Room Upgrade for Gold level rewards members

Subscribe
Hi all,
I've recently reached gold level in the Marriott Rewards program and I notice that "Room Upgrade" is listed as one of the benefits. There is not much detail on this on the website as far as I can see. I am curious as to how often this happens and how many "steps" you get upgraded.

My next stay is the Orlando World Center during a busy time in May if that affects things.

Thanks in advance
Congrats on reaching GOLD. You will see a difference between Gold and Silver for certain.

Scroll down and find this thread within this forum:

Elite members benefits
bwiadca started Apr 3, 08

Ignoring the complaints about quantity of food, there are some good posts in the thread that will help you.

I find that in the huge resorts, it is harder to score a BIG upgrade, as there are so many gold and plats there to begin with - - - - but I would love to be proven wrong!
I have yet to score a room upgrade at a Ren, JW, or FS Marriott as a 3 year PLT on paid stays. BUT, CY and lower will hook you up. Now, on MR stays, I get upgraded all the time.......
I do have to throw a disclaimer that I am required to book discounted rates for work travel so that may be a reason why I get the broom closet week in and week and out.....YMMV but my standards are low when it comes to room upgrades, it just doesn't happen for me. I am heading to SFO today for a 3 night stay so I will see if I get upgraded on a paid stay tonight......doubt it though.
Thanks both. Do I need to have my MR number attached to the booking in advance or is showing the card on arrival enough? Does either approach affect how likely an upgrade is?
Quote: My next stay is the Orlando World Center during a busy time in May if that affects things.
This may very well be the key piece of information. Upgrades are based on availability and if the hotel is full, there probably won't be much availability. Also, as a Gold, you will probably be behind all the Plats that are there wanting upgrades as well. I have been fairly lucky in at least getting a room facing the parks. Depending on the room location, you can get a nice view of some Disney fireworks in the evenings. ^
Quote: Thanks both. Do I need to have my MR number attached to the booking in advance or is showing the card on arrival enough? Does either approach affect how likely an upgrade is?
Rooms are assigned in advance (for the most part) so you always want to insure that your number is attached to the booking. It does not hurt to ask nicely at ch/in too - as in "was an upgrade available with my reservation?"

A FYI note re upgrades - in a "resort" or big city property - upgrades often consist of larger rooms, rooms copnsidered to have a "view" (such as hhoope1 mentions below) or additional/increased amenities. (supply of bottled water, etc).

I am at a property now where the "upgrade" was not a suite - but a huge corner room with 2 walls of windows overlooking a river. IMO, far nicer than a suite .

You will often have more success gaining this type of upgrade than a "suite" - and if you are going to Disney with the kids; a view of the fireworks with no crowds may be the best upgrade imaginable!
Thanks sophiegirl, very useful
Orlando World Center is generous to platinum members with upgrades. I am not so sure about gold members, but I know from personal experience that upgrades are much harder to get if the hotel is sold out due to convention business. On my last stay, I was told that they sold out all the suites.
FWIW, I stayed here in November, it was a pretty quiet time and I was plat then. I got an upgraded room with a view. I don't think there is any chance of a suite.

But if you're not there for a conference, you probably won't see much of the room

oh and Sophie you crazy woman, get off here and enjoy your break..

Quote: Rooms are assigned in advance (for the most part) so you always want to insure that your number is attached to the booking. It does not hurt to ask nicely at ch/in too - as in "was an upgrade available with my reservation?"

A FYI note re upgrades - in a "resort" or big city property - upgrades often consist of larger rooms, rooms copnsidered to have a "view" (such as hhoope1 mentions below) or additional/increased amenities. (supply of bottled water, etc).

I am at a property now where the "upgrade" was not a suite - but a huge corner room with 2 walls of windows overlooking a river. IMO, far nicer than a suite .

You will often have more success gaining this type of upgrade than a "suite" - and if you are going to Disney with the kids; a view of the fireworks with no crowds may be the best upgrade imaginable!
so does anyone have a report from a recent experience. Wife and I will be attending a nursing conference in June (who in the world planned that!!!)

This will definitely be my first trip to a FS property as a platinum. Hoping to get a sneak preview of what to expect.
Quote: This will definitely be my first trip to a FS property as a platinum. Hoping to get a sneak preview of what to expect.
Quite seriously, it depends on the situation and the terrain. Or, put another way, it depends on the property and what's available.

Some properties (I'm thinking of one in Munich) tend to upgrade Golds and Plats to suites for weekend stays, because they are mainly a business hotel and have lots of inventory on the average weekend; however, when they have groups coming through or are otherwise "tight" on inventory, you just get a nicer room.

In your case, it would help to know the name of the property (someone who stayed there recently could provide his/her experience). Also, you mention a conference - if the conference is large and is being held at the property, that could reduce availability of rooms for upgrade.

What I would anticipate is, at minimum, a room on the Concierge level (if they have one) and access to the concierge lounge (free breakfast in the morning and free munchies in the afternoon most places). The rest varies; you could get a suite, or you could simply get a nicer room if one is available.

What I would anticipate is, at minimum, a room on the Concierge level (if they have one) and access to the concierge lounge (free breakfast in the morning and free munchies in the afternoon most places). The rest varies; you could get a suite, or you could simply get a nicer room if one is available.
As a plat, the lounge is in my eyes the biggest perk - often a place of tranquility compared with the lobby or other areas of the hotel.

The other thing to bear in mind is how long you are staying for. Most times I have been upgraded it is when I am staying for 1 or 2 nights, rather than 4 or 5, as the room is less likely to of been booked at some point that week.
good points