Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rumor: 2014 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: 2014 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
just keep in mind that this thread is TOTAL speculation........nothing is confirmed so I wouldn't be relying on it........

Originally Posted by lingzhou
this is definitely a good news

Last edited by BKKLEE; Nov 5, 2013 at 3:26 am
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
I went to make a reservation for March 2014 and it appears that the Boston Marriott Long Wharf has gone to a stratospheric category 9, which seems outrageous, given that they were at cat 7 for a very long time and not much has changed. I've been staying at this hotel for some time. I dug up my old rewards reservations for a sampling of their rewards category over the last 4 years:
  • March 2014 - Category 9
  • March 2013 - Category 8
  • Sept 2012 - Category 8
  • Feb 2012 - Category 7
  • Sept 2011 - Category 7
  • March 2011 - Category 7
  • November 2010 - Category 7
  • Feb 2010 - Category 7
  • Oct 2009 - Category 7
  • June 2009 - Category 7

So, after at least 3 years at category 7, they remodeled the lobby and made it to category 8. After about a year at category 8, they are now up to category 9 with no additional improvements. Meanwhile, the rooms have not changed at all since I started staying there 4 years ago.

A weekend trip that used to take 70k points now takes 90k.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As has been stated many, many time sin this forum, quality of a property has little to nothing to do with Category. It is all about demand.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
As has been stated many, many time sin this forum, quality of a property has little to nothing to do with Category. It is all about demand.
I personally think that is what they want us to believe. Otherwise up-changes should roughly equal down-changes.

I bet its a formula loosely based on average room night rate such as 1 category "cost" for every $50, i.e., $450 or more / 50 = category 9.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:17 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
I personally think that is what they want us to believe. Otherwise up-changes should roughly equal down-changes.
I'm not sure that would necessarily be true. I would think that if the categories are based on award demand, then there would still be a correlation between higher cost and more awards. IOW, the higher the per night cost, the more people would like to use points to stay rather than cash. So Marriott then ups the category level to control the average number of awards used at that hotel. If the number of awards used at a hotel drop (maybe due to a price drop or something similar), they will then lower the category level which would probably then increase award reservations.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
So, after at least 3 years at category 7, they remodeled the lobby and made it to category 8. After about a year at category 8, they are now up to category 9 with no additional improvements. Meanwhile, the rooms have not changed at all since I started staying there 4 years ago.
the only thing that impacts a hotels category is the redemption demand...nothing more, nothing less (just as it is with the other major programs out there)
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bet its a formula loosely based on average room night rate such as 1 category "cost" for every $50, i.e., $450 or more / 50 = category 9.
Hmm...I'm trying to be very careful with what I say here....the first assumption isn't valid - the second assumption is kind of valid but only in the fact that loyalty programs strive to be cost neutral at the end of the day.....I know this will leave some folks scratching their heads but I do need to be careful with the information I disclose
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I'm not sure that would necessarily be true. I would think that if the categories are based on award demand, then there would still be a correlation between higher cost and more awards. IOW, the higher the per night cost, the more people would like to use points to stay rather than cash. So Marriott then ups the category level to control the average number of awards used at that hotel. If the number of awards used at a hotel drop (maybe due to a price drop or something similar), they will then lower the category level which would probably then increase award reservations.
you'd be surprised at the number of hotels that move up a category only to move down the following year as demand changes with the number of points needed to stay (there is a very complex formula that is used by HQ to determine a hotel's category and their reimbursements...note a hotels category does not determine it's reimbursement)
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Demand goes up as total point earning across the whole program goes up.

The only way quality affects category is that quality affects demand.

But people who rant that a specific property isn't worthy of, luxurious enough, whatever to be a Cat 8 or 9, do not understand the system.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
I went to make a reservation for March 2014 and it appears that the Boston Marriott Long Wharf has gone to a stratospheric category 9, which seems outrageous, given that they were at cat 7 for a very long time and not much has changed.
A weekend trip that used to take 70k points now takes 90k.
Long Wharf already is currently a Cat 9. It went up with the 2013 changes.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
But people who rant that a specific property isn't worthy of, luxurious enough, whatever to be a Cat 8 or 9, do not understand the system.
I get the system but at the end of the day I look at how much hotel stay (in terms of dollars and cents) are my points buying.

To illustrate the point further - My wife gets a corporate rate of $149 at the Long Wharf so there is no way in hell I am going to drop 45K points for a night there. Last year she spent 3-4 days a week for nearly 6 months and I often made it to BOS for the weekend but we'd either pay out-of-pocket or move to a different property if we wanted to use points. I am with the other posters that I dont see this property as worthy enough for 45K hard earned points.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I

To illustrate the point further - My wife gets a corporate rate of $149 at the Long Wharf so there is no way in hell I am going to drop 45K points for a night there. I am with the other posters that I dont see this property as worthy enough for 45K hard earned points.
You can't really do a comparison against a negotiated corporate rate to make your analogy. You need to do it vs. regular, non-negotiated rate, as that's what most people will book. Plus, there could be dates (NYC, 4th July come to mind) where the rate could be several hundred $$, in which case 45K points might be a better bargain.

But as Vicki mentions, categories are based on a combo of things.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.