Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas for Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Ideas for Christmas?

Last year I did Christmas in Paris. The year before it was Singapore.

I'm looking for somewhere to go this year -- on points. I have enough points so that isn't an important consideration. What's more important is the location of the hotel and amenities (preferably a lounge to reduce on my out-of-pocket expenses). Also, service is important. Both of my hotels in Paris and Singapore put up a decorated, lighted Christmas tree -- for free! -- in my room.

I like history, architecture and people-watching. I was thinking Madrid. Rome would be interesting but I imagine it is crowded because of pilgrims coming to spend Christmas with the pope. Is that correct?

Paris was interesting, if only because I was surprised in that Christmas wasn't that big of deal. Singapore actually celebrated Christmas better than Paris, in my opinion.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd recommend Vienna. Not sure they'll put a tree in your room for free (I'm thinking Marriott or Renaissance Imperial Riding school vs. the Ritz, as you don't get free access to the Ritz lounge). Lot of history, architecture & people-watching, & Vienna/Xmas market is lovely during the holidays. You also have some SPG options there (Bristol, Imperial).

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'd recommend Vienna. Not sure they'll put a tree in your room for free (I'm thinking Marriott or Renaissance Imperial Riding school vs. the Ritz, as you don't get free access to the Ritz lounge). Lot of history, architecture & people-watching, & Vienna/Xmas market is lovely during the holidays. You also have some SPG options there (Bristol, Imperial).

Cheers.
I've done Vienna, but I appreciate the suggestion. I've also done Amsterdam, Tallinn, Oslo, Edinburgh, Stockholm and London.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
What about Munich or Berlin? Again, architecture, people-watching, Xmas markets.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:22 am

Look at Prague as an option.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:02 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
What about Australia? Between Marriott and Starwood there are a number of options to choose from.

While I've never been to Thailand myself, my daughter just got back from a month there with a bunch of friends hiking around the country and staying at very inexpensive (i.e. non-Marriott) hotels, but she thoroughly enjoyed it. And she loved the scenery. There have been a lot of FTers posting very positive things about the resorts there.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
I have heard that Venice is nice at Christmas. Holiday lights along the canals and fewer tourists in winter.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
What about Australia? Between Marriott and Starwood there are a number of options to choose from.

While I've never been to Thailand myself, my daughter just got back from a month there with a bunch of friends hiking around the country and staying at very inexpensive (i.e. non-Marriott) hotels, but she thoroughly enjoyed it. And she loved the scenery. There have been a lot of FTers posting very positive things about the resorts there.
Having done New Zealand and the Samoas, I really want to do Australia as well as its other down under cousin, South Africa. The issue with going down under is I imagine Christmas is absolutely peak season as it's summer there.

I'm open to South America and Asia even. I'd do France for Christmas again if Marriott had a property in Normandy.

I would even consider London, but I've read that, unlike Paris, where you couldn't even tell it was Christmas, that London is more or less closed up on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Having done New Zealand and the Samoas, I really want to do Australia as well as its other down under cousin, South Africa. The issue with going down under is I imagine Christmas is absolutely peak season as it's summer there.

I'm open to South America and Asia even. I'd do France for Christmas again if Marriott had a property in Normandy.

I would even consider London, but I've read that, unlike Paris, where you couldn't even tell it was Christmas, that London is more or less closed up on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Many establishments in London close on Boxing Day, too.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:26 pm

We were in Ireland last year and most places were closed. We were able to spend the night in a castle though which was really fun and they served excellent food.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:44 pm

Most countries that "do" Christmas shut down on Christmas because the employees of places want to have Christmas, too. For example, Germany + Austria will be very, very quiet on the 25th/26th too. I never used to realize the way places go silent on Christmas because if you're always doing Christmas at home with your family it doesn't really matter. It's only when you're a 'stranger' in a 'strange land' and you're out there taking in the atmosphere that it hits you.

I personally think it's therefore generally a better idea to travel maybe the last weekend before Christmas if you want to get the Christmas vibe of a city. The Christmas markets are there, the cities are decorated, the music and all that is everywhere - but stuff is actually open for business and you can do stuff in the cities.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:08 am

I'm going to Moscow for Christmas. Although apparently Christmas is actually celebrated until January so everything is open Christmas which I like the idea of.
Hoping for my first white Christmas!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
Bangkok and Phuket for us.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My wife and I spent Xmas and New Years in London a couple of years ago and loved it. We spent 10 nights at the Park Lane Marriott starting on 12/23. On 12/24 we went to Borough Market and assembled an in room picnic for the following day when everything was closed. There was no problem finding a restaurant open for the evening of 12/25...most hotel restaurants are serving. We also had no trouble finding theatre to attend during that period. Also, everyone should experience walking through Harrods on 12/24 (maybe just once though).
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michelin
My wife and I spent Xmas and New Years in London a couple of years ago and loved it. We spent 10 nights at the Park Lane Marriott starting on 12/23. On 12/24 we went to Borough Market and assembled an in room picnic for the following day when everything was closed. There was no problem finding a restaurant open for the evening of 12/25...most hotel restaurants are serving. We also had no trouble finding theatre to attend during that period. Also, everyone should experience walking through Harrods on 12/24 (maybe just once though).
I've done London in late November several times. London does Christmas reasonably well with good decorations and lights. By contrast, I hardly saw a light or decoration in Paris last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.