Wiki Posts
Search

Ski trip/Salt Lake City Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat/PP
Ski trip/Salt Lake City Hotels

Have a ski trip booked for Salt Lake City and need advice on hotels since my options to redeem points seems limited due to Sundance going on at the same time. I tried searching, but didn't see anything recent regarding some of the hotels.

I plan to split my skiing across resorts in Park City and in both Cottonwood Canyons. It looks like my options based on availability are the SpringHill Suites Downtown, Marriott University Park, or RI Cottonwood.

I have previously stayed at the SHS and like the central location to restaurants, highway, having a free breakfast, etc.

I was looking at the Marriott University Park or RI Cottonwood as it saves me some points for future trips. Since I am a Platinum, I should be covered on the breakfast thing at University Park and the RI Cottonwood is just a stones throw from 4 resorts. That being said, does anybody have experience with using either University Park or Cottonwood locations for ski trips?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've stayed at the UP for skiing. As with the downtown hotels, it's well-located it you plan to split your time between Park City and the Cottonwoods. It has one advantage over the downtown full service hotels, namely free parking, while still offering FS amenities. One downside compared to downtown is that you'll need to drive to go to dinner.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum, SW Companion Pass Holder, Royal Caribbean Diamond P
I live very close to both hotels and have stayed as well at most Marriott's in Utah. The Cottonwood heights Marriott is a good location if you plan to split your time, it is just minutes from big and little cottonwood canyons. I was upgraded to a larger 2 bedroom suite as a platinum. Very friendly staff. Typical RI Breakfast. PM me for more suggestions. I have also stayed at the Park City FS Marriott over a dozen times and REALLY love that staff, and Platinum amenities.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've stayed at the RI Cottonwood for skiing and it's an excellent choice - assuming you're just looking for a base as a decent place to sleep. It's not a resort - it's a RI after all - but it's fine, with a few dining choices close by. More important, you are right at the mouth of the canyon to get to Snowbird and Alta, and right on a highway to get other places quickly. All at a very reasonable rewards rate.

We even avoided driving up the canyon (we were forced to one day due to snow) and took the shuttle bus that's less than 2 miles away, dropping us right at the lifts.

I'd certainly do it again.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
If it were me I would stay at the Marriott Mountainside in Park City (probably not available for your dates as you said). I really enjoy being part of the Mountain/Ski Resort experience. If you aren't wanting the atmosphere, then I would go with the RI Cottonwood, less points, and you have a big room, mini kitchen to save some cash on food. Plus they treat you well. I haven't stayed at RI Cottonwood for any times I have skied, but I was their this past June for 3 nights, and thought it was great for my business trip.

Marriott University Park is a great choice, again not a ski resort, but good service and nice hotel. That would be my choice between the 3 you listed.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by mspreh
If it were me I would stay at the Marriott Mountainside in Park City (probably not available for your dates as you said). I really enjoy being part of the Mountain/Ski Resort experience.
The villas have kitchens with stovetops and ovens, and the standard rooms have dishes, silverware, microwave, and mini fridge. There's a large grill by the pool, but I had to go back up to my room a couple of times, and it was a long hike. The heated parking garage has spaces for the big SUVs. Great staff, though I couldn't swing a Plat upgrade.

The only downside is... the turists. But I wasn't going to kick the snowbunnies out of the hot tub.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Mountainside has 5-6 hot tubs and a heated pool.

I always stay at the SLC Marriott City Center. You can get to Cottonwood in 15 mins and shuttle to Brighton or Snowbird.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:50 am

I've stayed at the Cottonwood RI. Great location and outdoor pool and hot tub.

Don't leave anything in your car. They've had lots of break ins in the parking lot. (They won't tell you that when you check in.)
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I ended up choosing the RI as it also seems close to a couple of the ski shops that offer discounted lift tickets and make it easy to upgrade to some powder skis should it dump.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alchook
I've stayed at the Cottonwood RI. Great location and outdoor pool and hot tub.

Don't leave anything in your car. They've had lots of break ins in the parking lot. (They won't tell you that when you check in.)
Thanks for the tip. Do you know if the pool/hot tub is open in the winter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.