Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Walked in DC last night at 1am as a Platinum member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walked in DC last night at 1am as a Platinum member

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Back in the day, a decade before social media, long before blogs, long before viral was viral, there was "Yours is a Very Bad Hotel"

Still epic to this day.

https://www.slideshare.net/politicsj...very-bad-hotel
EPIC.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace
Or, more completely (as a Platinum Elite guest with a guaranteed reservation at a Residence Inn), did you get a night at a nearby, comparable hotel at no expense to you + $100 USD + 90,000 Marriott Rewards points?

When did you finally get to your new room? How much sleep were you deprived of because the Residence Inn Washington, DC Downtown apparently does not take the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee seriously for a Platinum Elite guest?
As an update for this. I arrived at a Courtyard about 8 miles north of downtown DC at around 2:15am. The property was OK but not "comparable" to the Residence Inn in downtown (as a reference, the rate at the Courtyard was <$200 and the rate at the Residence Inn was $475).

I had a meeting at 9am so there really wasn't much time to sleep.

I was able to return to the Residence Inn this morning and spoke to a manager who informed that they would be comping two nights (I used points for this reservation so they are being returned).

Question for the pros here: am I entitled to the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee in addition to any comp from the hotel? Or can these two comped nights negate the need to provide the 90K points + $100?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
What is supposed to happen if we've prepaid for the room we got bumped from? Does that get refunded?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by alvarez16

I was able to return to the Residence Inn this morning and spoke to a manager who informed that they would be comping two nights (I used points for this reservation so they are being returned).

Question for the pros here: am I entitled to the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee in addition to any comp from the hotel? Or can these two comped nights negate the need to provide the 90K points + $100?
Did you bring up the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee? If so, did they refuse to honor it?

Does the two nights comped include the night you were walked, or is it on top of the walked night?

Given that it's a cat 6, I would say you are owed 30k if they refunded you the 2 nights after the walked night, or 60k if they only refunded you the walked night and one other night.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:21 pm

As an update for this. I arrived at a Courtyard about 8 miles north of downtown DC at around 2:15am.
*Eight* miles north? Is this CY even in DC? Or is it in Downtown Silver Spring? Crazy.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:51 pm

I have an interesting overbooking story (as a lowly SPG/Marriott gold). I booked Westin Whistler for two nights over New Years eve, via Orbitz (~$500 per night). One day before check in, Orbitz emailed me saying Westin is overbooked. I called Orbitz, and the only hotel with availability was Four Seasons (~$1,400 per night, last room), and they rebooked me there, with no additional money collected. So it all ended well.

But I am sure I would be out of luck in this situation if I booked directly with the hotel. I would probably be walked at check in, and no alternative accommodation provided at all, because there was no availability anywhere at that point.

What happens if a hotel has to walk you and there is absolutely nothing available in the area?

Last edited by echino; Apr 21, 2017 at 6:01 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by echino
I have an interesting overbooking story (as a lowly SPG/Marriott gold). I booked Westin Whistler for two nights over New Years eve, via Orbitz (~$500 per night). One day before check in, Orbitz emailed me saying Westin is overbooked. I called Orbitz, and the only hotel with availability was Four Seasons (~$1,400 per night, last room), and they rebooked me there, with no additional money collected. So it all ended well.

But I am sure I would be out of luck in this situation if I booked directly with the hotel. I would probably be walked at check in, and no alternative accommodation provided at all, because there was no availability anywhere at that point.

What happens if a hotel has to walk you and there is absolutely nothing available in the area?
I never saw it happen myself though I do recall 2-3 hour attempts to re-accommodate people. What you typically do is that when you call the other properties you arrange that they call you back if something opens up. As the night progresses, something will typically open up somewhere. Alternatively, you cast a much wider net. I remember re-accommodations 40-50 miles away, like we're talking outside the suburban zone.

If it did happen, I'd guess refund and voucher is probably what you do (though I'm sure with loyalty programs, you'd also get points as appeasement).
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The two comped nights, one of which was at a distant Courtyard, could be considered a reasonable substitute for a nearby, comparable hotel the first night at no expense to you -- because you were robbed of the ability to get even the reduced amount of sleep that you expected the first night.

That still leaves the $100 USD + 90,000 Marriott Rewards points as the published compensation under the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee. There is nothing in the terms and conditions that excludes nights paid with Rewards points.

90,000 Marriott Rewards points are easily worth of $1000 if used wisely. The $100 USD is a nice bonus on top of that.

The whole idea behind the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee is that Elite guests -- especially Platinum Elite guests -- should not be walked. The published benefit is high enough so that it's painful for the hotel, but only if guests insist on it.

Please insist that the hotel honor the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 21, 2017 at 7:41 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am curious about something...when this happens:

1 - what kind of documentation is issued by the hotel to confirm you were walked?
2 - what happens if you decide to not return to the hotel for the rest of the nights?

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I believe it is very rare that Plats get walked. I believe of all the major chains, Marriott has the strongest penalty for walking elites.

However, I suspect that elites claiming the points and cash payment ALONG with the comped nights at the alternative property AND refund of original stay is not consistent. The property will likely NOT volunteer all of these elite points and payment. Please do not let this go. Marriott wants to hit these properties with a stick.

I also no longer accept that cancel policies are the reason for overbooking as much now that cancellation policies are now at least one day prior, and the creep to two or more days has been noted. If the property takes a last minute guest at a high cash rate and bumps an elite, it is time for the elite action. 90k plus cash on the spot is worthy for any traveller in this situation.

What we have also noticed in the forum is that if you ask for the points and cash before you "walk away", sometimes magically a room appears to be available (but remember if it is not at least your reserved room type, there is money to demand there too!). However, I am comfortable that guests need not speak up at that moment if they want to experience the walk and ask for the elite guarantees later.

It does appear this property is playing some ignorance at the moment.

Rasheed
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice

To clarify a few things:

1) Yes, this was 8 miles north and I technically spent the night in Maryland (we crossed state lines). This hotel was also selling for HALF the nightly rate and costs 10K less points per night; I don't consider this "nearby" or "comparable".

2) The front desk DID claim ignorance about the guarantee. Even after I called the Plat line and THEY called the hotel, the agent said "they somehow claim to be unaware of the penalties for walking a Platinum guest". However, she made several comments / notes on my account about this and was borderline more upset than I was.

3) I understand asking for the comp nights + guarantee may be a lot, but I think walking a Platinum guest is absolutely unacceptable and should ever happen. Period. It is absolute greed on the hotels part to do so (I had a paid reservation which they would have collected money for even if I no-showed).

I'll continue communications with the hotel and Marriott Plat line (they informed me the hotel has 3 business days to respond to a query about an ultimate reservation guarantee).
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks for all the advice

To clarify a few things:

1) Yes, this was 8 miles north and I technically spent the night in Maryland (we crossed state lines). This hotel was also selling for HALF the nightly rate and costs 10K less points per night; I don't consider this "nearby" or "comparable".

2) The front desk DID claim ignorance about the guarantee. Even after I called the Plat line and THEY called the hotel, the agent said "they somehow claim to be unaware of the penalties for walking a Platinum guest". However, she made several comments / notes on my account about this and was borderline more upset than I was.

3) I understand asking for the comp nights + guarantee may be a lot, but I think walking a Platinum guest is absolutely unacceptable and should ever happen. Period. It is absolute greed on the hotels part to do so (I had a paid reservation which they would have collected money for even if I no-showed).

I'll continue communications with the hotel and Marriott Plat line (they informed me the hotel has 3 business days to respond to a query about an ultimate reservation guarantee).
Please continue to push for the hotel to follow Marriott policy. [I was once "walked" to a less desirable hotel in Sliver Spring, although not by this RI, in a blizzard. It took well over an hour the next morning to drive into Georgetown for my meeting.]
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:34 pm

I agree if you no showed they would have gotten the money for the room. Instead they sold the room my guess is for a Rack Rate and basically took the higher revenue for your room. Idiots because now they will pay you for being walked and it will be more costly for them to do this then keeping the room open for you. Seems like the GM/FM at this hotel needs some training.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
OP should file for the Ultimate Reservation guarantee as mentioned above. Personally, I have not been bumped, but I have been called by a few Marriott hotels and one Hilton property. If I had said I wasn't coming, they would have put someone else in the room.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MR's penalties is definitely great protection for us and hopefully it stays in the new program.

I remember checking in at a SHS in IL years ago, they put up a sign seeking volunteers. To me, that is a lot better than bumping people late at night.

Then there was this time at an HIE. I asked why bump a Platinum and the answer was "everyone is Platinum" With IHG, it is sort of true

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.