Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Courtyard (Hong Kong Island) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
" Complimentary Airport Express shuttle (30 mins ride) or hotel shuttle on the half hour between 11am to 1030pm. Hotel shuttle picks up from B2 in Hotel Coach/Limo area at the Hong Kong Airport Express station"
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: HY DIA, HI Gold, M Plat, SPG Gold, AC Plat

Just wrapped up a stay at the Hong Kong Courtyard over the weekend. I had limited expectations going in and it surpassed those. I'm Plat and was upgraded upon arrival to a Harbor view King from the King that was booked on points. The view from their Harborview rooms is actually pretty good, although I will point out out you can't see the Symphony of Lights from the room. Still we enjoyed watching all the activity in the harbor from the room. The rooms are small, but we never felt cramped. As others have mentioned there is literally no room for a third bed in these rooms, so it really needs to be a suite to accommodate a roll away.

Executive Lounge: This lounge was pretty decent. Short of the really loud set of guys from California who were in the lounge and were not asked to quiet down, we were satisfied. The spread in the evening consisted of cheese, dried fruit, several small desserts including cheesecake and chocolate cake and two rotating hot items. For our stay one night we were there it was chicken wings and tempura vegetables. Beer/Wine/Cocktails are complimentary in the evening. They also stocked pepsi products and bottled water. The water bottles here are huge and are the same found in the room (I would guess they are about 1 L). My only critique with the lounge was the attendant. After coming from the Holiday Inn in Makati which has a minimum of three attendants constantly checking in on us, this lounge was staffed by just one employee who rarely assisted guests and sat at his desk most of the time. Plates would pile up on the back area before he would clear them away.

Breakfast Benefit: This hotel allows plats to still have the option of breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant. We had breakfast in the restaurant both days and it was great. They had a variety of both western and Chinese breakfast items available. We especially liked the dim sum they had available but didn't find most of it until the second day. The Pan fried pork dumplings were amazing. We did not try the breakfast in the lounge.

Shuttle: As discussed, this hotel is not on an MTR line, but does have a shuttle. For people that haven't been to Hong Kong (we hadn't prior to this trip), I think its important to note that the shuttle picks up from Hong Kong station on the L2 level where all of the hotel shuttles pick up. We struggled to figure out prior to arriving where the shuttle picked up, so I thought it would be helpful for people in the future. Also, The shuttle runs roughly once an hour, leaving the hotel on the hour and departing the station on the half hour. The bus is large and can accommodate 15-20 people and luggage. Driver was nice, but not overly friendly.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I moved this into its own thread so that it wouldn't be buried in the big Hong Kong omnibus thread.

Bruce
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I stayed at the hotel last month for 2 weeks.

Here's my review of the hotel:

As Plat+Gold we got upgraded to a Harbour view room. If you want suite that's extra HKD950 per night. The first room we got smelled of cigarette (1806), then we got to move to room 2402 (first they offered to use air freshener to spray the room but we didn't accept that).

2402 is a corner room which gives you a better harbour view than the 06s. Sizes are similar - all rooms don't have bathtub. We could smell cigarette if we open the fridge cabinet.

The room was quite worn since our stay 2 years ago. It wasn't well kept at all.

Breakfast: The hotel offers free brekkie for 2 adult and kids under 3 for elites in the restaurant. I don't think the breakfast is good at all. Bread, pastries and Hong Kong bread is hopeless (maybe because I live in Europe). Dim sum there is bought frozen (I could taste it and I saw them taking them out of a tray) - it's hopeless. The noodle stands provide the cheapest ingredients you can find - minced fish products. It's not even that nice.

Omelette station is bad too - it's not just this CY, HK Skycity and even CP Kowloon East can really messed it up. Mr. said that he gave up eating them after 3 days or so. I told them to make a HK style omelette and I got one that is better.

We got an impression that the hotel is trying to save $, you can see this from the brekkie - they don't refill unless they really have to.

One day I talked to a staff asking why there was no hash brown (they put out mashed potatoes instead - which I have never seen in any brekkie spread), he said the supplier hasn't got things delivered yet. The same goes for: orange juice, yoghurt...... but then when we asked these items misteriously showed up on our table. So even though the supplier hasn't delivered the stuff, they still got them?

I'm grateful that the hotel let us have brekkie at the restaurant, but I can imagine if I pay HKD 180 per person for these items, I'll be furious.

The lounge: Spacious and nice. Once again food offerings were poor. We skipped cocktail every day because we only have limited stomach capacity so we prefer getting something better. The offerings were some chicken teriyaki sticks and some spring rolls. It can fill you up but again there are nicer food out there. One lounge attendant I talked to told me that she was told by the management not to give out orange juice. She still gives it out because she wants to please the guest - which is great. We prefer that than unhealthy soda.

During our stay we had to change our key cards 3 times - they blamed it on mobile phones but Mr. put the key card in his shirt pocket and his mobile in his trousers pockets. Very confusing and annoying.

The staff there messed our ressies up so that they cancelled 1 night (in the middle of our stay), when we got back we got a note saying we had to contact them. It was very strange since we thought we have got things sorted out. We never receive any email from Marriott about a ressie being cancelled.

If you want late check-out and you don't get what you want, ask again. First time we were offered until 14.00 but our flight departs at 23.15. Then we asked again and got 6pm check out.

Point/stay posted promptly - even though I had very complicated requests - merging ressie, crediting under mine/Mr. namd (you won't be able to or have a hard time getting them to do this in Europe).

The shuttle leaves promptly to and from the hotel. As previous poster said you need to catch it in L2. There is a great dim sum place called 'Tim Ho Wan' just 1 floor above it. Trust me the dim sum there is much better than the one at the breakfast.

There are great public transport possibilities close to the hotel:

Airport bus A12 leaves from and to the airport gets you right across the hotel. On the display it will say Courtyard hotel, which I remember is the second stop after the tunnel.

At the very same bus stop you can catch a bus to Tsim Sha Tsui + The elements mall (Kowloon station) - where the Ritz is, and it also goes to Mong Kok too.

The tram is right behind the hotel. You can get to the main tourist area with it. The stop is water street. If you go back to the hotel from Central by tram, get off at Ramada hotel and then you cross 2 street then there is the courtyard.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I'm thinking of staying here for 6 nights (not sure if its worth it using points 125K or 100K + $240USD or to just pay the $180 or so per night).

Anyways, for clarification, as a Gold, do I still get lounge access and breakfast? I've never been to a courtyard that had a lounge.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. I reported the details in the lounge open thread. It’s a great property to burn your cat 5 certs.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by nacho
Yes. I reported the details in the lounge open thread. It’s a great property to burn your cat 5 certs.
Thanks. Do you think its worth it to burn 125K for 6 nights (one night free) or to just burn 100K and pay for the last night (1650HKD) to get a better "deal" on the points (5th night free)? I've saved up lots of Marriott points from my business travels but this will be the first time I'm actually using points so I'm a bit of a novice in that area. I could also shorten my trip. I'm thinking I don't need that many days but I'll waste at least one with jetlag. Or am I splitting hairs here
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: HY DIA, HI Gold, M Plat, SPG Gold, AC Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
Thanks. Do you think its worth it to burn 125K for 6 nights (one night free) or to just burn 100K and pay for the last night (1650HKD) to get a better "deal" on the points (5th night free)? I've saved up lots of Marriott points from my business travels but this will be the first time I'm actually using points so I'm a bit of a novice in that area. I could also shorten my trip. I'm thinking I don't need that many days but I'll waste at least one with jetlag. Or am I splitting hairs here
Do you have CAT 1-5 free night certs? If I was you, I'd probably use those. Its a nice hotel, but I tend to save points for the higher properties and use certs when possible. Maybe spend your 6th night at the SkyCity Marriott which is pretty much next to the airport?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Dettmann1
Do you have CAT 1-5 free night certs? If I was you, I'd probably use those. Its a nice hotel, but I tend to save points for the higher properties and use certs when possible. Maybe spend your 6th night at the SkyCity Marriott which is pretty much next to the airport?
No, I only have points. where you get the 5th night free

Switching hotels is a great idea. My flight is at 11:40am so it will be less of a rush. The only issue would be the time between checkout and checkin. but I can get early checkin/ late checkout
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
No, I only have points. where you get the 5th night free

Switching hotels is a great idea. My flight is at 11:40am so it will be less of a rush. The only issue would be the time between checkout and checkin. but I can get early checkin/ late checkout
The airport bus is just outside CY and it runs every 10-15 mins or so, it'll get you to the airport in 30 mins (very little traffic during rush hours due to the route).

Skycity is a cat 6 so it will cost you 5k more points to stay there, plus the time check in and out.

If the rate is 1650 I'll use points (it's 1650 +10%).
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:57 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've stayed at this hotel several times. It's a brillliant location for an overnight stay. It's incredibly easy to get there and away by bus. I wouldn't change the last night, as the bus to the airport picks up just outside and you only have a couple stops enroute to the airport.

However, as much as I like this on an overnight stop, I wouldn't want to stay here on a longer trip. It is at the edge of Central, not well located for sightseeing. I'd at least check to see if my points allowed a stay at the JW, which has a wonderful location in the heart of Central.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've stayed at this hotel several times. It's a brillliant location for an overnight stay. It's incredibly easy to get there and away by bus. I wouldn't change the last night, as the bus to the airport picks up just outside and you only have a couple stops enroute to the airport.

However, as much as I like this on an overnight stop, I wouldn't want to stay here on a longer trip. It is at the edge of Central, not well located for sightseeing. I'd at least check to see if my points allowed a stay at the JW, which has a wonderful location in the heart of Central.
It depends on what you'd like to do during your stay. The location is great if you are into local food and shops. There is a bakery just further up on Water Street, and there are several restaurants on the 'tram road' (this is what local calls the road), and there is a very famous roasted duck (goose?) restaurant(eatery - not a fancy one) nearby (can't remember the name) - it's on Queens Road West, across the municipal building (where there is a market, libaray). Don't get there too late - you will risk that some shops sold out at 9pm - 9:30pm and that will leave you with McDonalds.

Buses going to TST, Mongkok and the airport right across the hotel, so it will make it easy if you are going to Disneyland. There are also trams bringing you to central. I'm pretty happy about the location. It's more convenient compared to the one in Sha Tin, where you will have to make sure you are full before heading back to the hotel.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:23 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
My experiences lie somewhere in between Dettman1 and nacho. I've stayed here probably 8 times now, with 6 of those in the last year and a half.

The rooms are getting a bit tired, but vary. My last stay, it was like a brand-new room. My 2 stays before that, the rooms had scuff marks on the walls and on the auto-blinds. The rooms themselves are of pretty good size (for HK). The TV is decent. Internet speed isn't bad. Staff is adequate--not superb, not horrible.

I personally love the breakfast at MoMo. They make a decent eggs benedict, and I also enjoy the Chinese soup noodles in the AM. For a complimentary (Gold/Plat) breakfast, it's really good--especially considering what I get at Courtyards in the US (). But to me, the evening selection is QUITE lacking...Usually one of the two hot dishes are palatable--I think they go for one Chinese and one Western option. The worst one was the chicken on a stick...Looked good, but bit into it and it was really chewy and hard. I asked the attendant about it, and he said, "Oh, this is chicken cartilage" (maybe he said tendons). Not inherently disgusting, but certainly not appetizing, delicious nor easy to eat.

Personally, I like the fact that there isn't much near the hotel...And that's why the rate is less than other comparable HK properties. It's a 8-10 minute ride to the Convention Center (which is usually why I'm in HK), and I think the taxi runs maybe US$4-$5. Wherever I'm staying in HK, I don't usually venture out much past the hotels anyway...When I'm there to work, I'm usually up by 4 or 5am, and in bed by 7pm. I've done it all in HK over the years (3-4 trips per year X 15 years = a lot of visits), and don't need to be entertained in HK anymore. I detest Tsim Sha Tsui--I don't drink, I don't need a copy watch, suit, nor a 'nice girl'. I have all of those back at home.

I'll be back in a few weeks! It is what it is, a Courtyard. Beyond any other Courtyard in the US, but it's not the Renaissance Harbor View or the JW--then again, it's not supposed to be.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:02 am

Thanks for all the responses.
I've got a little over 125K points. If I were paying to stay at the CY using Govt/Mil rate, it would be about 1320/night so 8712HKG total after fees and such. If I switch hotels its 1320(after fees) for the one night at the skycity. I don't have enough points for any other Marriott property thats closer.
This is a vacation for me and my first time to HK (outside the airport) and I'm staying less than a week. Its more important that I have a clean (newish) room vs a dingy room than having lots of amenities or size. For me a CY style room (by us standards) is sufficient. I could probably even downgrade a little bit, but that's about what I'm looking for in terms of quality. I will plan to do sight seeing and try to eat out for lunch and dinner so that I can try the local cuisine. I am chinese (but only speak mandarin) so the local food should be compatible with me. It is nice to get breakfast for "Free" at the hotel as I may be too lazy to go out and find breakfast EVERY morning. "Dinner" in the lounge wont matter to me as I'll be eating out, but a small dessert at night doesn't hurt.

To sum up what I'm reading, there's an airport shuttle just outside the hotel so no real reason to switch hotels other than saving my points for a better "5th night free" deal.
The hotel is a little out of the way but there are trams/buses that can get me into Central in 10-15min?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if:
1. It is worth it to spend points or if I should wait for another trip (better deal)
2. and if it is worth it, should I pay for the 6th night out of pocket to get a better deal on points.
3. Ofcourse, I don't have to stay at a mariott, there might be a better deal elsewhere.

I suppose I should also add that I am planning a try to sydney in the late summer/early fall time frame for about a week. So another option is that I save my points and use it for that trip instead.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:14 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Quick review: April 2014

Hi,

Just completed a 2 night stay at this property.
As a Plat. member, both the rooms I reserved was upgraded to a harbour view room, one corner and another a standard room. From size point of view, I had expected the corner one to be larger, but sadly this was not the case. Due to the angle of the room, it was much smaller. View was better though.

The building next to the hotel is undergoing renovations, so partial outlook is to the construction mess.

Only 1 room provided access to the lounge for both evening drinks and breakfast. However paying 350++ HKD you can upgrade the additional room for the same benefit. Not too bad a price in my opinion.

Lounge - not too bad evening snack, though it can be quite simple. Only available alcoholic drinks are beer, white and red wine. Not sure if other drinks were available.
Breakfast can be taken either in the lounge or MoMo cafe. Did not check out the lounge, at MoMo I thought it was sufficient.

One setback point which I am still dealing with the hotel is the Platinum arrival gift. I chose to have the wine and cheese, but these items never came during my whole stay. Indicated this during check-out and was asked to take the points and they will come back to me on this. Still waiting for a follow up.

From transportation point of view, even far from any MRT station, using the tram and bus around the corner was perfect to get to all the touristic and SoHo/LKF area. For the airport as indicated, both the A12 and A10 runs frequently just across the road.
For those coming in with the ferry from Macau, I realized too late, but the hotel has a shuttle running to both the Macau Ferry terminal and the Airport express terminal where I believe you can catch it to the hotel too. [I walked the 1.2 km from the ferry terminal to the hotel]

Around the hotel there are quite s few good restaurants and close by the famous dried seafood street.

All in all not too bad a location and property besides the tiny rooms.

Cheers!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.