Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

How many people allowed in a room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum or Gold, Hertz #1 Gold

I have what's probably a simple question, but this is brand new for me.

My wife and I had our third child this summer. We've had one trip together since then, but left the two older kids (6 and 4) at home, so having three in a room was not a problem.

My question is how does Marriott view having 5 in a room? I'm booking a vacation for next Thanksgiving (still debating between Marco Island and Harbor Beach Resort in FLL) and want to get a room with two beds plus a crib. Is this possible? Otherwise, I'm limited to getting separate rooms where the wife and I each have a kid or two, or I'll have to rent a Vacation property where I can get more people in.

On Marriott, it pretty clearly will not allow 5 people in one room, but this seems "different"? .

So you folks who have done this before, how have you done it? Do you let them know? Just say fewer kids and also ask for a crib or what?

Thanks for the insights!!
Old Dec 12, 2008, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I think I'd just tell them 2 adults in the room and leave it at that. Marriott asks for "guests/room" which I interpret as adults per room.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 1:08 pm

As far as I know, the occupancy policy is determined by the Marriott Hotels individually. Some allow a maximum of 2 children others allow more. Best and safest way to get a reliable answer is to contact the specific Hotel you plan to stay with directly.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I think I'd just tell them 2 adults in the room and leave it at that. Marriott asks for "guests/room" which I interpret as adults per room.
If that were the case, wouldn't there be an extra field in the reservation mask to fill in the number of children as well?

However you may interpret "Guests/Room", in the end only one interpretation counts: That of the Hotel.

Last edited by Yush; Dec 12, 2008 at 1:41 pm
Old Dec 12, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 2.2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Exec, Hertz President's Club, Starwood Gold
One issue to consider with 5 in the room is that at some resort hotels they issue "towel cards" when you check into the hotel. You get one per person in the room (sometimes you can get two per person), which you then trade for a towel. At the end of your stay you are supposed to return all the cards / towels or you will be charged (up to $25) per towel.

This could be an issue if you have more than four in room at a resort.

Personally I have not had a problem with this, and you'll probably get away with it, but you should at least be aware.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
I would agree that this depends on individual hotel policy. I have generally found US hotels to be less restrictive than those in Europe, where the rooms are often smaller. I seem to recall in Italy, they cite the fire code restrictions, which limit the number of "people" staying in the room, not just adults, and they strictly enforce the limits.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
In some states (and i think FLA is one of them...) it is LOCAL FIRE CODE that dictates the max # of people per room.....now with a baby in a crib, you SHOULD be OK....as long as you only need 2 beds and a crib. there are several properties that will not permit rollaways in rooms with 2 beds, and IIRC this was the case in Fla, or at least portions thereof!

HTH!
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:19 pm

We've traveled with 3 kids for 14 years now and I've never once been questioned by any employee of any hotel about the # of kids in the room. Never seen a towel card either. The most I've seen (usually in Hawaii) was a wristband for the pool slide, which was usually more to keep non-guests out. Those were always obtained poolside by simply giving our room number.

As far as your comfort, I would call the hotels you are interested in and ask what their policy is regarding having 2 beds and a crib or rollaway in the room. If you are traveling with your own 'pack-n'-play' type crib you will probably be fine. But for your own peace of mind you might want to call ahead and confirm.

Usually when you pull up Marriott rate rules, they will specify a maximum # of persons allowed in the room. Also, the room description will usually say "1 King or 2 Queens; rollaway available" or some similar wording.

Some island areas DO have fire codes that prohibit more than 4 in a room; I believe that may be the case in the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, perhaps Aruba and it may be in Cancun as well. But honestly, the hotel employees usually could not care less about how many people are in your room (as long as it's not crazy spring breakers and such), so it's up to you whether you feel comfortable violating a local code if there is one.

Especially when your kids are little (and certainly with a child under 2) you should have little or no problems staying in one room. You'll have less problems as they get bigger if two of them don't mind sharing a bed.
The real issue comes when they are all teenagers and 'need their space'

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by flyerwife
We've traveled with 3 kids for 14 years now and I've never once been questioned by any employee of any hotel about the # of kids in the room. Never seen a towel card either. The most I've seen (usually in Hawaii) was a wristband for the pool slide, which was usually more to keep non-guests out. Those were always obtained poolside by simply giving our room number.

As far as your comfort, I would call the hotels you are interested in and ask what their policy is regarding having 2 beds and a crib or rollaway in the room. If you are traveling with your own 'pack-n'-play' type crib you will probably be fine. But for your own peace of mind you might want to call ahead and confirm.

Usually when you pull up Marriott rate rules, they will specify a maximum # of persons allowed in the room. Also, the room description will usually say "1 King or 2 Queens; rollaway available" or some similar wording.

Some island areas DO have fire codes that prohibit more than 4 in a room; I believe that may be the case in the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, perhaps Aruba and it may be in Cancun as well. But honestly, the hotel employees usually could not care less about how many people are in your room (as long as it's not crazy spring breakers and such), so it's up to you whether you feel comfortable violating a local code if there is one.

Especially when your kids are little (and certainly with a child under 2) you should have little or no problems staying in one room. You'll have less problems as they get bigger if two of them don't mind sharing a bed.
The real issue comes when they are all teenagers and 'need their space'

Hope that helps.
+1. I don't think Marriott is into the active policing of guest numbers in rooms to the extent that other chains or independents might be.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by megtravels
In some states (and i think FLA is one of them...) it is LOCAL FIRE CODE that dictates the max # of people per room.....now with a baby in a crib, you SHOULD be OK....as long as you only need 2 beds and a crib. there are several properties that will not permit rollaways in rooms with 2 beds, and IIRC this was the case in Fla, or at least portions thereof! HTH!
This is correct.

However, there are some properties that explicitly allow 5 people (no matter their ages) in a room. I currently have a booking for 5 at the Springhill Suites Ft. Lauderdale. The SS chain has 2 double beds and a sofa bed in a separate area so you may want to consider them although I agree that a Vacation Club will be perfect for your needs.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
When I made award reservations last week, there was a "room details" link that showed maximum occupancy - usually 4 or 5. It also identified how many rollaways (one) or cribs (one). This applied to Marriotts, Fairfields and Residence Inns; I did not look at other properties.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum or Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Thanks for the input everyone. I believe I will not worry about it. I'll be booking two beds and a crib and for all anyone knows, there could be just one kid in the second bed. Safe travels!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Originally Posted by frisbeeace
This is correct.

However, there are some properties that explicitly allow 5 people (no matter their ages) in a room. I currently have a booking for 5 at the Springhill Suites Ft. Lauderdale. The SS chain has 2 double beds and a sofa bed in a separate area so you may want to consider them although I agree that a Vacation Club will be perfect for your needs.
Agreed....but these days, you just never know when the occupancy police are going to show up!

MN---have a great time!!!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

So a follow up question.

I am unable to reserve anything (cash, points, trade for children, etc) a room at Harbor Beach Resort the week of Thanksgiving. I figured maybe they don't book ahead as far as basically every other Marriott hotel. I called to ask why I couldn't book a room there for TG. The hotel reservations agent said she wasn't sure. They showed availability through December 5, but maybe they hadn't decided on rates yet. I pointed out that every other Marriott I've looked at is able to determine what price they want to charge for that week. She had no idea. Does anyone know why a hotel would not show availability? I'm just confused, and hoping I can book this at a "standard" rate prior to January 15th. Marco Island is always double the points, so if we do decide to go there, I can book that after the "enhancements". Which, in this case, actually would be an enhancement.

Now I'm rambling.

MN Traveling Man
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by MN Traveling Man
So a follow up question.
...Does anyone know why a hotel would not show availability?
I think the JW Orlando sometimes does this as well (holds off on availability; not the standard 50 weeks out).

I would make an alternate reservation elsewhere and keep checking Harbor Beach every couple of days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.