Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vienna (Wien), Austria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vienna (Wien), Austria

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Huge variance for 3 days in September

Question for our Vienna experts: We have 3 days to tour in late September after taking a train from Budapest. Daily rates as follows: IRS=179E; Marriott: 268E; Ren Wien: 79E. I've read the last few pages of this thread and think I understand that the Ren Wien will be out of the main tourist area. But at this huge difference in rates, still considering the Wien unless told by our experts here that it would be a mistake. Please give me your recommendations as to the above scenario including whatever problems, if any, would be presented using the Ren Wien as our base for three days of touring. Thanks.

Last edited by ohmark; Apr 28, 2017 at 9:19 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ohmark
Question for our Vienna experts: We have 3 days to tour in late September after taking a train from Budapest. Daily rates as follows: IRS=179E; Marriott: 268E; Ren Wien: 79E. I've read the last few pages of this thread and think I understand that the Ren Wien will be out of the main tourist area. But at this huge difference in rates, still considering the Wien unless told by our experts here that it would be a mistake. Please give me your recommendations as to the above scenario including whatever problems, if any, would be presented using the Ren Wien as our base for three days of touring. Thanks.
The Ren Wien you'll be spending more time on public transit getting to/from most of the tourist things, which are around the Ring/near the first district. Also, if you decide to go back to the hotel mid-day for a break, eats up more time. It doesn't have an exec lounge, but you will get a breakfast. The IRS has a nice exec lounge, is closer to the tourist things, has a lot more suites for upgrades and is usually less expensive than the Marriott. You could book both Rens & monitor rates to see if the IRS drops (or lock it in if it goes up) & decide just before your trip.

I went to school in Vienna & have been back many times. I created a word doc on things to do, places to eat, etc, in Vienna. If you (or any other FTer) would like a copy, PM me your email address & I'll send it to you.

Cheers.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I am at the Riding School right now. Best hotel. Fantastic lounge. Location is not in the center but is close you can easily get there and the S-Bahn is right next door.

Actually, I lie, I am at Salm Bräu around the corner.. Fantastic!!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver
I'll be at the IRS tomorrow. I've been there before so I know the location and I don't think it's that bad and it's a good deal.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by 7Lowe
I'll be at the IRS tomorrow. I've been there before so I know the location and I don't think it's that bad and it's a good deal.
We can high five on the way out.. Or probably not as I am on the 4:50am S-Bahn to the airport.

Hey: Post what the lounge is doing for dinner. They seemed to switch from hot food to cold cuts and cheese 1/2 way though my stay.. would be a shame if it is a new policy.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
We can high five on the way out.. Or probably not as I am on the 4:50am S-Bahn to the airport.

Hey: Post what the lounge is doing for dinner. They seemed to switch from hot food to cold cuts and cheese 1/2 way though my stay.. would be a shame if it is a new policy.
Yeah, I won't be there until 9 or 10AM.

I will keep an eye on the lounge and report back though.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
The Marriott is one of the hotels in Vienna with the best location, if you do not count Bristol (*wood) or Sacher, both directly at Staatsoper (Opera), or opposite Opera the Le Meridien (*wood), or Do&Co (*wood) at Stephansplatz.

At Parkring you find the main entrance of the Marriott, and at Weihburggasse the side entrance (another more hidden one in the back of the hotel). There is an ingenious cutoff from hotel to the very center. Walk from the side entrance 5-7 mins. on Weihburggasse and you will reach Kärtnerstrasse pedestrian zone next to Stephansplatz.

The Executive Lounge on the upper floor is being renovated currently. There is a provisoric nice EL now on the first floor (belle etage) with entrance on the right side if you walk up the long stair. I had a meeting there yesterday, and it is a nice lounge. The hotel is a popular place to meet (lot of cafes/lounges downstairs).
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by submonte
The Marriott is one of the hotels in Vienna with the best location, if you do not count Bristol (*wood) or Sacher, both directly at Staatsoper (Opera), or opposite Opera the Le Meridien (*wood), or Do&Co (*wood) at Stephansplatz.

At Parkring you find the main entrance of the Marriott, and at Weihburggasse the side entrance (another more hidden one in the back of the hotel). There is an ingenious cutoff from hotel to the very center. Walk from the side entrance 5-7 mins. on Weihburggasse and you will reach Kärtnerstrasse pedestrian zone next to Stephansplatz.

The Executive Lounge on the upper floor is being renovated currently. There is a provisoric nice EL now on the first floor (belle etage) with entrance on the right side if you walk up the long stair. I had a meeting there yesterday, and it is a nice lounge. The hotel is a popular place to meet (lot of cafes/lounges downstairs).
The Marriott has the best location of the three. No one's ever questioned that.

However, ohmark can get the Ren Wien for 79E vs. the Marriott 268E. Are you saying the Marriott is worth almost 200E extra (600E for 3 nights) just for the location? If so, I disagree w/ you. The Ren IRS is a good compromise, with a nice exec lounge, lot of suites so upgrades are easier than the Marriott, and easy access to the S-bahn & tram to get to the ring.

Cheers.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
With only a few days, I would spend a little more for the location. That said, either the Ren or the IRS will get you to all the tourist locations with just a little extra time and work.

268 is an awfully high rate for the Marriott, which is indeed an excellent location. If a Marriott is a must, I'd probably spend the 179 for the IRS. To be perfectly honest, if the 79 is more in the OP's price range, I'd probably look away from Marriott toward a hotel that is closer to the center at a rate closer to that price, or even consider an airbnb.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by JBord
To be perfectly honest, if the 79 is more in the OP's price range, I'd probably look away from Marriott toward a hotel that is closer to the center at a rate closer to that price, or even consider an airbnb.
My price range not an issue. The tremendous variance in the rates among one Marriott and two Rens for three days in late September in the same city is striking and since I have total non-familiarity with Vienna, made me wonder about what hardships would be imposed on a tourist staying at the Ren Wien as opposed to the Marriott and IRS which are more than double and triple the rate of the Wien. B/T/W, the Marriott notes its rates as "special event rate."

But, reading above--and speaking of location, I'm now also taking a look at the Le Meridien from our new friends at SPG.

Appreciate all the responses and thanks for taking the time.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
B/T/W, the Marriott notes its rates as "special event rate."
Vienna gets a LOT of conferences (medical especially). My guess (and its only that) is that one has booked & is using the Marriott as the main location for the conference, hence special event rate.

Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Just finished dinner and on the hot side there was a chicken and mushroom dish, rice, and spring rolls. Then there were some tiny open-faced sandwiches, some cabbage(I think), and a potato salad. It was pretty good.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by JBord
With only a few days, I would spend a little more for the location. That said, either the Ren or the IRS will get you to all the tourist locations with just a little extra time and work.

268 is an awfully high rate for the Marriott, which is indeed an excellent location. If a Marriott is a must, I'd probably spend the 179 for the IRS. To be perfectly honest, if the 79 is more in the OP's price range, I'd probably look away from Marriott toward a hotel that is closer to the center at a rate closer to that price, or even consider an airbnb.
Prices at this Marriott vary widely. I remember looking at it one year when we would be visiting (in October), and it was $800/night for the most basic room. Seemed a bit steep, for a Marriott, no matter how good the location (we ended up staying at the Grand Hotel Wien on The Ring).

I have never quite understood why the prices at this particular Marriott are so fluid.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ysolde

I have never quite understood why the prices at this particular Marriott are so fluid.
Supply & demand. If you've got medical conferences, OPEC conferences, UN conferences, etc, & the Marriott & other properties on the Ring get booked, prices will go up. Also, until the last couple of years the Euro/$ exchange rate favored the Euro, so it could cost more. Checking random 1-night mid-week dates through the rest of the year the Marriott ranges from 185-350E, with low-mid 200s as the norm.

Cheers.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta platinum, Marriott platinum
I arrive at IRS tomorrow and hope to see those of you who are still there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.