Wiki Posts
Search

Hamilton, Ontario Courtyard

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2007, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Hilton HHonors
Hamilton, Ontario Courtyard

Stayed last night at the Hamilton, Ontario Courtyard (west of Toronto) on Upper James. I would guess this hotel is two years old or so...I highly recommend it.

There is a shuttle that will take you to the airport and local businesses...the shuttle took us to a banquet hall on the outskirts and saved me a $30 cab ride.

Two thumbs up to the hotel and shuttle ^ ^
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, that hotel is less than a year old - it opened in 2006 as I did a stay there when it was only 3 weeks old. It was a pretty good hotel. When I was there (and I'm not sure if this is still going on up in YHM or not), half the hotel was rented out by police due to some sort of a land dispute. It was strange rolling up to a hotel with 30 cop cars parked outside every night!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:04 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi there,

Thanks for the info. I'm expecting to be staying there in about 3 weeks, so I'm glad to hear that the hotel is good.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

PS = Yes, it did only open in 2006, as it was not available when I was in the area in October 2005.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

I didn't realize the hotel was THAT new...by the way 10-15 of the police cars are still there...the land dispute is between our native aboriginals and the federal government in an area about 25 miles away and does not look like it will end soon. We were safe anyway...

Great hotel for the coppers to be staying in!

BTW the "shuttle to the airport" would be the Hamilton International Airport (not Pearson).
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
If you need to be in and around Toronto as well as Hamilton. There's a good FI up the road in Oakville. Fairly new. I think it opened in or around 2003 or 2004. Many good restaurants within about a 5-10 minute drive.

Didn't happen to happen to notice any cops, however!
Old May 2, 2007, 1:43 am

Hi,

Thanks for the tip ... I've actually stayed at that FI last time I was in the area ... but since I have to be in Burlington, Hamilton is more convenient (and will get me more points )

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old May 28, 2007, 7:31 pm

Hey all,

Arrived at the Courtyard Hamilton today. The land dispute is still going on. Apparently, it's a question of the Ontario government being accused of building homes on Indian lands, and the cops are there to keep the peace in the area. They are drafted for 1-2 weeks at a time from all parts of Ontario.

Other than that, very nice Courtyard, nice rooms and friendly bar staff. The only downside, no restaurant onsite, but there are a number of restaurants within walking distance.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old May 29, 2007, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Something else I found strange at this hotel: I'm sure I read that the nice bar was only open Monday through Thursday. No mini bar in room (at least mine) either.
Old May 30, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by Beermonger
No mini bar in room (at least mine) either.
Well, it IS Hamilton. Sure you'll find a bar within 10 feet. Just kidding!!!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Mid-stay at the Courtyard in Hamilton right now. Initially booked a week, and then have stayed on for another week after my plans changed.

It was the only Marriott hotel in the Hamilton area, so that's why I picked it. Would have preferred to have been downtown.

That said, the location is not bad at all. Outside of rush hour, you can get to downtown Hamilton in about 10 minutes by car. I drive North on Upper James, take a left on Fennell, a right on West 5th Street and down the mountain onto James street (now two ways!). During rush hour, there is a bit more traffic, but it's still only a few minutes.

Right around the hotel is a good choice of restaurants. There is a Turtle Jacks and Keg Steakhouse within a short walk, and a Hooters across the street. Further South on James there is a lot of restaurant choice as well.

There is ample parking.

Check-in and Staff

I had booked a Queen room (as that was the cheapest).

Check-in was quick and without issue. Recognised and thanked for being silver member. I was asked if I would like an upgrade to a jacuzzi suite. Sure, why not? As silver, was offered a choice of beverage from the "bistro" (or whatever Courtyard is calling the tuck shop nowadays).

Staff was good as well when I extended my stay beyond my originally booked departure. Very apologetic that they could not continue my stay in the jacuzzi suite as it was booked, but upgraded to a King room (nominal upgrade, but I do like a king bed, so I'll take it). Got me a lower rate as well.

When switching rooms, I had to store my bag as I was leaving at 4 AM and the new room wasn't ready yet. Strangely, they didn't give me a tag. I guess maybe a lot of people don't leave a bag?

Hotel Common Areas

There is an actual courtyard in this Courtyard. Weather is too cold to actually be out in it.

Nice sitting area / bar in the lobby, with two computers, a fire place and a TV.

Pool area:

Jacuzzi Suite

Nice, spacious room. This was on the outside corner of the hotel, so a quiet end - though the view wasn't great. Looked out over a car dealership.

The room had a large armoire with the TV's in it to separate the bed from the sitting area.

Seating area:

Couch is a pull out, in case you have guests.

Bed:

Jacuzzi (beside the bed):

Desk (in seating area):

Separate bathroom from tub, with just a shower stall:

There is a small fridge and microwave in the room as well:

King Room

Moved to a King Room now for the second part of my stay.

Bed:

Couch (facing the TV and desk):

Again a pull out

Workspace and TV (wardrobe beside it).

Bathroom (with tub):

Miscellaneous

Overall, impressed with the location. The decor is nice, I think it must have been redone recently. Very little noise (even though there was a wedding party on the Saturday night - didn't hear a peep in my room).

Haven't tried the restaurant (which is open for breakfast), but lots of options around for food. Edited to add - breakfast is buffet. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, cereals and an omelette bar. Not bad, but there is a Cora's just south on Upper James, which is probably a better bet.

There is a bar in the lobby open evenings Monday to Thursday. Bottled beer, wine and spirits available, though prices are higher than local bars.

Free wifi in the rooms, which I haven't had any issues with, either speed or connectivity. Lots of channels on the TV - though frankly perhaps too many as it takes a while to scroll through them all.

Biggest gap seems to be the lack of safes in the rooms.

Last edited by GregWTravels; Nov 29, 2012 at 10:40 am Reason: Added information on breakfast...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update w/ pictures!

Cheers.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer:7673689
I've actually stayed at that FI last time I was in the area ... but since I have to be in Burlington, Hamilton is more convenient
I did find that the Courtyard in Hamilton was more expensive than a number of Toronto outskirts hotels. Between the OPP and kids and chaperones going to hockey tournaments, the hotel must make good business. Cheaper to stay in Mississauga than Hamilton.

For me, I choose because of location being the most important factor. But they does seem to be cheaper Marriott options in the area if you aren't as concerned about being on Hamilton Mountain.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
Any one stayed in this hotel recently? Booked two rooms for long weekend. But it seems no lounge or other gold perks in this hotel.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
With CY the only gold perk you'll get is free internet.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.