Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Plat/Plat Prem: Post, Compare and Optimize MegaBonus Offers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plat/Plat Prem: Post, Compare and Optimize MegaBonus Offers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: LH FTL, CNTL GLD, TK Elite, MR-Pltm, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Actually it works very nicely.

A number here are doing just that. I have quite a few nights racked up for my Megabonus doing just this at the CY I've been staying at. Breakfast is included in my rate, but I charge the tip to the room. Then when I check out, I ask that the room rate and taxes be charged to my Corp. AmEx. Then I ask them to close out whats left with my personal Visa card. ^
Ya i think i need to try that too. I dont carry my Visa around anymore though. Any chance the hotel would accept the numbers, name, CVV code in person as opposed to a swipe? I can get someone at home to read those for me?

still a bit surprised, but happy, this works. ^
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, CO Plat, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by swy000
Ya i think i need to try that too. I dont carry my Visa around anymore though. Any chance the hotel would accept the numbers, name, CVV code in person as opposed to a swipe? I can get someone at home to read those for me?

still a bit surprised, but happy, this works. ^
I tried it this week. Booked a soda to the VISA and everything else to the AMEX. When I look at my promotions, isn't doesn't show progress. Have the nights started posting for others?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by slim26
I tried it this week. Booked a soda to the VISA and everything else to the AMEX. When I look at my promotions, isn't doesn't show progress. Have the nights started posting for others?
My stay is 15 day stay so I have 7 days to go. I can't tell you. Maybe someone else here can answer.
But to answer my question above, yes, the hotel would let you use a card if you fill out the 3rd party CC authorization form.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:56 am

I'm assuming they didn't post b/c I didn't check in with the VISA. So I guess I need to book and check in with VISA then move everything but the soda to the AMEX ... not the other way around as I did it.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:49 am

Actually it works very nicely.

A number here are doing just that. I have quite a few nights racked up for my Megabonus doing just this at the CY I've been staying at. Breakfast is included in my rate, but I charge the tip to the room. Then when I check out, I ask that the room rate and taxes be charged to my Corp. AmEx. Then I ask them to close out whats left with my personal Visa card. ^
Originally Posted by slim26
I'm assuming they didn't post b/c I didn't check in with the VISA. So I guess I need to book and check in with VISA then move everything but the soda to the AMEX ... not the other way around as I did it.
Looking at the response by hhoope01, it doesnt sound like you have to check-in with the VISA, but maybe im misreading it. From your post, it seems like you checked out thursday or Friday or last week and it wouldnt be enough time for the nights to post. Give it 2-3 business days and let us know.

I'm going to check out on Oct 9 and try it as well.

@hhoope01 - can you let us know if you checked in with a VISA or your corp? (i wonder if that's changeable to after checkin)
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:56 pm

I'll let everyone know. I checked out Thursday. The nights and points did post. But nothing for the promotion tracker .. in fact, I don't even see the promotion tracker (probably because I don't have any nights against the promotion). Usually I've seen the nights post to the account and the promotion at the same time, which is why I assume it didn't work.

FYI - this was at CY in Miami (Dolphin Mall).
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:19 am

So I'm currently registered with the free cat4 night every two stays (two free certs max). I've booked 16 nights for this month and am considering switching to the 50k points for 25 stays, but I'm not positive I'll make it to 25 yet. Can I wait until the promotion is near-over, and then switch? I've seen reports of switching near the end, but in the other direction (from points to 2 free nights). My concern is that if they award me the 2 free nights after my 4 stays, they won't be able to take those back and switch my promotion to the points toward the end of the program. Any opinions on this?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by NiVRaM
So I'm currently registered with the free cat4 night every two stays (two free certs max). I've booked 16 nights for this month and am considering switching to the 50k points for 25 stays, but I'm not positive I'll make it to 25 yet. Can I wait until the promotion is near-over, and then switch? I've seen reports of switching near the end, but in the other direction (from points to 2 free nights). My concern is that if they award me the 2 free nights after my 4 stays, they won't be able to take those back and switch my promotion to the points toward the end of the program. Any opinions on this?
I would call CS and see what they say. They may tell you that the free certs are not credited until the end of the promo in which case you will be fine.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:46 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I have been concerned about that too. I am in a similar situation, I was offered 2 free nights, called CS and told them I wanted 50K points.
Since then both free nights posted to my account, I am not using them because I dont want MR to deny my 50K points later. Tonight will make night #21 so hopefully I will find out soon.

Do the promo points post only after the promotional period, or after you finish the challenge?

Originally Posted by NiVRaM
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:21 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swy000
@hhoope01 - can you let us know if you checked in with a VISA or your corp? (i wonder if that's changeable to after checkin)
I do believe I checked in with my Corp AmEx. But I made sure to make sure the front desk agent that checked me out, paid did NOT close my account with that card. I specificially asked them to pay the daily room rate and taxes to the AmEx, but do not close the account. I then gave him my Marriott Visa and asked him to charge the leftover charges to it and to close out the account with that card.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 4:36 pm

I do believe I checked in with my Corp AmEx. But I made sure to make sure the front desk agent that checked me out, paid did NOT close my account with that card. I specificially asked them to pay the daily room rate and taxes to the AmEx, but do not close the account. I then gave him my Marriott Visa and asked him to charge the leftover charges to it and to close out the account with that card.
I never got credit for it... so I guess thats what you need to do. Thats a little too much work and hassle for me and for me to want to have the CR do every week for 40,000 points. oh well.. I'll get the next one when the stupid VISA is not required.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:25 pm

I am new to collecting points (have been collecting miles till now), so please be patient with me

For the megabonus promotion, I will be emailing tomorrow to change over to 25nights/50,000 promo. In this case, are all nights counted? or only the one's where MR visa was used to check-out are counted?
The details of the promo only state that payment must be done with your Visa, but do not mention anything about MR Visa. So will any Visa work?

Also, is there any promo >25nights, like 60nights or something?

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:01 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by harry131
I am new to collecting points (have been collecting miles till now), so please be patient with me

For the megabonus promotion, I will be emailing tomorrow to change over to 25nights/50,000 promo. In this case, are all nights counted? or only the one's where MR visa was used to check-out are counted?
The details of the promo only state that payment must be done with your Visa, but do not mention anything about MR Visa. So will any Visa work?

Also, is there any promo >25nights, like 60nights or something?

Thanks
Any Visa will do.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:30 pm

Another question..
If I am staying at the hotel for many weeks, and the hotel charges weekly- then in this case do i need to do this buy a snack/coke and close with visa thing every week or is it only important to do it at the end of the stay?

Thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by harry131
Another question..
If I am staying at the hotel for many weeks, and the hotel charges weekly- then in this case do i need to do this buy a snack/coke and close with visa thing every week or is it only important to do it at the end of the stay?

Thanks.
If you want the Visa promo, pay for your stay with a Visa. Otherwise you cannot count on getting it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.