Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Michigan and Washington Marriotts bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

Is it just me or are many of the Marriott hotels in Michigan and Washington, D.C., among the worst? I stay here a lot (60 nights between these two places a year) and, honestly, have never been impressed. The Michigan ones in particular, although the Detroit airport Marriott was finally renovated. Southfield, Livonia, East Lansing and even downtown Ren Center in Detroit are very disappointing. In terms of Washington, Key Bridge is a disgrace to the brand.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
By and large, the Michigan properties you mention are simply what I think of as typical Marriott. Not great, not terrible, just okay. The only Michigan property that I can think of that rises above that category is the Inn at Bay Harbor (Renaissance). http://www.innatbayharbor.com/ The Dearborn Inn has some interesting historical rooms, and The Henry (formerly RC) and the Baronette have garnered some favorable mention in certain threads here.

D.C., to me, is a different kettle (fish). Many of the properties are not cookie-cutter, some even have character.

Last edited by ohmark; Dec 10, 2014 at 8:26 am
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Define bad. Need of renovation? Horrible customer service? Outrageous pricing? Poor footprint? Lack of spa services? What specifically is disappointing?

Saying an entire state or district of has "bad" hotels is a bit of hyperbole IMO, especially without context.

Cheers.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Indeed. I had a stay at the Southfield, MI FS not too long ago and it was just fine, it was "Marriott", nothing more, nothing less. A typical business Marriott anywhere just isn't going to "wow" me on a business trip unless I'm upgraded to a huge suite I actually have time & colleagues to use and the CL has good, unlimited food & drink. And those days are long gone...
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Define bad. Need of renovation? Horrible customer service? Outrageous pricing? Poor footprint? Lack of spa services? What specifically is disappointing?

Saying an entire state or district of has "bad" hotels is a bit of hyperbole IMO, especially without context.

Cheers.
Old building, not renovated, general lack of concern or care from staff.

I was at the Marriott in Livonia last week. I kid you not. Restaurant full on a Saturday night -- decent food but Big Boy diner-style service. A table of six left because four of the six dishes had hair in them. The next morning, at breakfast, all but two or three of the dozen yogurts were expired by two weeks.

Funny thing is the rooms here aren't bad and the property is fairly renovated. The fitness room is dated, though. The Southfield Marriott is the worst in the area, though supposedly renovations are occurring now or very soon. If the renovations (just finished) at the airport Marriott are any indication, that's just new wallpaper and carpeting.

I grew up at Marriotts. There are so many ones now that should be closed or moved to a lower level brand. I'll take a good Courtyard any day now over older Marriotts. A good example is the Key Bridge Marriott. Heck, many Holiday Inn hotels are newer and nicer in terms of decor and such.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:30 am
Suspended

The Key bridge is not that bad, especially if you get it thru a BRG and its location is very good, as well. If you are Platinum they try to treat you well.

This post is ridiculous as it is the OP's subjective opinions and his only reference to DC is one hotel -- the Key Bridge property. Consequently, his views are subject to much hyperbole.

Let this thread die its natural and well deserved death.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I stay at various Marriott properties in MI and haven't run into any that really disappoint. Even the former RI East Lansing was OK, and I liked the original building format… a new RI is being constructed about 1 mile away next to TPS. JW in GRR is a stunning property. Ren Baronette in Novi is very nice and has a convenient location. Courtyard in LAN may be a bit tired, but not bad; and the RI in nearby Delta township is very well kept and comfortable.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
The Key bridge is not that bad, especially if you get it thru a BRG and its location is very good, as well. If you are Platinum they try to treat you well.

This post is ridiculous as it is the OP's subjective opinions and his only reference to DC is one hotel -- the Key Bridge property. Consequently, his views are subject to much hyperbole.

Let this thread die its natural and well deserved death.
If you think the Key Bridge Marriott "is not that bad" then you have very, very low expectations. The rooms are beyond dated. The fitness room is one of the worst across the Marriott brand (I have 220 hotel nights under my belt this year).

The Hyatt and Courtyard in Rosslyn are much better value for money.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark
The only Michigan property that I can think of that rises above that category is the Inn at Bay Harbor (Renaissance). http://www.innatbayharbor.com/ The Dearborn Inn has some interesting historical rooms, and The Henry (formerly RC) and the Baronette have garnered some favorable mention in certain threads here.
I would add the JW in Grand Rapids to your list.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by BigJC
I would add the JW in Grand Rapids to your list.
Absolutely!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If you think the Key Bridge Marriott "is not that bad" then you have very, very low expectations. The rooms are beyond dated. The fitness room is one of the worst across the Marriott brand (I have 220 hotel nights under my belt this year).

The Hyatt and Courtyard in Rosslyn are much better value for money.
Then we'll asssume you'll be switching your stays to those properties instead. Enjoy.

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:46 am

The OP's viewpoints tend to be idiosyncratic at best.

This thread is no exception.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Ypsilanti Marriott: adequate suburban Marriott, stayed there on an attractive weekend rate and was given 4 full buffet breakfasts back in the years when hotels weren't obligated to give anything to elites on weekends. Thought the hotel itself was nice and located in nice surroundings. (Golf course adjacent to the property.)

Renaissance Mayflower: very good property, also had awesome service, full-suite upgrade, and "enhanced" (full bottle of sparkling California wine) Platinum amenity on an anniversary stay. One of my favorite hotel lobby happy hours in DC.

Other DC Marriotts (Wardman Park, JW, the one over by the MCI Center, the other Renaissance in Dupont, Key Bridge if you want to count it as "DC"): all adequate examples of their brand. Always upgraded to the quieter wing of the WP. I've stayed at a bunch of the others 1-2 times each and never had a real issue with any of them. JW has some wonky-shaped rooms but as a Gold/Plat I've never had a *bad* room there. No real upgrades, but I assumed that's because DC is chock-full of Plats as well as people outright paying for the suites.

Also stayed at quite a few MD/VA Marriotts for trips to the area: again, no real issues to speak of. The Tyson's Marriott is another one that has given me an upgrade in the past - a large boardroom suite. We sometimes get the Tyson's Ritz on our corp rate and, although it doesn't quite feel that "Ritzy" being stuck to a mall, the service and quality of the hotel itself is fine.

Marriott in DC has a bazillion options, so I always have multiple good choices for my business trips using my corp rate. When I was traveling to DC during one of my runs to SPG Plat, I sometimes had trouble finding a well-located hotel within my price range. During my HH years, I usually find myself in an Embassy Suites in DC. If you like FS brands and are somewhat limited to a corporate rate range, I don't think you're going to beat Marriott.

And to answer the other question upthread, yes, sometimes my stays at these are just "adequate", but definitely not "among the worst". If there's any downside to Marriott having such a large DC presence, it might be that many of the properties are *too* brand-standard. Few if any of them feel unique or boutique. But who among us really expects that out of a DC Marriott?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I can't comment on Michigan as I've never been there (flyover country )

However I don't think the DC properties are among the worst in the chain or the worst in the city. The JW is serviceable and convenient, though IMO grossly overpriced @ $500+ (but often sold out so maybe others feel differently). The Ren Mayflower is older but also good location and sometimes good rates. The Wardman Park is nothing special but convenient to metro, a short walk to Adams Morgan and Cleveland Park, and reasonably priced. The Rosslyn and Bethesda properties would not be my first choice but not the worst rooms in the chain.

So not quite sure what the complaint is. Personally I often go with RC Pentagon City which sometimes has bargain rates - otherwise maybe SPG.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I can't comment on Michigan as I've never been there (flyover country )
Funny, that's what I call California, when I'm on my way to Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.