 levels"

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.