Wiki Posts
Search

Vacations by Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Vacation Packages and Elite Stay Credit Question

If this has been answered before, I apologize. I could not find it anywhere in a search.

I am thinking of booking a Sand Dollar package in Hawaii later this year. I will stay four nights with one of them free in the vacation package.

Does anyone know how elite night credit would work on this (not too worried about points)? Do we get three nights credit for the stay? Four? Zero?

Does anyone have experience booking the vacation package and seeing how it affects their stays and/or points?

I even called the Platinum Elite line and they weren't exactly certain how many nights might (or might not) show up after the stay.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DawgmanOH; Mar 11, 2008 at 7:25 pm Reason: Edited for adding that I called the Platinum Elite line
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I was just looking at this yesterday - the promotion details said 5000 bonus points would be credited, but no stay credit.

I went to the website to get the exact wording for you - and now can't find any mention of bonus points or lack of stay credit!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! This is an odd promo in the way it is worded (and different hotels require different lengths of stay for the free nights). No clear way in telling how much elite credit (if any) and points (if any) are given.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Just found the answer to my own question from a FAQ on the side of the promo:

"Will I earn Marriott Rewards points when I book a Vacations by Marriott?

Yes. Marriott Rewards members will receive 5,000 bonus Marriott Rewards points when you book a Vacations by Marriott package and complete your stay. You will not earn points based on your hotel rate and will not earn elite night credit. You must enter your Marriott Rewards number at the time of booking.
"

The answer is NO, no elite night credit and only 5000 points. Not worth it for me, then.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:08 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
That is if you book a package through Vacations by Marriott (Neat Group).

You can book this rate by using the publicly available S29 promotion code when booking your room for yourself. Just make sure not to select a Sand Dollar package that includes flights OR a rental car as all bookings with flights OR a rental car go through the Neat Group (that is who does the Vacations by Marriott packages).

See Vacation by Marriott page here: http://marriottpackages.neatgroup.co...ramework=true#

See full T&C here: http://marriottpackages.neatgroup.co...ramework=false

Now that didn't answer the OP's original question do you get 3 or 4 nights credit; for which I have no answer or insight other than to say you will get one or the other.

My personal recommendation (not that anyone asked for it) is that people not use Vacations by Marriott, AAVacations, United Vacations or other such thrid parties as they usually have different and quite often worse deposit, change, and/or cancellation policies.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Mar 12, 2008 at 8:22 am Reason: Added unsolicited recommendation
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: United, Marriott Platinum
Marriott Vacations-no stay credit

I recently booked a vacation through Vacations by Marriott. I was not given credit for nights stayed. I called the Rewards line, and was told on a vacation package, I only got points for incidental charges (which I knew) and no credit for night stayed. The same answer was given when I emailed the question. No points or nights stayed for rooms booked through travel agents or consolidators. I understand this policy if booked through a travel agent, but not through an agent trading as "Vacations by Marriott" and sanctioned by Marriott. I think that is awful. What is the benefit for booking a vacation through Marriott? I stayed at Marriott hotels. As a side note, the operator on the Rewards line said it was not possible to book air and rental cars through Marriott! Evidently, she has never seen her own website.

I will never book another vacation through Marriott.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Members will receive 5,000 Marriott Rewards points each time you book a vacations package offered by Vacations by Marriott and complete your stay. Marriott Rewards points will be added to your account approximately 4-6 weeks after you have completed your package travel.

Members must enter their Marriott Rewards number during the vacation package purchase process in order to receive the point.

Members must present their Marriott Rewards number to the front desk at check-in to receive credit for any additional hotel purchases that you may make. Members will not earn elite night credit.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: United, Marriott Platinum
CPRich-
I understand the rule, I just disagree with it.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by MikeB2620
CPRich-
I understand the rule, I just disagree with it.
I think I agree with you. It's not a reward stay...you're paying with cash (or credit). Seems like you ought to get night credits. (Other than the T&Cs, am I missing something?)
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
The rule doesn't make any sense to me either, you would think they would give you more, to use them instead of another agent or web site.

But, sadly, its a rule and its posted, so it is what it is.

When working with travel agents lately, I have often been able to work it out where they book part and I book part, and they have all been willing to go along with it, so I get the best of both worlds. Agent discounts on activities, and hotels that don't have rewards programs, and I book the other hotels and air myself and earn maximum benefits. I had an agent get me $50 off a night at a MO over what they would charge me, with a free room upgrade, and she still make a commission.

Try that with another agency and see if they can get you a good deal.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: All of Them
Coupon Code Good At Both Marriott Vacation sites??

Is a coupon code good for both gomarriottvacations.com and vacationsbymarriott.com?? Reason I ask is a pretty sweet "living social" deal for marriott vacations with great potential if the code they give you is good at gomarriottvacations.com where a car rental is not necessary...
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Richklhs
Is a coupon code good for both gomarriottvacations.com and vacationsbymarriott.com?? Reason I ask is a pretty sweet "living social" deal for marriott vacations with great potential if the code they give you is good at gomarriottvacations.com where a car rental is not necessary...
may I ask about the living social deal? Where did you find it?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Here it is, $50 for $150: http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1...es-by-marriott
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:28 am

LivingSocial Deal Good @

The terms and conditions indicate that the LivingSocial offer is bookable through VacationsbyMarriott.com.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
From the FAQ:

Q: Will I receive Marriott Rewards® points for purchasing a package?

A: Marriott Rewards members will receive 5,000 Rewards® points for booking a vacation package on Vacations by Marriott. In addition, members will receive points for incidentals during their stay. Rewards® points are credited to the member’s account 4-6 weeks after travel is completed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.