Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite member booking room for spouse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite member booking room for spouse?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Like I said...I am a noob when it comes to Marriott program. All this is great info. It sounds like its pretty divided here..half of the people say its fine to book for your spouse and collect points...the other half frowns upon it.

I brought this up because 2 weeks ago my wife was staying at a Hilton Garden Inn In for work...she asked the hotel if she could add my HHonors number to the reservation to collect the points. (I am Silver with Hilton and was not present). Hilton told her that was no problem and I got the points. So I was wondering if this works for Marriott..
Never hurts to ask questions. Some FT'ers will quote the T&Cs specified by the program and some feel their anecdotal data represents the rules. Just about anything can happen. Knowing the rules is important. Knowing some properties will miss up helps. Anything beyond what the rules call for could be reversed at a later time. Anything less than what the rules call for will require you to chase them down.

FDCs are among the worst people to ask about program rules. Some barely know their own property, let along the ins and outs of their chain's loyalty program. Invest some time in reading the T&Cs to see where you might be leaving some points on the table.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
It sounds like its pretty divided here..half of the people say its fine to book for your spouse and collect points...the other half frowns upon it.
I think rather than saying "it's fine," many of those people were saying you can get away with it (sometimes). Most folks here, IMO, would say that it's clearly against Marriott's rules, but sometimes do-able.
Old May 12, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
OP, it's simple: Call Marriott and tell them this is what you want to do. If they say it's fine, it's fine. If you think there is any chance this is acceptable, you should have no qualms about calling Marriott. If you think Marriott would say this is unacceptable, then moving forward is dishonest and unethical. Again, it's pretty simple. We all know you won't call Marriott because you already know what you want to do is wrong.

Once, very late at night, I was stuck at a red light. There were absolutely no other cars around. It is a very long light. (Those in ATL, it was on E Rock Springs in front of Morningside Elementary.) So what could it hurt to run the light? Of course, there was a police car parked out of view, and of course I got pulled over. After the ticket, the points on my license and the increased insurance rates, it cost me over $1k. It's impossible to undo a bad decision.

Is it likely you will get caught and your girlfriend lose her Marriott Rewards account? No. Are you foolish enough to take the chance just for a few measly benefits?
Old May 12, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
I'm with VickiSoCal on this but at the end of the day, it's a matter of personal ethics.

Now this is just straight-up wrong. It is also something that could get your account locked and put under review. Past performance may not be indicative of future acceptance.

Aint no shame in my game.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Never hurts to ask questions. Some FT'ers will quote the T&Cs specified by the program and some feel their anecdotal data represents the rules. Just about anything can happen. Knowing the rules is important. Knowing some properties will mess up helps. Anything beyond what the rules call for could be reversed at a later time. Anything less than what the rules call for will require you to chase them down.

FDCs are among the worst people to ask about program rules. Some barely know their own property, let along the ins and outs of their chain's loyalty program. Invest some time in reading the T&Cs to see where you might be leaving some points on the table.
This.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:04 am

Points for Spouse

I didn't think this was possible either. My wife rarely travels w/o me. Last month she had a conference in Phoenix. Unfortunately by the time she registered, the conference hotel (Renaissance Glendale) was sold out. I booked a back up hotel and checked their website everyday for a month. The week of the conference a room opened up at the rack rate. I called, explained the situation, and they gladly honored the conference rate, placed her name and her co-worker on the reservation, but used my MR account. They knew I was not staying there but said something along the lines, "you might as well get points for the stay." The day of her flight I used the app and asked if would be possible to have them upgraded to the Club floor. Needless to say, I got major husband points for getting them into the conference hotel with an upgraded room, and MR points as well
Old May 13, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by reslfakb
I didn't think this was possible either. My wife rarely travels w/o me. Last month she had a conference in Phoenix. Unfortunately by the time she registered, the conference hotel (Renaissance Glendale) was sold out. I booked a back up hotel and checked their website everyday for a month. The week of the conference a room opened up at the rack rate. I called, explained the situation, and they gladly honored the conference rate, placed her name and her co-worker on the reservation, but used my MR account. They knew I was not staying there but said something along the lines, "you might as well get points for the stay." The day of her flight I used the app and asked if would be possible to have them upgraded to the Club floor. Needless to say, I got major husband points for getting them into the conference hotel with an upgraded room, and MR points as well
It's great when you can, but the property did not follow the rules, and most times the property staff is the least knowledgeable of the program rules. They only get told what they need to know to process the booking and that's it. I had one FDC congratulate for making Plat and never having to spend more nights to maintain the status. She got an earful but showed me they don't get much training.

But do understand, should MR be able to prove you did not show up (like posting on travel forums) they can pull back the posting and should that keep you from making status, you lose.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
I book 50+ reservations with Marriott every year.

At least 10 are when my wife and I are split in different cities.

I've NEVER had to account for my wife's name when she checks into a different hotel/city as me.

If it's somebody else...it's 50/50 whether I have to call ahead to add their name and/or fill out a CC auth form to get them to check in.

More recently, just adding their name to the res, with my CC gets them in no problem.

I'm not trying to defraud the system - MR rules allow for 3 rooms credit to the member.

Over the years, sometimes I'd book 15+ rooms for my crew...sometimes getting credit for all of them, usually only the three.
One year, MR called me and said that I can't get more than 3 rooms credit.
But it's not like I have ANY control over what they credit me with - so I said fine, they docked me a couple nights and all has been fine since.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I do this from time to time. I use my account to book a room for my wife. When making the reservation I change the name to hers. So I am not looking to fool anyone or break the rules. And yet I have never failed to get the points and she has always received whatever elite benefits I am entitled to at that property (Platinum gift, free Wifi, etc.).
Old May 17, 2016, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by BHammy
MR rules allow for 3 rooms credit to the member.
At the same hotel when the member is occupying one of them.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a difference between:

a)The hotel choosing to give credit when your spouse checks in without you and you changed the name to theirs on the reservation and removed yours

b) you put both names on the reservation and when spouse checks in the spouse says you are arriving later but you aren't
Old May 18, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
There's a difference between:

a)The hotel choosing to give credit when your spouse checks in without you and you changed the name to theirs on the reservation and removed yours

b) you put both names on the reservation and when spouse checks in the spouse says you are arriving later but you aren't
It's clear, yet it's amazing how many people claim not to see that difference.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
I've had a few times where my wife arrived a few days ahead of me and the room was under my name. The hotels usually expect you to be there at some point of the stay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.