Wiki Posts
Search

Renaissance Chicago - NOT my fave

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Renaissance Chicago - NOT my fave

I have been working in Chicago for the past 6 months and kept reading all the rave reviews on this property and felt compelled to give it a try...at least for one week. Well I arrived last night and could not wait to experience the platinum treatment you all have described. Well to my chagrin, I had to prompt the front desk clerk about an upgrade to which her response was "sorry". So I go up to my room on the 16th floor and am disgusted as I walk into a dated room with dirty carpet at the front by the bathroom. I call the front desk clerk back and inform her of my displeasure and she again says sorry but we would love to put you on the club level but we are expecting VIP guests on wednesday and we would have to move you then. Well that was it, I have left a message with the GM on her voicemail and I will take myself back to the Doubletree Chicago Suites where they appreciate my business. I am happy that the majority of you had a pleasant experience here, I guess it just wasn't my day!! Renaissance Chicago is NOT my fave!!
Old Nov 2, 2004, 5:10 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold, Delta SM, Southwest CP
No property is perfect and there's no excuse for dirty carpet.

All I can tell you is in multiple stays over multiple years, I've never gotten a bad room (let alone a dirty one) or anything but outstanding service at the Ren Chicago. As for "dated rooms" I'd like to see your standards, because I don't believe the hotel has any in my experience.

Last edited by ondeadlin; Nov 2, 2004 at 7:28 am
Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:00 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SW, HH, MR, SPG, Choice
Surprised. I thought this was one of the better Chicago hotels.

Originally Posted by ondeadlin
No property is perfect and there's no excuse for dirty carpet.

All I can tell you is in multiple stays over multiple years, I've never gotten a bad room (let alone a dirty one) or anything but outstanding service at the Ren Chicago. As for "dated rooms" I'd like to see your stands, because I don't believe the hotel has any in my experience.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:47 am

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
Originally Posted by IrieDame
I call the front desk clerk back and inform her of my displeasure and she again says sorry but we would love to put you on the club level but we are expecting VIP guests on wednesday and we would have to move you then.
You can't expect to be upgraded, and be disappointed when you are not. They most likely had paying guests on the club level later on in the week.

I do agree that the dirty carpets are inexcusable.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
I am not bashing the Renaissance...please do not misunderstand...I am simply saying that my experience was not the greatest and I understand about upgrades etc. My standards are average, I have been staying at the Doubletree which I adore and that is by no means above average...it is hard to put into words the service I received and how I was treated in person but again, just my experience and as I said it was not my fave but one stay does not an endorsement or indictment make.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Renaissance Chicago is not what I would consider one of the best Marriott chain hotels I have ever stayed in BUT it definitely is the best property in downtown Chicago! I have stayed at both the Marriott and Renaissance properties numerous times in Chicago and the Marriott just doesn't compare. No hotel is perfect! I am not sure how it compares to the DT and most posts say it is the best Marriott alternative for downtown Chicago. If you go outside of the Marriott chains, I would pick one of the two Westin's or a W over the Renaissance.

Last edited by christianj; Nov 3, 2004 at 6:51 am
Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:07 pm

Programs: Too many to list
I stay at this hotel everytime I travel to Chicago for 3 reasons: the location, the service and the ease of upgrades when available. I have been fortunate to receive an upgrade everytime I stay here, so I may be biased. I have stayed at the W, and it is great also, but I am loyal Marriott and just like it better. It sounds like you just had a bad experience for whatever reasons. As mentioned before, no hotel can satisfy 100% of the time. I strongly suggest giving it one more chance before you write it off, you may be surprised by your next stay. If not, it sounds like you already have another place you are comfortable with!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.