Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ghent (Belgium) Marriott [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2007, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium

Just had a spur of the moment 2 day reward stay at this lovely new hotel in Belgium. We walked in without a booking, the front desk arranged a reward certificate and we went up to our absolutely enormous (by North American, not just European standards) beautiful room - a junior suite. Only downside is that the windows don't open.

The rate for that room is normally 349 euros a night so it's understandable that the staff mentioned they don't get a lot of tourists - most of their clientele are business travellers.

Ghent is a lovely small city to spend a few days - there are some incredible medieval buildings, churches, museums, plenty of nice restaurants and pretty good shopping. Just walking around is wonderful. And it's only 30 minutes from Brussels by train - service every half hour.

The hotel, which opened in late March and isn't quite finished (they were putting the gardens in when we were there, some of the signage is incomplete and the restaurant still needs some decoration) is right on the canal and the facade is made up of four 18th - 19th century buildings. But behind the facade is a brand new, very modern building with a five-story atrium - the guestroom corridors run along one side.

The trilingual (English, French, Dutch) staff are all very friendly, helpful and eager but, because they are all new, they aren't entirely sure of some things. For example, my gift card (for parking charges) threw them for a loop but I told them how to process it and we all happily agreed it was a good thing for them to have learned.Parking, by the way, is 15 euros a day.(Several other Ghent hotels don't charge).

There is no concierge lounge (not sure if they're planning to open one) but we were given vouchers for breakfast (very nice buffet) and also for a drink and snack in the lobby bar. Our waiter said this covered anything on the menu so we had hamburgers and made dinner out of it. (I think that we should have been limited to hors s'oevres but again, the waiter is new and trying hard).

The guestrooms have simulated wood floors and the furniture is leather -quite modern. (This is not the Grosvenor!) Our bathroom (on a separate level) was nice, too with a very big tub and plenty of towels. There's a mini-bar we used as a fridge. All very tasteful.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Have a look at the hotel website and you'll get an idea of the place.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta 2.5MM&Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Platinum Emeritus
Thanks for your report on the new Ghent Marriott. Based on your comments, my husband and I just spent a week there (working).

As a platinum premier, at check-in they had already upgraded us to a canal-view, standard size room. We had checked the availability of suites prior to check-in, so we asked if an upgrade to a suite would be possible but were told no. We went back (after shift change) and the front desk manager heard our request and quickly upgraded us to a junior suite. The larger suites actually remained vacant during our stay, but I'm not complaining - the junior suite was quite nice, but maybe not as nice as the 2-level one you described.

In general the staff were OK, but not nearly as friendly or well-trained as those in the two Brussels properties; one exception was a very friendly lady who cleaned our room. The breakfast buffet was quite nice, but very busy on the weekend and the staff couldn't bus the tables quickly enough.

They now provide a coupon for the "tapas of the day" and a drink in the bar as replacement for the executive lounge in the evenings. Our first night there, we were given choice of any glass of wine on the menu, and each got a lovely, well-sized appetizer. The second night the waiter was quite unfriendly, told us we were limited to house wine, and brought microscopic-sized appetizers. After that we didn't use the coupons on our remaining nights.

Overall, we would return; Ghent is a lovely city. However, compared to most of the Marriotts we've stayed in throughout Europe, I would not say this one is outstanding.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 9:50 am

Programs: Plat Royal Ambassador/HH Gold/MR Silver/Meliá MAS/Ivory Flying Blue/Basic Eurobonus/Avis Preferred
Arrived a few days ago at this property and have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Finally Marriott is building contemporary hotels like the Berlin property.

The hotel was easy to find once you exit the motorway follows the signs for the St Michiels Parking. This parking structure is in the same street as the Marriott underground parking ( €15 per day ).

I had a Stay for breakfast and pay with Visa rate ( so I was given €100 Extra Euro's voucher at check out ). Check in was quick and efficient. The Quality king size room was spacious and still smelled new. Room 508 was very quiet by the way because at this time of the year the "Gentse feesten" are in full swing and you do not want to have a waterside room.

The porter/concierge ( do not have a proper concierge I think ) kind of guy was very helpful.

The atrium lobby of the hotel is very light and spacious. All the F&B outlets are positioned here. The stylish Poppi bar/lounge and the Korenhuis restaurant is situated on the waterside side entrance.

Breakfast was served in a conference room ( I think because the hotel was quite busy ) I have to say that breakfast quality is average but then I always compare any breakfasts with the ( German ) InterContinental Hotels breakfasts which are nice indeed. Make sure you order your eggs from your server as the congealed scrambled eggs on the buffet are no good. The bacon was not crispy at all and the bread rolls, danish and cold cuts were all sub par quality. Apart from that it is all OK.

The Korenhuis restaurant is on the waterside so you have a nice view on all the old merchant houses. The food is quite nice and I loved my veal filet.
The waiting staff is a bit distant and still needs training as I saw one of the guests dropping his knife. The waitress picked up a clean knife from the empty table next to this guest. Than she picked up the knife from the floor and put it on the other table again.

The location of the hotel is great. You can easily walk to all the sights.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:47 am

Hello, are there any new experiences at the Marriott in Ghent. I will stay there next month with my Gold status and would be interested if there are still vouchers for the breakfast and how the situation is with the free drink and free snack in the lobby bar - is the service generally worse or depends on the employees of the bar?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Hi SunshineMouse.

I was at the Ghent Marriott last week and had a lovely stay. We were given breakfast, snack and drinks coupons for both nights of our stay although we didn't use the snack ones as we were out most of the time and didn't need them. The service was good and the staff friendly. The location is fantastic.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:19 pm

My partner is currently staying there. He's a PP and scored the presidential suite for his 5-day stay, although he is on a 90 EUR advanced purchase rate and the hotel will be fully booked next Friday and Saturday, as there is a big yearly city street festival going on in Ghent right now. We've been to the hotel a couple of times since it opened last year and it is indeed a great property. Although there is no lounge, status guests always receive coupons for breakfast (also in the weekend) and free drinks and snacks. The location couldn't be better, smack in the old city center.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I've always wanted too go to Ghent - it's paired with Kingston upon Thames.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:17 am

Just back from here. Current offerings as replacement for the executive lounge are free breakfast and free minibar. Don't get too excited about the latter as the minibar content consists of coke (diet + regular), beer, Perrier, still water, Pringles and Snickers. Still useful though. All items are now added to the account but removed on checkout (no coupons etc). Rceived upgrade to canal room.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Just a few updates on Platinum amenities at the hotel. I am there now on a 3 night stay. It is indeed a visually stunning hotel and a great location for the touristy spots in the old city. As Platinum I was upgraded to a Junior suite on the 5th (top) floor. Has lots of light and a view of the castle. LOTS of storage space unlike many Marriotts.

As there is no lounge they currently offer free breakfast vouchers plus if you (contrary to previous posts--this may be a new change as the staff was confused on this issue) are staying up to 5 nights it qualifies you to receive vouchers off the bar menu for 1 snack and 1 small draught beer, soda or glass of house wine per night. (if there are 2 in your party and you ask they will provide vouchers for 2 persons) If you are staying more than 5 nights INSTEAD of the voucher for snack+drink you can have free access to the mini bar in your room (indeed as spartan as previously described). Noone qualifies for both snack+drink and mini bar free access.

After reading about the mini bar amenity on this site I called about 6 weeks ago before making my reservation and confirmed that yes, as platinum I would receive the breakfast vouchers, snack+drink voucher plus access to anything I wanted in the minibar. I called again before my reservation to obtain info on the tram service to the hotel and at the same time again confirmed the three Platinum benefits instead of the lounge. I was told that IF I asked for the mini bar it would be provided. Upon checkin I was given the breakfast and snack/drink vouchers and asked for the mini bar benefit. I was told rather harshly that it was NOT a benefit as I was staying only 3 nights. She (Emily) then explained which length stays qualified for snack/drink voucher and which qualified for minibar.

Technically without a lounge all they are obligated by Marriott to provide is the breakfast voucher, however, I am elaborating in case a flyertalk member reads this post and expects more. I also think the hotel should have one standard consistant answer if someone inquires.

PLATINUM AMENITY
Silver coupon states standard offerings of water(2), soda (2), 1/2 bottle of red or white wine, (1) beer. Upon inquiring though, the wine is in an open carafe not a bottle (so you can't take it with you if you're not in the mood to enjoy it at the hotel) and the beer offering is ONLY stella artois--no fun for someone like myself who LOVES the trappist or even just a dark beer.

food offerings: cheese and crackers (which I ordered and was lovely including a small salad, garnishing of nuts of raisins and several variety of sliced multigrain bread and mini rolls rather than crackers--a real winner.) I have learned not to order the cheese/crackers in the USA lest I receive the box of brie and water crackers, however, I have rarely been disappointed with the cheese option overseas where "real" cheese is served and with panache! Also offered: premium nuts and ice cream.

One thing I noticed: on the USA silver platinum amenity checkoff cards it specifically states that the gratuity is included. On this card it did not state that message.

SNACK + DRINK OFFERING IN THE POPPI BAR
5 snacks to choose. All of them seemed to be local specialties and that was much appreciated.
1) nazareth cheese (a local hard cheese a bit nutty) served with Tierenthyn mustard which is a famous local mustard similar to a Dijon but a little more tart;
2) Crostini Smoked Salmon - on one night the salmon was superb--just melted in your mouth--other nights not as high quality but very good.
3) Brawn of Ghent which I believe is a local ham or pork product;
4) Fine Ganda ham again a local ham;
5) Variety of Specialties of Ghent which included the cheese, a pork product andl a ham.
#1 and #5 retail price 7.50e, the others retail 5.50e.
I don't generally eat meat so I chose the cheese and salmon during my stay. On the night that I claimed my Platinum amenity I asked for the Snack+drink to be delivered with the Platinum amenity rather than my having to enjoy it at the bar. That was no problem and I noticed the salmon was twice the size as when it was ordered at the bar.

Drink was choice of Stella Artois or Leffe Blonde 25 cl, soda or water. I requested a dark beer and generally it was provided albeit with my needing to repeatedly request my preference in a voice just a bit stronger than normal.

TURNDOWN
These days any kind of sweet is appreciated for turntown but being in Belgium I would much more have appreciated one piece of really good chocolate than a bag of sugar hard candies. Tonight my turn down choice was simply a postcard of the hotel. And no offer to service my room. Oh well...

NEWSPAPERS
Financial Times only English newspaper downstairs--none delivered to the room. No Herald Tribune although if you ask they may special order it for you.

INTERNET
Hotel charges 19.95e per day. They work with Boingo which is $19.95 US per day on a day pass so 30% cheaper with Boingo. There is wireless in the Poppi bar in the lobby but nowhere in the hotel is free internet. But the McDonalds just over St Michael's bridge (5 min walk) has free wifi with one electrical outlet on each floor.

TRAM FROM TRAIN STATION
#1 Tram goes from St Peters Station to the hotel area (the tram # is not marked--go direction Justifiepaleis), however, beware that the stop hear the hotel "korenmarkt" does not currently operate and probably won't for years from the looks of the construction in the square. (it would have been nice if the desk clerk had elaborated that when i called). It is a 10 min walk to the hotel. The stop is not marked so I can't tell you where to get off, however, when you do ask which way is the "korenmarkt"? and then walk along the water. The streets along the main road are cobbled and will kill the wheels on your luggage. When you see St Michael bridge (the first real bridge) circle around just past it, go across it, and keep heading in the direction you were walking but on the other side of the river. You will see a red sign on one of the buildings and when you get closer you will be able to read that it says "Marriott." (the font is difficult to read from afar) The path along the water is a little longer but easier and much more pleasant. Of course, you could also take a taxi from the station. The hotel says it is 10e but I find that hard to believe given the distance.

Again, it's a lovely hotel. Visually stunning. Rooms are very nicely appointed. If there is something lacking that you want you need to ask. If it is the least bit out of the ordinary the staff seems to be born to say no unless you press. Then they'll ask a supervisor who will likely say yes.

You will enjoy your experience at the Marriott Ghent.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
fmkgb,
Thanks for the detailed report of your stay in this property. I look forward to a stay here in the not so distant future, so your heads-up is very helpful. ^
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:46 am

As just an incidental point my earlier post is not necessarily conflicting with fmkgb as I stayed there for over 5 nights and the free minibar was the only benefit detailed to me.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I recommend trying to avoid the rooms with stairs leading down to the bathroom. Very dangerous in the middle of the night.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Angry Further to my post above -- Beware

On checkout I was presented with a bill and asked to confirm that the hotel charges were correct. I did and signed it.

Upon reconciling my Visa bill today the conversion didn't look correct and upon closer look at the bottom of the invoice I see in very fine print that "I was given the choice and have requested to pay in dollars rather than euros" and they are charging me a 2.5% conversion fee. I was never given the option to be charged in dollars and if I had I would have declined it. There is NO reason anyone would want to pay in dollars. Every US credit card company charges their overseas conversion fee if the charge originates out of the USA whether the charge is in US$ or local currency (in fact my Schwab Visa charges no conversion fee for overseas charges so why would I choose to pay the Marriott an extra 2.5%?). Again, it doesn't matter if the charge is in US dollars or local currency.

I have contacted Marriott Corporate Platinum desk for help in getting this reversed by the hotel. Just beware and check your bill carefully before signing as they may not verbally ask which you wish, they just do the conversion to dollars before they print the bill and indicate the dollar amount in very small print at the bottom of the bill. (below the signature)

By the way, if anyone is not aware the Schwab Visa gives 2% rebate on charges and has NO conversion fee for overseas transaction or for overseas ATM withdrawals from your Schwab bank account (I believe there is a 1% fee for ATM withdrawals using your Visa card).

UPDATE; 12/10/09 The hotel is crediting my VISA for the 2.5% conversion fee.

Last edited by fmkgb; Dec 10, 2009 at 6:41 am
Old Nov 5, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold
Any recent updates on this property?

I'm thinking of going for a weekend. Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 2:11 pm

Kornhuis Restaurant

I recently had dinner at the Kornhuis restaurant in the Marriott Ghent: it was excellent. Service was very attentive and nice. I had the Forgotten Vegetables and a dessert. Both were delicious! I am not staying at the hotel, but am starting to regret it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.