Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:29 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
OK, with two tweener kids, JW, Metro Center, or Downtown Renaissance?

Do any of these restrict lounge access (i.e. am I going to have trouble getting my kids in there for breakfast)?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:24 pm

What do you plan to do with the kids while you are in DC?

I think the Renaissance has the best location of the 3 (more places to eat/things to do nearby and easy access to Metro). Metro Center is OK but fewer restaurants and shops nearby. The JW is pretty close to the National Mall, though.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
When I visited with my parents, we stayed at the Residence Inn Washington DC downtown. We were all adults, obviously, but we were able to get a suite (living room + bedroom) for about $300/night, which I thought was a great price. The living room has a couch that unfolds and sleeps two, so you can have a bedroom for you and one for the kids. Plus the kitchen means you could have breakfast in your room if you're more of a continental type breakfast person and don't want to cook - there's a small grocery store right next to the hotel. I'm not sure about their other breakfast options. Location was great too - within walking distance of the subway, and we also did walk to the Smithsonian (though that's a longer walk and you could take the subway instead).
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:48 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by windhund
What do you plan to do with the kids while you are in DC?

I think the Renaissance has the best location of the 3 (more places to eat/things to do nearby and easy access to Metro). Metro Center is OK but fewer restaurants and shops nearby. The JW is pretty close to the National Mall, though.
Yeah, I was leaning towards the JW since most of what we want to do is on the mall.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For reference, the welcome email from the JW for a plat. A couple of things that concerned me and that I would fuss about if needed on our visit. No mention of late checkout benefit. Bed type is stated as not guaranteed. This email seems to go to all guests, it seems that they should tailor one to plats.

Dear Valued Guest,

The Flagship JW Marriott Washington DC Hotel would like to welcome you for your upcoming visit to our nation’s capital. We are proud to offer you newly redesigned hotel rooms and suites, polished, professional service and the best location in the city with the National Mall and the White House just steps away. Our team looks forward to providing you with an exceptional experience and an outstanding level of service for which Marriott is known.

Noteworthy hotel information:

Guaranteed Check-In time: 4:00 PM
Check-Out time: 12:00 PM

Tired of standing in line to check in or out? We are excited to invite our Marriott Rewards members to a quick and easy way to avoid the hassle of long waits. To expedite the check in and out process, we encourage you to take advantage of Marriott’s Mobile app. There you can check in and out, send requests, and chat with an associate with your smartphone!

We would like to remind you that rollaway beds are not offered here at the JW Marriott Washington DC. We will be more than happy to try our best to accommodate the bed and room type preferences that you made during your booking, but please know that we are not able to guarantee certain requests, such as bed type preference, preferred view and complementary upgrades.

We do offer overnight valet parking at $50 plus tax with in and out privileges. Thank you in advance for your patience while you drop your car off and pick it up upon check out.

Here at the JW Marriott, we offer free WiFi for Marriott Rewards Members. If you are not a Marriott Rewards Member and are interested in signing up, we would be more than happy to do so upon check in.

Our loyal Platinum and Gold Elite Marriott Rewards members are welcome to experience the benefits of our Executive Lounge. We invite you, plus one guest, to our state of the art Executive Lounge located on the 14th floor overlooking breathtaking views of the city.

Our Executive Lounge hours are listed below:
Sunday- 5:00PM-10:00PM
Monday-Thursday- 6:30AM-10:00PM
Friday- 6:30AM-12:00PM

Please note that for our loyal Platinum and Gold Elite Marriott Rewards Members, our Executive Lounge is closed over the weekend. With that said, we offer 1,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points per day that the lounge is closed. The lounge closes Friday morning after breakfast service and remains closed until Sunday evening.

We wish you safe travels on your trip to Washington, DC. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to ensure that you have a fantastic stay at the JW Marriott Washington DC, by simply responding to this email or calling the hotel at (202) 393-2000.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Going back to the topic of which hotel is best ... I'm in DC on a few upcoming work trips. The JW and Ren have the same rate, and both are fine location wise.

I've stayed at the JW a few times but has been a while. Any recommendations on which hotel is nicer and how they treat Plat Premiers?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Need some help deciding between the Marriott Metro or the Autograph Mayflower. Biggest factor is the lounge.

(It's been years, but those are two that I've stayed in previously, although the Mayflower was a Renaissance back then. The Metro location was a standard Marriott. The Mayflower had the best upgrades I've ever gotten and the lounge was outstanding. Not sure if that is still true these days.)

Thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by pvn
OK, with two tweener kids, JW, Metro Center, or Downtown?

Do any of these restrict lounge access (i.e. am I going to have trouble getting my kids in there for breakfast)?
Saw plenty of kids at all hours this week in the Lounge of the Downtown Renaissance. It has the same hours as the JW listed in the post above (closed Friday evening/Saturday/Sunday morning). It is on a discrete 2nd floor mezzanine served by an elevator for the Club side of the hotel, so no rooms around the Club itself. It was large and comfortable, though it did get pretty full at rush hour.

The hot offerings were scrambled eggs, meat, oatmeal and toast. Cold offerings were cereal, fruit, bread, bagels and pastries (pretty dry), and a cheese and cold cut assortment including salmon. In the evening there were two hot items (crab cakes one night were good), salad items, cheese and crackers. Beer/wine offerings were mainstream but they did offer an interesting adult punch each night. There was fruit, coffee, water, Pepsi and beer (honor bar) available all day.

Overall the hotel and room were clean and modern; staff was friendly. Nice workout room with lockers and showers. Pleased to have gotten a room upgrade and late check out (2 pm) despite the hotel being sold out. Nice option near the Convention Center, walking distance from the Metro and some tourist sites.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Going back to the topic of which hotel is best ... I'm in DC on a few upcoming work trips. The JW and Ren have the same rate, and both are fine location wise.

I've stayed at the JW a few times but has been a while. Any recommendations on which hotel is nicer and how they treat Plat Premiers?
bumping this thread. Similar request.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Stayed at the Marriott Metro Center this week as well as the Renaissance DC Downtown. I've always been partial to the Renaissance brand, and this time I think it was the clear winner. Price was the same with my corporate rate and with the summer promo hopping over made sense.

Checked into M around 10pm. No suites available, received my booked king. "Upgraded"(?) to club floor. IMO small room. The lounge is VERY small, was crowded for breakfast. Typical offerings. Came by in the evening, the dessert spread was pretty paltry.

Checked into the R around 2pm. Upgraded to king studio suite. Very nice room, plenty of space. Much better bedroom/bathroom furniture, typical of R. Awesome lounge. Very big and good breakfast/evening spreads.

I didn't get a chance to check out the gym at either place, but the R will be my future choice for downtown DC.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update & comparison.

Cheers.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Stayed at the Marriott Metro Center this week as well as the Renaissance DC Downtown. I've always been partial to the Renaissance brand, and this time I think it was the clear winner. Price was the same with my corporate rate and with the summer promo hopping over made sense.

Checked into M around 10pm. No suites available, received my booked king. "Upgraded"(?) to club floor. IMO small room. The lounge is VERY small, was crowded for breakfast. Typical offerings. Came by in the evening, the dessert spread was pretty paltry.

Checked into the R around 2pm. Upgraded to king studio suite. Very nice room, plenty of space. Much better bedroom/bathroom furniture, typical of R. Awesome lounge. Very big and good breakfast/evening spreads.

I didn't get a chance to check out the gym at either place, but the R will be my future choice for downtown DC.
I agree with the comparison between the Metro and the Reni. But, try out the Marquis too if available. Right across the street from the Reni. Nice, large lounge. And outside patio for the summer! (better food at the Reni though in the evening). Nice gym. Really nice atrium views on interior rooms, and seating on every floor facing the atrium if you don't mind people walking by.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Booking now for Spring Break 2019. Looks like the Mayflower could be a great choice. Close to Red Line, rooms renovated in the last few years, and a lounge. Lots of restaurants in the area and could walk to many of the local sights if your kids were a bit older and willing.

Any down sides to this property?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by lucycan
Booking now for Spring Break 2019. Looks like the Mayflower could be a great choice. Close to Red Line, rooms renovated in the last few years, and a lounge. Lots of restaurants in the area and could walk to many of the local sights if your kids were a bit older and willing.

Any down sides to this property?
The better lounge is the M Club at the Georgetown Marriott, which isn't actually in Georgetown. It's maybe 10-12 minutes, by foot, from the Mayflower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.